gonna be worth more now since they were
forced to change them?
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Re: Someone's in deep Shinola

Postby TemerityB » June 17th 2016, 7:37am

Shinola does the same thing Invicta does, only they wrap it around a U.S. flag and the already beleaguered residents of Detroit. The products are good, but its definitely a shell game.

Kartsotis is a carnie; we've been all over it already. But it's good to see at least somebody is paying attention to something in the bowels of the watch industry, for once. Maybe Shinola should hire Lawler's attorney.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » June 17th 2016, 10:11am

I try to buy products made here when possible. Walmart used to have a way to search only Made in USA products but it was bogus so they had to stop. Shame to see a promising brand in this space going through this.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby jaw » June 17th 2016, 10:26am

No Shinola! Ouch.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby JAS1125 » June 17th 2016, 10:51am

JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » June 17th 2016, 11:04am

This irritates me a little. I don't have a Shinola, but I respect them for what they have been doing. They created jobs in Detroit, who does that? I mean, most other companies ran and never looked back. They seem to have been open in explaining their labeling and what they were trying to accomplish.
I don't get why Invicta is allowed to continually lie, deceive and get away with it. This makes no sense to me.
Maybe I am looking at it as the lesser of two evils, but I don't get it.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby eddiea » June 17th 2016, 11:16am

jaw wrote:No Shinola! Ouch.

Yep, same Shinola, different day ;)
Like their old styled bycicles...... are they make women bags too ?
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » June 17th 2016, 11:51am

An Open Letter From Shinola Founder Tom Kartsotis In Response To The FTC's Most Recent Action

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/an-ope ... ent-action

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby 3Flushes » June 17th 2016, 11:59am

Stinking lousy sniveling fucking cock-suckers. For the FTC to imply that the regulations regarding native materials from other countries is what prevents them from taking action on falsely marked Swiss etc. goods while sticking it up the ass of an American company is repugnant.

Apparently as we have believed here at WL for many years, the FTC has indeed been aware of the false marking of Swiss etc watches and done not one single thing about it; as if, a watch marked Swiss Made, in a shipping container from China, with a movement marked from somewhere in Asia is somehow ambiguous under the Federation guidelines.

For the FTC to go after an American company providing jobs as Svag notes, and reviving an industry in the US once dominated by the US that is trying to compete on a level playing field, all the while allowing the rest of the industry to perpetrate this egregious, industry wide fraud on the American people is beyond hypocrisy, it is beyond repugnant, in fact, I can't even think of a fuckin' word for it.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 17th 2016, 12:48pm

3Flushes wrote:Stinking lousy sniveling fucking cock-suckers. For the FTC to imply that the regulations regarding native materials from other countries is what prevents them from taking action on falsely marked Swiss etc. goods while sticking it up the ass of an American company is repugnant.

Apparently as we have believed here at WL for many years, the FTC has indeed been aware of the false marking of Swiss etc watches and done not one single thing about it; as if, a watch marked Swiss Made, in a shipping container from China, with a movement marked from somewhere in Asia is somehow ambiguous under the Federation guidelines.

For the FTC to go after an American company providing jobs as Svag notes, and reviving an industry in the US once dominated by the US that is trying to compete on a level playing field, all the while allowing the rest of the industry to perpetrate this egregious, industry wide fraud on the American people is beyond hypocrisy, it is beyond repugnant, in fact, I can't even think of a fuckin' word for it.

I couldn't agree less. I'm shocked anyone is taking Kartsotis' side.

Know what? I'm starting to think everybody involved in the watch hobby is utterly and completely full of shit. Everyone was quick to throw daggers at Tag Heuer during the 1887 movement "controversy," over one facet of the movement not being tinkered on and issued by magical little Swiss elves. "Not all Swiss!" they screamed as one. "Not in-house!" The villagers came running up the hill with their pitchforks.

And, of course, the scumbag brands like IWG and Swiss Legend and their houses of lies and deceptions, all got called out. Actually, the FH made SL actually case their watches in Switzerland or they weren't going to be allowed to be called "Swiss Legend" anymore. At least it was a step in the direction that was needed. But, hell yeah, everyone's been calling out those TV brands for years. They weren't what they said they are.

Watch blogs far and wide see members getting their panties in a bunch over Chinese casebacks on Swiss watches; bands and bracelets made where the watches weren't; you name it.

So now a sleazy opportunist like Kartosis (Cripes, even his BS rebuttal statement features an out-and-out lie that needed an editor's explanation to what the truth actually was) creates a brand with a blatantly false history, hires a few people to semi-case and put batteries in watches that have virtually no US-made components whatsover, and for that people want to proclaim him as the new Henry Ford?

They weren't what they said they are. Cripes, I think I'll go take some steroids, as long they're made in the good ol' US of A, of course.

I have nothing against Shinola watches, quartz movement,s and "putting people to work." I have everything against, as George Carlin so well stated it, "the packaging, distribution, and sale of total, abject bullshit."

As for working at Shinola? Some are making it sound like McDonald's with an Exacto knife:

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Shinola/reviews

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Shino ... 762_P2.htm
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby 3Flushes » June 17th 2016, 2:17pm

TemerityB wrote:
3Flushes wrote:Stinking lousy sniveling fucking cock-suckers. For the FTC to imply that the regulations regarding native materials from other countries is what prevents them from taking action on falsely marked Swiss etc. goods while sticking it up the ass of an American company is repugnant.

Know what? I'm starting to think everybody involved in the watch hobby is utterly and completely full of shit. Everyone was quick to throw daggers at Tag Heuer during the 1887 movement "controversy," over one facet of the movement not being tinkered on and issued by magical little Swiss elves. "Not all Swiss!" they screamed as one. "Not in-house!" The villagers came running up the hill with their pitchforks.

And, of course, the scumbag brands like IWG and Swiss Legend and their houses of lies and deceptions, all got called out. Actually, the FH made SL actually case their watches in Switzerland or they weren't going to be allowed to be called "Swiss Legend" anymore. At least it was a step in the direction that was needed. But, hell yeah, everyone's been calling out those TV brands for years. They weren't what they said they are.

Watch blogs far and wide see members getting their panties in a bunch over Chinese casebacks on Swiss watches; bands and bracelets made where the watches weren't; you name it.

So now a sleazy opportunist like Kartosis (Cripes, even his BS rebuttal statement features an out-and-out lie that needed an editor's explanation to what the truth actually was) creates a brand with a blatantly false history, hires a few people to semi-case and put batteries in watches that have virtually no US-made components whatsover, and for that people want to proclaim him as the new Henry Ford?

They weren't what they said they are. Cripes, I think I'll go take some steroids, as long they're made in the good ol' US of A, of course.

I have nothing against Shinola watches, quartz movement,s and "putting people to work." I have everything against, as George Carlin so well stated it, "the packaging, distribution, and sale of total, abject bullshit."

As for working at Shinola? Some are making it sound like McDonald's with an Exacto knife:

You fail to comprehend what I said- I never said Shinola was right. I said for the FTC to enforce the law against an American company while ignoring 99.9% of the problem, and then blaming the regulations in the countries being counterfeited for FTC's turning a blind eye on top of it all is bullshit. And it is.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 17th 2016, 3:01pm

3Flushes wrote:
TemerityB wrote:

You fail to comprehend what I said- I never said Shinola was right. I said for the FTC to enforce the law against an American company while ignoring 99.9% of the problem, and then blaming the regulations in the countries being counterfeited for FTC's turning a blind eye on top of it all is bullshit. And it is.

No question about it, you're right on the money. But not only is the FTC to blame for the mess the watch industry is in, it's also the FH, retailers, buyers, the media especially, you name 'em. People on this forum and serious watch people know exactly what's going on out there, but ask any five people in a watch store - including the salespeople - about what's the definition of "Swiss Made," "in house," or even "automatic movement," and you'll get five different answers. Then the FH wonders why sales are down 20 percent or whatever it is.

Back to Shinola: Despite its owner's transparent bluster, I really don't think the watches are bad at all. I see them in some of the better department stores and I'm impressed, sorta kinda (also have seen Shinola's sister brand, Filson). Then I hear the saleslady at Nordstrom tell me "These are made in the USA!" like we need to start erecting a parade float, and that's where I draw the line. And I loved what it said on the back of the watch I looked at: "USA Movement With Swiss Parts." Folks, that's Invicta speak.

Another point from today's news: The FTC opted not to take "enforcement action" (fines, etc) against Shinola in light of the fact that Shinola, immediately, is gonna curb the bullshit. So Shinola continues on - they just can't call 'em what they ain't.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » June 17th 2016, 9:56pm

Shinola is the same as Doxa, Jenny, and Aquadive. Entrepreneurial manufacturers using 'stolen glory' to shill their products. That they may or may not be well made is not even close to being the point.

Tag & Bremont got pinged for misrepresenting their movement's pedigree, and rightly so. Shinola & Synchron are misrepresenting their entire history.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby AJC » June 19th 2016, 6:31am

I only like Shinola because with 200 people assembling watches, they account for 90% of Detroit's work force.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby eddiea » June 19th 2016, 8:20am

AJC wrote:I only like Shinola because with 200 people assembling watches, they account for 90% of Detroit's work force.

Out those 200 , 120 are dedicated to the bicycles production and the remaining 80 , multitask between assembling watches and handbags.....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 19th 2016, 2:43pm

eddiea wrote:
AJC wrote:I only like Shinola because with 200 people assembling watches, they account for 90% of Detroit's work force.

Out those 200 , 120 are dedicated to the bicycles production and the remaining 80 , multitask between assembling watches and handbags.....

Yep. Read that, too. Have to wonder how much "assembly" is more complicated than battery insertions, cuz I don't trust a thing that carnie owner claims.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » June 19th 2016, 5:58pm

Eye thunk mine Rolexes arr maid in swirl and by Hanz. Tayk that!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby smellody » June 19th 2016, 5:58pm

Not swirl. Switzerland ! Gawd dam it byHand

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby smellody » June 19th 2016, 6:02pm

Not hand. Hans
!!!!!!!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Falstaff » June 20th 2016, 9:59am

smellody wrote:Not hand. Hans!!!!!!!

Hans who?
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » June 20th 2016, 10:46am

Falstaff wrote:
smellody wrote:Not hand. Hans!!!!!!!

Hans who?

Hans Jobbe, the inventor of the self-winding watch.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to North American Roots