Shinola Watches Are for Hipsters Nonsense

Watch brands with roots in North America

Shinola Watches Are for Hipsters Nonsense

Postby koimaster » January 22nd 2016, 2:41pm

Although I recall when hepcat was a thing last century, Word Nerd Guild membership now qualifies me to referee 2016 slinging of hipster to describe, well, anything -- and one hot-button Detroit brand in particular.

So with a Casio G-Shock on my wrist and a metaphoric whistle in hand, I call a time-out on using hipster as shorthand for Shinola customers.

A visiting White House correspondent prompts the whistle for this tweet Wednesday:

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/141 ... qKho_32ZD9

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Shinola Watches Are for Hipsters Nonsense

Postby foghorn » January 22nd 2016, 2:47pm

Fuck! I think I'm a hipster.
I have 2 Shinolas, drink PBR's and wear LL Bean boots.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » January 22nd 2016, 3:01pm

foghorn wrote:Fuck! I think I'm a hipster.

If you pay $1 for a can of PBR at and grab it out of an iced-filled bushel basket on the bar, you are definitely a hipster.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » January 22nd 2016, 3:51pm

TemerityB wrote:

If you pay $1 for a can of PBR at and grab it out of an iced-filled bushel basket on the bar, you are definitely a hipster.

Hell no! I pay about 12 bucks for an 18 pack and grab it from the fridge.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Mark1 » January 22nd 2016, 5:08pm

TemerityB wrote:

Don't forget the pork pie hat and a goatee.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » March 2nd 2016, 2:09pm

I don't know how many people here outside of the east coast know what Nordstrom department stores or their off-price off-shoot, Nordstrom Rack even are, but this past weekend I was at the Nordstrom Rack store in Westbury, NY and saw the first discounted Shinola watches I've ever seen. Most were about 50 percent off retail (the typical $595 retail-tagged ones were selling for just a shade over $300). Good values if you live near one of those stores; might be worth your while if you're a fan to step in.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » March 2nd 2016, 2:21pm

Nordstrom started in Seattle, I know it's on both coasts, middle America I know nothing about in between.
TemerityB wrote:I don't know how many people here outside of the east coast know what Nordstrom department stores or their off-price off-shoot, Nordstrom Rack even are, but this past weekend I was at the Nordstrom Rack store in Westbury, NY and saw the first discounted Shinola watches I've ever seen. Most were about 50 percent off retail (the typical $595 retail-tagged ones were selling for just a shade over $300). Good values if you live near one of those stores; might be worth your while if you're a fan to step in.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » March 2nd 2016, 3:24pm

tiktok wrote:Nordstrom started in Seattle, I know it's on both coasts, middle America I know nothing about in between.
TemerityB wrote:I don't know how many people here outside of the east coast know what Nordstrom department stores or their off-price off-shoot, Nordstrom Rack even are, but this past weekend I was at the Nordstrom Rack store in Westbury, NY and saw the first discounted Shinola watches I've ever seen. Most were about 50 percent off retail (the typical $595 retail-tagged ones were selling for just a shade over $300). Good values if you live near one of those stores; might be worth your while if you're a fan to step in.

The one in Hawaii and the one in Kansas City also have them, the prices are always around 320.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby jayfuckingtaras » May 31st 2016, 5:19pm

You'll see them downwards of 75% Off the respective retail prices. I guarantee this will be the only season Nordstrom sells them as well.
jayfuckingtaras

Postby bedlam » May 31st 2016, 10:25pm

Shinola are a marketing exercise trading on the back of Detroit's troubles.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Watchlord WIS

Postby jayfuckingtaras » June 1st 2016, 6:43am

bedlam wrote:Shinola are a marketing exercise trading on the back of Detroit's troubles.

Yes Yes. Indeed.
jayfuckingtaras

Postby TemerityB » June 17th 2016, 1:34pm

jayfuckingtaras wrote:
bedlam wrote:Shinola are a marketing exercise trading on the back of Detroit's troubles.

Yes Yes. Indeed.

No question.

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to North American Roots