Ultimate Seiko Tuna Collector’s Guide

Ultimate Seiko Tuna Collector’s Guide

Postby koimaster » October 24th 2017, 3:54pm



In 1975, A saturation diver from Kure City in the Hiroshima prefecture of Japan sent Seiko a complaint regarding the reliability of it’s existing line of professional dive watches. The complaint exposed some notable flaws in it’s existing design, most notably their susceptability to the absorption of helium gas, a component of the air mixture that saturation divers were enveloped in.

In response, Seiko’s engineers (led by Ikuo Tokunga), set out to make the perfect dive watch for professional saturation divers. Nicknamed the “Tuna” because of it’s cylindrical slab of lugless casing, the resulting product was a marvel of modern engineering. It’s monocoque titanium case, L-shaped gasket, and unique shrouded design were all firsts in the industry.

The result was a watch that was impervious to helium gas penetration, and one that could withstand the pressure of massive depths up to 600m. It instantly became a modern classic for Seiko, and has been in continuous production for the last 42 years.

The Tuna has evolved over the years, although many of the modern incarnations share the iconic design of their predecessors. Available in a variety of sizes, materials, and colors, the Seiko Tuna is an extremely collectible model with a rich history and an affordable price-point.

Today, the Seiko Tuna is powered primarily by Seiko’s innovative 7C46A quartz movement. Although many purists will look down upon the fact that the majority of Seiko Tuna’s are battery powered, a deeper look suggests that this unique movement is one of the most robust and highest quality quartz movements money can buy.

Let’s take a deeper look

https://www.60clicks.com/ultimate-seiko ... -183428485

Behind the Shroud The Complete Seiko Tuna report.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Ultimate Seiko Tuna Collector’s Guide

Postby Racer-X » October 24th 2017, 4:22pm

Enjoyed that.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » October 24th 2017, 4:47pm

I see he is using one of my Arnie pics uncredited. Asshole.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » October 24th 2017, 4:54pm

He missed one. Due to being current production perhaps?

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » October 24th 2017, 6:37pm

Missed the 7c43-6020, quartz, 200m, 42mm, mini Tuna. It's been on my list for 3 years, very tough to find.

Original shroud was black plastic, stainless is an aftermarket upgrade.
Photo by tfarchio of WUS

Photo by dougjim8 of tz-uk
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » October 24th 2017, 10:49pm

bedlam wrote:I see he is using one of my Arnie pics uncredited. Asshole.

You want me and cod to pay this jamoke a visit and fuck him up? We'd be happy to fuck him up.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 6:57am

conjurer wrote:

You want me and cod to pay this jamoke a visit and fuck him up? We'd be happy to fuck him up.

Do wot u gotta do Mr conj.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » October 25th 2017, 7:32am

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Do wot u gotta do Mr conj.

Mike Johnson is the managing editor and primary contributor to 60clicks.com. Born into a military family as the son of US Navy pilot, Mike spent many of his formative years studying Computer Science and User Experience Design. When not obsessing over watches, AND STEALING IMAGES FROM THE INTERNET AND NOT PROVIDING ATTRIBUTION, Mike spends time hiking, traveling, and spending time with his family in Phoenix, Arizona.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Hawk » October 25th 2017, 7:34am

conjurer wrote:You want me and cod to pay this jamoke a visit and fuck him up? We'd be happy to fuck him up.

At a minimum he should be compelled to remove the word "ultimate" from the title of his guide. Otherwise we risk him doing a follow up Ultimate Guide to Seiko Movements and forgetting about Spring Drive.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Return to Seiko and Citizen