Shinola's Jackie Robinson Products

Watch brands with roots in North America

Shinola's Jackie Robinson Products

Postby TemerityB » April 17th 2017, 11:14am

From Forbes;

Shinola’s Great Americans Series honors heroes from the United States’s history; these are generally individuals such as Maya Angelou and the Wright Brothers who helped shape America’s culture in a positive way. The fifth installment of this interesting series of watches honors Jackie Robinson, who is best known for being the first African-American baseball player in the major leagues when he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Lesser known is that he was also a human rights activist and an entrepreneur, also becoming the first African-American to serve as a vice-president of a major American corporation along the way.

Shinola’s latest specialty watch is available only in a limited edition of 442 pieces (“42” was Robinson’s now-retired number), but it is sold as part of a packaged gift set that includes a mini pennant, a set of three pins, and a four-pack of postcards. A portion of the proceeds will go directly to the non-profit Jackie Robinson Foundation, an organization that addresses the financial needs of minority students aspiring to attend college and helps place them in jobs and internships. The Jackie Robinson Foundation was established by Jackie’s wife, Rachel in 1973.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabethd ... 1cbafe7c68
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Shinola's Jackie Robinson Products

Postby Racer-X » April 17th 2017, 11:52am

Nice looking watch and not so thick for a change. But a $1,500 Quartz from a company willing to put their name on a toilet seat? Hmm, not so sure about that.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » April 17th 2017, 11:56am

I'm not too sure how I feel about this.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » April 17th 2017, 12:49pm

conjurer wrote:I'm not too sure how I feel about this.

I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

Limited editions, special editions, cheap swag included, like these painted pins and post cards (so you can send them to your best pals to show them what a maroon you are) hats, warlets, certificates of authenticity, and whatnot all just amounts to paying $1500 for a $200- $250 watch, which in and of itself is really pretty nice looking.

A maroon and his money...
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » April 17th 2017, 1:54pm

While I do like the Shinolas and Filson that I have I do have to say that they have jumped that shark.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Rusty » April 17th 2017, 6:12pm

I love the watch...and by Thanksgiving it will available at my local TJ Maxx for $149......
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » April 17th 2017, 8:11pm

Overpriced quartz, Invicta-like inflated retail prices in relation to the real value....pass
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby biglove » April 17th 2017, 8:50pm

A $200 watch that has nothing to do with the historical figure it supposedly is a tribute to, and at a ridiculous MSRP.

I am going to have to say Shinola has gone to shit.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » April 18th 2017, 12:28am

Racer-X wrote:Nice looking watch and not so thick for a change. But a $1,500 Quartz from a company willing to put their name on a toilet seat? Hmm, not so sure about that.

Yeppers... :???:
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » April 18th 2017, 12:32am

Rusty wrote:I love the watch...and by Thanksgiving it will available at my local TJ Maxx for $149......

i hoap u r rite ubowt dat, ass eye wood lyke dat wartch...an them bazebawl hatts, 2...
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » April 18th 2017, 4:47am

foghorn wrote:While I do like the Shinolas and Filson that I have I do have to say that they have jumped that shark.

I have a Filson backpack. They managed to combine the best possible workmanship with some really poor design choices that only really became apparent with use. Frustrating.

Shinola feels a little the opposite...goodish designs combined with average build choices and a hilariously try-hard backstory.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 18th 2017, 9:36am

After some quiet reflection on the subject, filled with angst, and consulting some important books on philosophy, design and horology, I now know how I feel about this.

That watch makes me fucking puke my fucking guts out, while hammering a Cabriole table leg up my rectum.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby hcharles » April 18th 2017, 9:46am

conjurer wrote:

That watch makes me fucking puke my fucking guts out, while hammering a Cabriole table leg up my rectum.

But you could apply some Shinola shoe polish to the cabriole table leg to make hammering up your rectum easier.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
hcharles
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » April 18th 2017, 9:52am

What does Jackie Robinson have to do w/ the Motor City, anyway..I agree, $1,500.00 for a $250.00 watch is what it is...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to North American Roots