Breitling's Thermoline Quartz

Breitling's Thermoline Quartz

Postby TemerityB » December 29th 2014, 10:17pm

I was glancing at a watch magazine at my local bookstore, and an article claimed that Breitling's SuperQuartz (a variation of the ETA Thermoline...I guess) movement "may be the most accurate quartz movement in the world." As someone not really into Breitling, I found that claim really interesting - anyone experience that movement first-hand?

Like I've stated before, I'm no WIS; I got all worked up over Bulova's Precisionest movement years ago, yet stayed ignorant of other accurate quartz movements. The more I try to learn, the more I don't know.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Breitling's Thermoline Quartz

Postby Don Barzini » December 29th 2014, 11:16pm

It's "just" an ETA Thermoline E20.341, COSC standards of +/-0.07 sec/day. Breiling says their COSC quartz - B-78 - is spec'd at +/-15 sec/year. I don't think there are substantive modification, unlike the fully mechanical Breitling calibers.

I've owned a couple B-1 Superquartz but never bothered to check if they were within 2 seconds a month.

It's a heck of a nice analog/digital movement. And the B-1...well, it's one of the nicest fucking watches I've owned.
I think we need a Newer New Testament. You know, the one where God reveals His new covenant with corporations.
Don Barzini
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » December 29th 2014, 11:34pm

I find it interesting that, in a day where nearly everybody has access to highly accurate timekeeping, companies like ETA continue to make movements that are almost balls-on dead accurate with no outside intervention (like atomic-clock-signal or Citizen's and Seiko's new GPS watches.) When you think of it, it's really only a short lifetime (or, in Mortuus's case, a very long lifetime) since everybody had a watch you either wound by hand or wound automatically. While many quartz movements are spec'd to +/- 15 seconds a month, most run far better than that. The SuperQuartz movements are, for the sake of argument, pretty much as accurate as one could want.

The result of this has been to truly democratize timekeeping. Forty years ago only the pretty wealthy could own a really accurate watch; today, nearly anybody can.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jason_recliner » December 29th 2014, 11:58pm

The article is not, technically, 100% incorrect as they did not state that the Thermoline is the most accurate, only that it may be the most accurate. Which it is not. Plenty of Seikos and Citizens at 10 s/yr and some LEs are rated at 5 s/yr.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » December 30th 2014, 12:10am

conjurer: The result of this has been to truly democratize timekeeping. Forty years ago only the pretty wealthy could own a really accurate watch; today, nearly anybody can.

That's a great point. I mean, during the Christmas time sales at Macy's, I saw early Bulova Precisionist models selling for like 89 dollars. To me, that's a great gateway watch in that, at the very least, it's an attempt to be a really good economy-priced quartz movement.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » December 30th 2014, 7:34am

TemerityB wrote:conjurer: The result of this has been to truly democratize timekeeping. Forty years ago only the pretty wealthy could own a really accurate watch; today, nearly anybody can.
That's a great point. I mean, during the Christmas time sales at Macy's, I saw early Bulova Precisionist models selling for like 89 dollars. To me, that's a great gateway watch in that, at the very least, it's an attempt to be a really good economy-priced quartz movement.

About the Precisionist, I'm reading recurrent issues like not living up to the claimed 10 seconds a year and short battery life , still for $89? is a no brainer.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » December 30th 2014, 8:38am

eddiea wrote:
TemerityB wrote:conjurer: The result of this has been to truly democratize timekeeping. Forty years ago only the pretty wealthy could own a really accurate watch; today, nearly anybody can.

About the Precisionist, I'm reading recurrent issues like not living up to the claimed 10 seconds a year and short battery life , still for $89? is a no brainer.

I can vouch for the batttery life claim. Got about 2 1/2 years out of the Cleremont.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » December 30th 2014, 10:42am

I have 2 precisionists that had a battery life of just under 3 years. Accuracy wasn't near 10 secs./year. More like 40-48 secs which was OK by me since I have to stop and reset every 6 months for DST. 24 secs between bi-annual setting is pretty damned good. Should be noted that I haven't replaced the batteries yet, after 6 months.

Back on topic..........................Jeebus!!! how accurate do people want their Kwarts watches to be?? Is it worth it the extra $$$ to get a fancy pants thermo nuclear quarts for just maybe a couple minutes a year?? get a Damned atomic wartch. Jeebus again!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » December 30th 2014, 11:14am

foghorn wrote:Back on topic..........................Jeebus!!! how accurate do people want their Kwarts watches to be?? Is it worth it the extra $$$ to get a fancy pants thermo nuclear quarts for just maybe a couple minutes a year?? get a Damned atomic wartch. Jeebus again!

I guess people who want their watches to be more accurate than a couple of minutes a year.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Breitling