Talking Watches With René Beyer

Talking Watches With René Beyer

Postby koimaster » June 20th 2018, 8:35am

There are certain moments in your life as a watch collector that you just don't forget. The first time you strap on a vintage Rolex. The first time you hear a truly exceptional minute repeater. They're milestones that also set the tone for everything that comes after. I can say, without reservation, that the afternoon I got to spend with René Beyer in the Uhrenmuseum Beyer is one of those moments for me.

René represents the eighth generation of his family's involvement in the watch and jewelry industry, which started with the founding of their store in Switzerland way back in 1760. In case you need a little perspective, this means that Beyer family members have been selling watches since before the French Revolution and the founding of the United States. But beyond his comprehensive knowledge of the history of watches and clocks, his skills as a watchmaker (yeah, he doesn't just sell the things), and his family's incredible collection, some of which is on display in the public museum that sits underneath Beyer Chronometrie on Zürich's Bahnhofstrasse, René is someone with a ton of passion and generosity. I honestly think he'd have spent another few hours walking us around the museum, regaling us with tales of restoring decrepit marine chronometers, and pursuing elusive watches.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/tallk ... 1cc48dd36b

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to General Watch talk