“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Real History Of America's Most Authentic Fake Brand

Postby TemerityB » April 6th 2016, 11:38am

I agree. While I can't have an informed opinion on Shinola watches - I don't own one and have only held one- Kartsotis' words read exactly like every crackpot I've ever worked for. And I find the fact that I'm finding scads of Shinola watches on the gray market and suddenly popping up in warehouse and remainder stores for less than a third of their original selling prices more than a bit telling.

I'm shocked at Inc. They used to be all rah-rah anybody as long as sales figures were strong, so even the slightest bit of journalism out of that bunch is surprising. Great headline, too. The skeptic in me is starting to take over on Shinola.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » April 6th 2016, 12:27pm

I like both of my Shinolas.

Someone at Inc. doesn't like Kartsotis.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Joe94128 » April 14th 2016, 9:13pm

nice to read
Joe94128

Postby bedlam » April 15th 2016, 2:32am

foghorn wrote:I like both of my Shinolas.

Someone at Inc. doesn't like Kartsotis.

The article seemed pretty even-handed to me. Certainly, Kartsotis comes off as a guy with a knack for marketing who is trying to do the right thing.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » April 15th 2016, 6:55am

I didn't see much to complain about in the article either. I suppose I would have preferred "fake history" to "fake brand" but that's something of a nit.

Purchasing what the venture capitalists refer to as "good will" by buying a brand that everybody remembers but has been dead long enough that there's absolutely nothing physical to connect it to the original brand is pretty common. And not just with watches.

Some do a better job than others taking an old name and resurrecting it from whole cloth.

It's hard to find a watch blog writer that won't decorate his cupcakes over A. Lange & Sohn even though it's hardly any older than Invicta and never once made a wristwatch in it's original incarnation. But Richemont found some shirt-tail relative to put in a basement office, made a hell of a product and didn't lie about what they were doing. Hence a pretty good reputation 26 years after it started.

Ball watch used to be pretty upfront about being a zombie but has no compunction in issuing a 125th anniversary watch to commemorate being about 20 years old.
It seems to have a solid reputation as a mid range Swiss brand well below the panache of Lange but well ahead of Invicta or Ingersoll. Then there's Dirk Pitt.

Polaris zombied Indian Motorcycle - jury is out on that one I think.

Shinola ain't no A. Lange but s'not no invicter either. There's at least a few people in Detroit pounding hands onto pinions.

It's been a while since I've been in south Chicago but unless it's changed a lot it's going to take some serious huevos to set up there.

If it takes padding the pockets of some venture capitalist to put jobs in Detroit and south Chicago then so be it. The government hasn't managed to do anything other than fuck things up so let the evil billionaire take a swat at it.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » April 15th 2016, 9:31am

Detroit needs help , no doubt, my take Shinola watches on the other hand is...
Not a bad looking quartz yet, overpriced for what they offer and still dislike the damn name period, the "Helping Detroit" marketing pity trip bull shit, doesn't work with me too well either...
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » August 14th 2017, 3:28pm

:pk;,:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster