Difference between Seiko SARY075 and SARB065?

Difference between Seiko SARY075 and SARB065?

Postby koimaster » November 22nd 2017, 10:00am

Found at Reddit -

To begin, if you'd ever like to compare two Seiko watches together you can go to http://www.watchsleuth.com/

The main difference between the two models is the movement inside them. The SARY075 utilizes the 4R35 caliber Seiko movement while the SARB065 utilizes the legendary 6R15 caliber Seiko movement. Both movements are automatic, hand-winding, and hacking (meaning the second hand stops when the crown is fully pulled out). Both movements were derived from the Seiko 7R series of movements before them which didn't allow for hacking. Both movements beat at 21,600 bph (beats per hour) and both are 23 jewel movements. This however is where the similarities stop.

The 4R35 has an expected accuracy of +45/-35 (that's the range of how many seconds per day the movement is expected to gain or lose, but my experience with Seiko movements so far has shown that they are generally much more accurate than what is stated in the manual). The 4R35 also has a power reserve of 41 hours. The legendary 6R15 has an expected accuracy of +25/-15 with a power reserve of 50 hours.

I have never owned a Seiko with a 4R35 movement, however my Seiko SARB065 is at +(8-10) seconds depending on when I get around to resynchronizing it with http://www.time.gov in the morning. Obviously a far cry from +25 seconds.

Other than the "guts" of the watches themselves it's basically just aesthetics. Both utilize the sunburst dial effect, both are in silver stainless-steel cases, and both have crowns at the 3 o'clock position. The only difference being one is white that occasionally turns light blue depending on the light, and the other is blue all the time. Also, the SARY075's case is 1mm larger at 41mm.

From what I'm finding at the time of this post you can find the SARY075 for about $330 while you can find the SARB065 for somewhere around the $400 mark. If it's a matter of money I would say do what's best for you, never take money from necessities to buy a watch outside your financial comfort zone. If it's a matter of style I can't decide that for you either as you're the one that is going to have to live with your purchase. However if I was making this choice I would still chose the SARB065 due to the fact that it has the 6R15 movement. There are Seiko automatics at the $1,000 price point that still utilize the 6R15 movement so you're getting one hell of a movement for a far better price.

I hope this was helpful and either way you can't go wrong with a Seiko automatic.

TL:DR - The two watches have different internals, the SARB065, while more expensive, has the superior movement compared to the SARY075.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/commen ... ry075_and/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Difference between Seiko SARY075 and SARB065?

Postby foghorn » November 22nd 2017, 10:25am

Why did Seiko feel the need to put a "lesser" movement in this line? Isn't the 4R series just a slight upgrade from the miserable 7s series?
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » November 22nd 2017, 10:31am

foghorn wrote:Why did Seiko feel the need to put a "lesser" movement in this line? Isn't the 4R series just a slight upgrade from the miserable 7s series?

Who knows why Seiko does weird shit? I suppose they changed movements because the 4Rs are cheaper, and so were able to drop the retail price. While the 4Rs are cheaper than 6R15s, I've owned watches with both, and each movement was pretty accurate (much better than the 7s, at any rate.)

The only advantage of getting the Cocktail with the 6R movement that I can see is a little better value on the flip--but if you're buying Seiko new, worrying about the flip is kinda silly.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » November 22nd 2017, 10:45am

conjurer wrote:
foghorn wrote:Why did Seiko feel the need to put a "lesser" movement in this line? Isn't the 4R series just a slight upgrade from the miserable 7s series?

Who knows why Seiko does weird shit? I suppose they changed movements because the 4Rs are cheaper, and so were able to drop the retail price. While the 4Rs are cheaper than 6R15s, I've owned watches with both, and each movement was pretty accurate (much better than the 7s, at any rate.)

The only advantage of getting the Cocktail with the 6R movement that I can see is a little better value on the flip--but if you're buying Seiko new, worrying about the flip is kinda silly.

The new cocktail is thinner due to the movement and it is 41.5mm vs 39.5 of the original

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to Seiko and Citizen