2012 Smellody’s year in review. . .

Threads from 2012 & earlier

2012 Smellody’s year in review. . .

Postby smellody » December 30th 2012, 8:32am

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Smellody’s year in review. . .[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 was a great watch year. My collection took off in a new direction dwindling from some 60 watches to 25. All sales proceeds were used to buy some “better” watches, but as we all know, beauty is the eye of the beholder.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Watch #1:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']Image[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']My birthday Tudor Sub. Model 76100. Came with all boxes and papers. My jeweler serviced it and polished the crystal. I found a nice Tudor Hydronaut rubber strap with deployant on E-Bay and quickly united the two. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Watch #2:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']While picking up my Tudor Sub, I stumbled on the Greenwich Chronograph. My father has a Gevril from the mid-90’s and I was taken by the build quality and little enamored by the gold. So I started selling off some watches.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']I think it is a fabulous watch and is my “go to” when I have to wear a suit. The chronograph in this one is the 51 jewel Dubois-Depraz 2025. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Watch #3:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']I saw Ron, Barnbuilder, back in April and started sourcing bits for another build. The result was the Hamilton Montgomery. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman']I think the jewel to this watch is the Hamilton decorated ETA 6498.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']
[/font]
[font='Times New Roman']Ron is a master craftsman and cased this up for me at the kitchen counter in about 15 minutes.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Watch #4:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']The picture says it all. Wow! Can’t believe it is mine. 1974 Rolex 1680. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Watch #5:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']In selling off all the watches to fund the Gevril and 1680 I found I was without any warranted “fun” watches. Before our annual summer trip to Maine I picked this one up:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']Incredible lume on this one!!! In 2013, I think I am going to find a quartz one with a bracelet and steal the bracelet for the automatic. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Watch #6:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']Wow, I just realized that I’ve had a really good watch year. Over the summer I decided I really needed a Breitling and picked up the Superocean A17360 from Northwestguy:
[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']This one has kind of a cool back story. As some of you may know, I also collect vintage saxophone from the 10’s and 20’s of the last century. Back in college, the first time, I stumbled across a German saxophone from 1938. Not too rare, but the stencil work made it rare. It was embossed with Eagle and Swastika. OK, I’m not a weird Nazi memorabilia collector, but realized the historical significance and snatched it up for a couple of hundred bucks. The saxophone symbolized the German future, but the horn was not playing jazz it would have been belting out National anthems. I found a guy on the web collecting an entire orchestra of Nazi horns so I sold off the horn and bought the Breitling and a few other things. I didn’t really like the stigma of the horn, but I am glad it went to a proper collection. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Watch #7:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']The Armand Nicolet Sloop Royal GMT is just in. I’ve been working on a TT GMT Rolex but the deal fell through, this watch is pretty nice and is good GMT placeholder.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman'][url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/20121218074902170.jpg/]Image
[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2012 Other:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']Just had to make mention of my new Omega bracelet:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']I bought my PO right when they came out in the early 2000’s and wish I had initially stepped up and bought one on a bracelet. I could only afford the crocodile. It looked nice, but was not quite right for a diver like the PO. Over the years, I tried a rubber PO strap and a couple of leather straps. All were nice, but the Omega mesh is a masterpiece:[/font]

[font='Tahoma']Image[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']2013:[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']I’ve recently sold off a few more. The Tudor Black Bay is my next purchase; I’m a third of the way there. It will be on bracelet.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman']That is my story guys. How about you? [/font]
Last edited by Anonymous on December 30th 2012, 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: facts

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Re: 2012 Smellody’s year in review. . .

Postby conjurer » December 30th 2012, 9:35am

A superb collection! I got a couple Orients.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Steelhead » December 30th 2012, 10:26am

I didn't get anything worth mentioning in 2012, but 2013 could start out differently. My mother knows someone who is going to Japan in January, and I asked if they could pick up a Sumo for me.
"And they will know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance on them"
-- Ezekiel 25:17
Steelhead
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » December 30th 2012, 10:52am

I added diddly squat this year but will thin the herd in '13 to fund a few I've got my eye on. My personal favorite of yours is that Hamy man, freakin' awesome; even better since you built it. I've always wanted to build one myself, but having been the D- poster-boy in shop, probably not going to happen.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby jaw » December 30th 2012, 11:17am

Good work Chris. Proud of your ability to sell off those watches. Need a pretty big forcing function to do the same myself and I hope the DSSD will do it. Otherwise 2012 was a great year for me.

1. Breitling Chrono Avenger
2. Sinn Arktis
3. Omega Seamaster Pro
4. Halios Bluering (unexpected opportunity)
5. Rolex Explorer II 42mm

Last edited by Anonymous on December 30th 2012, 3:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby nous defions » December 30th 2012, 11:21am

Tremendous collection!
nous defions
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » December 30th 2012, 11:55am

conjurer wrote:A superb collection! I got a couple Orients.

This made me laugh its the way you said it. I got a couple of Orients. Image
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby Horse Feathers » December 30th 2012, 12:22pm

conjurer wrote:A superb collection! I got a couple Orients.

Smellody, all great choices and the Hammy is over the top

Was ready to just say "I got a rock" for a cheap laugh but thinking back I picked up my first Orient, a new Seiko, a Bulova and was gifted a very nice Sea-Gull. Not to bad in a planned year of planned austerity

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » December 30th 2012, 12:24pm

smellody wrote:[font='Times New Roman']2012 Smellody’s year in review. . .[/font]
[font='Times New Roman']2012 was a great watch year. My collection took off in a new direction dwindling from some 60 watches to 25. All sales proceeds were used to buy some “better” watches, but as we all know, beauty is the eye of the beholder.[/font]

"When I was thirty eight, It was a very good year"Image
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » December 30th 2012, 12:34pm

Oh BTW Smellody that 1680 Rolex is killer. I would love to see Rolex make a limited edition model like that even though I wouldn't be able to afford one, but still it would be bad ass.
abduksion

Postby koimaster » December 30th 2012, 1:09pm

Way to go Chris!

I added a couple, still looking for the Breguet Marine, maybe this upcoming year.

Stowa Seatime COSC

Frederique Constant

Armand Nicolet Traven

Roamer ( beater watch)

Hamilton Intra-Matic

This one-

And this one-

A few G-shocks to beat up

[IMG]hImage

Casio Super Luminator for movies

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby abduksion » December 30th 2012, 1:48pm

Killer watches Alain. As for my 2012 buys.
Casio Marlin 200m

Bulova Precisionist

Casio moon phase/tide (now a beater) cheap ass plastic crystal.

Citizen Promaster 300m diver

Seiko Pilots Chronograph

Invicta SAN IV GMT ( I'm not proud of this buy) At the time I wanted a GMT but didn't want to spend a lot for one. I now regret it.

Citizen Dress Eco Drive

Orient Mako ( Christmas gift but I did pick it out Image )

Invicta Speedway gifted by Alain

abduksion

Postby smellody » December 30th 2012, 2:08pm

Thanks guys. Nice watches everyone. Great watches Koi and Abduksion. Koi I've seen you Constant in person. Really nice.

Great pick-ups Jaw. Your Breitlings were the inspiration for my Breitling push. Conjurer, I think your Orients are kick ass.

Here is to a lucrative 2013.

I'm looking forward to a 1.45% cost of living increase. That should offset the cost of milk or allow some interest free value payments. . . just kidding.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » December 30th 2012, 2:12pm

smellody wrote:Thanks guys. Nice watches everyone. Great watches Koi and Abduksion. Koi I've seen you Constant in person. Really nice.

Great pick-ups Jaw. Your Breitlings were the inspiration for my Breitling push. Conjurer, I think your Orients are kick ass.

I'm looking forward to a 1.45% cost of living increase. That should offset the cost of milk or allow some interest free value payments. . . just kidding.

You are one classy bastard, smellody. Goddamn it.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » December 30th 2012, 2:23pm

smellody wrote:Thanks guys. Nice watches everyone. Great watches Koi and Abduksion. Koi I've seen you Constant in person. Really nice.

Thanks for the kind words. I was gonna gift my cousin the SAN IV but I couldn't due to the cheap ass cracked poly strap and stripped screws. Never again will I buy anymore Invicters with poly straps they suck monkey ass.
abduksion

Postby Kahuna74 » December 30th 2012, 3:03pm

Awesome collection smellody. And the same to the rest of you lords. As for me I picked up and Orient Ti Beast, Eco-Zillo, Vintage Citizen Diver, Wyler Vetta Chronograph, NFW Viperfish and to other Citizens, the NightHawk Chronograph and a super Chronograph. For 2013 I am only looking for one watch I think. Would like to replace my vintage Heuer that was stolen as few years back.
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » December 30th 2012, 3:26pm

Kahuna74 wrote:Awesome collection smellody. And the same to the rest of you lords. As for me I picked up and Orient Ti Beast, Eco-Zillo, Vintage Citizen Diver, Wyler Vetta Chronograph, NFW Viperfish and to other Citizens, the NightHawk Chronograph and a super Chronograph. For 2013 I am only looking for one watch I think. Would like to replace my vintage Heuer that was stolen as few years back.

If there's one watch on my 2013 radar its the Citizen Caliber 2100 the older model not the newer one. Had a chance to buy one back in 2010? for a stupid low price. I passed up on it and been kicking myself ever since. I still want to add a Citizen Campanola Grand Complications, Casio Frogman and a few more automatics.
abduksion

Postby Watch Noob » December 30th 2012, 3:35pm

excellent maneuvering of your collection Chris. Image
Watch Noob
Founding Member

Postby Hawk » December 30th 2012, 3:40pm

2012 seems to be providing some focus for the noob. In exchange for focus some baggage in the way of a single brand seems to have settled its geeky self on me. I'll try to rectify the second but the focus on 40mm plus or minus, discrete tritium and sedate design seems locked in for the time being.

The last was lifted from Topper because my pic sucks.

2013 is shaping up to be watchless. Much like when I found what I really liked in other hobbies, I gave up collecting for a spell until something came along ...

Happy New Years Y'all!
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby fatman » December 30th 2012, 3:50pm

Nice job Smellody.

As for me, I sold off most all of my collection to buy my Land Cruiser. I have not regretted that decision at all. My philosophy is, I wear the same master2000 to work every day and it was tough picking between 20 or so watches to wear on my off days. I drive the LC everyday and love every minute of it.

I have started my collection in a different direction and I have to thank all of the long time members And some of the newer members
HERE for keeping my intrest in watches.

Thanks to you all.
HF
fatman
ASSHAT

Postby abduksion » December 30th 2012, 3:51pm

Hawk wrote:2012 seems to be providing some focus for the noob. In exchange for focus some baggage in the way of a single brand seems to have settled its geeky self on me. I'll try to rectify the second but the focus on 40mm plus or minus, discrete tritium and sedate design seems locked in for the time being.

The last was lifted from Topper because my pic sucks.

2013 is shaping up to be watchless. Much like when I found what I really liked in other hobbies, I gave up collecting for a spell until something came along ...

Happy New Years Y'all!

That GMT Ball is killing me. Image
abduksion

Postby Hawk » December 30th 2012, 4:50pm

abduksion wrote:

GMT has become my favorite complication by far.

As to why this is I am, and remain, clueless.
It's just one of those things....
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby abduksion » December 30th 2012, 5:00pm

Hawk wrote:
abduksion wrote:

GMT has become my favorite complication by far.

As to why this is I am, and remain, clueless.
It's just one of those things....

I'm also a big sucker for GMT's and world timers. If I had the cash I would add an A.Lange & Sohne Lange 1 Timezone and a Patek Philippe 5110.
abduksion

Postby AntFarm » December 30th 2012, 6:16pm

Wow great pick-ups All.
Only 5 new this year.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » December 30th 2012, 6:41pm

smellody wrote:Great pick-ups Jaw. Your Breitlings were the inspiration for my Breitling push.

You both are enablers;

codguy
ASSHAT

Next

Return to Watchlord Archives