David Sokosh, Founder of Brooklyn Watches

Watch brands with roots in North America

David Sokosh, Founder of Brooklyn Watches

Postby koimaster » October 20th 2016, 8:29am

Meet David Sokosh, proprietor, designer and crafter of the Brooklyn Watches line. We first met David at the Brooklyn Flea, an eclectic collection of vendors that runs year-round in Fort Greene and Williamsburg, Brooklyn. We were immediately drawn to the classic aesthetic of David’s watches, so we inquired about the details.
That’s when we realized just how unique these pieces are. A vintage Unitas movement that David has found and restored himself powers each watch. The cases, dials and hands are a mix of custom and stock pieces that David sources and then assembles. Distinctly of a different era, but with some modern details, the watches exude a timeless elegance that fits in perfectly with today’s trends towards heritage fashion. You’d assume that these unique pieces with vintage movements cost a small fortune. You’d be wrong. They average in the $500 – $700 range, a great price for such exceptional watches.

David was nice enough to sit down with Zach and me to chat about his love of all things antique, his history with horology, and of course, his outstanding timepieces.

David Sokosh: I apprenticed with a clock maker when I was about 20. I worked with him for a couple years in Connecticut, and then went back to school for photography. Then I came to New York and worked in the photo industry for a long time, and always did clock repair and restoration for myself and for other people as favors.

http://wornandwound.com/brooklyn-watches-interview/

http://www.davidsokosh.com/NewFiles/watches.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: David Sokosh, Founder of Brooklyn Watches

Postby koimaster » April 13th 2017, 12:04pm

1946-2006