Finally, Actually ... American Made?

Watch brands with roots in North America

Finally, Actually ... American Made?

Postby TemerityB » June 21st 2016, 9:08pm

The resurgence of American manufacturing has hit the style industry hard, but it has been slow to bleed into the watch industry (Shinola’s dubious claims aside). America’s watch industry was once thriving, with companies like Hamilton, Elgin and Waltham churning out movements en masse. Yet in the later half of the 20th century, as mechanical watch sales began to decline, so too did the industry. It’s been decades since watch movements have been produced in large numbers in the USA. Thankfully, that looks like it’s about to change with the help of a small American watchmaker.

http://gearpatrol.com/2016/06/21/weiss- ... -movement/
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Finally, Actually ... American Made?

Postby Mortuus » June 21st 2016, 9:32pm

:?
Mortuus
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » June 21st 2016, 9:36pm

Will be interesting to see the price this one is available at. Was claimed originally that her would sell the new movement watches at the same price point as the ETA movement watches, $950.

Color me skeptical; but, with so many companies' duplicitous claims about watch and watch part origins, I really do hope this one is true.

Not a fan of the blue lettering on the movement though.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » June 22nd 2016, 8:16am

biglove wrote:Will be interesting to see the price this one is available at. Was claimed originally that her would sell the new movement watches at the same price point as the ETA movement watches, $950.

Color me skeptical; but, with so many companies' duplicitous claims about watch and watch part origins, I really do hope this one is true.

Like many in the comments section underneath noted, that movement looks like it was pounded together by Pebbles and Bam Bam.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » June 22nd 2016, 8:36am

Nostalgia is oftentimes linked with rose-colored glasses.

When American watch companies were cranking out product there was some really nice stuff but mostly it was mass produced pin-lever zero-jewel stuff the likes of which Philippe Dufour would gnaw his arm off at the elbow rather than wear.

The pictured hand-wound movement seems to strike a compromise between a full complement of 17 jewels and a wire-brush finish taking maybe 15 minutes with a beer-fueled Dremel.

If one is looking to produce a domestic movement the high finish would seem an appropriate corner to cut. American in a Willys Jeep sort of way.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » June 22nd 2016, 8:45am

TemerityB wrote:
biglove wrote:Will be interesting to see the price this one is available at. Was claimed originally that her would sell the new movement watches at the same price point as the ETA movement watches, $950.

Like many in the comments section underneath noted, that movement looks like it was pounded together by Pebbles and Bam Bam.

An ETA 6497-1 is $186 bucks at Frei....reinventing the wheel all over again.
“History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people..M.L.K."
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Return to North American Roots