Poor Man's Snowflake

Poor Man's Snowflake

Postby tiktok » March 13th 2018, 10:17pm

After some discussion with the Hawk I came to the realization that there really aren't that many variations on the watch they call Grand Seiko. The engine comes in a few variations - manual, HAQ, automatic, hi beat auto and spring drive. Also there is like one major complication in the gmt, one in the vertical clutch chrono and the power reserve display. But beyond that most GS are pretty much the same until forever, especially now that the logo switch was completed in smooth order. But this year's lineup was pretty mundane outside the peacock parade and the linen dial with makeup in the composition.
On the other hand the Presage line keeps knocking it out of the park at relatively accessible prices. Two years ago they put out quite a number of lacquered dials with numerous complications. This past year it was the blue enamel LE which at least to me was nowhere near as hot looking as the lacquer dials but they made up for that in so many ways. The strap on the blue enamel was incredibly high quality paired with flawless deployant. One of the most comfortable watches at any price point.

Now the JDM Presage is offering a reasonably priced Snowflake in titanium with that same famous fuzzy dial that made the GS snowflake one of the two most iconic GS models along with the SBGE001 or whatever its new number might be. Under a thousand with the 6R movement and a dial that pretty much looks like the pricier GS, and a titanium case and bracelet with the diashield protective coating. The watch is in the perfect fit zone, 40x48x11mm thick. Photos from Chino.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Poor Man's Snowflake

Postby artman » March 14th 2018, 1:08am

That's pretty classy. At first glance I thought it was a GS.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » March 14th 2018, 3:14am

A beauty..on my short list..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby catnap » March 14th 2018, 3:28am

Hoity toity in every way.
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby Wasp » March 14th 2018, 5:18am

That watch is very nice. Band, dial, face case and bezel all ring a High C.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » March 14th 2018, 8:06am

That's pretty impressive. Diashield is supremely awesome. I can't find anything to bitch about with this one, apart from wishing it was 38mm instead of 40.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » March 14th 2018, 8:14am

Nice watch,indeed.
Too bad it has the unfortunate nickname or "Poor Man's"
I hate "Poor man's" designated watches as well as any watch that is a "baby" something.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Return to Seiko and Citizen