Pay to play - Organic traffic

Pay to play - Organic traffic

Postby koimaster » April 30th 2018, 8:50am

I recently read this at Tempus Fugit and agree 100%. I also receive SEO and traffic increase emails every day and I mean every day. I toss them into the scrap pile where garbage goes. Lots of promises made but many require you to put ads or click bait on your site. They often also have access to your admin rights as well. It will never happen here.

Fair and Honest...

Not exactly!

Okay pals and gals, we have already gone into the entire click-farm phenomenon, but the pay to play model goes much further and operates on a far more entrenched level of chicanery and skullduggery.

Rapidly approaching the half-century mark, I have come to realize (and reluctantly accept) that I am now firmly in the category of people that occasionally need to be introduced to new ideas. One such idea was to try submit Tempus Fugit to what appeared to be a ranking service that (on the service) stated that they were an unbiased source where "normal" people could come to subscribe to various watch blogs and outlets. I will not name them here, because the point of this post is not to shame anyone or to hurt someone's business. But interesting to relate, a business is exactly what it turns out to be ; )

Upon submitting the details for Tempus Fugit, I was then first asked, then required to subscribe to another watch blog's feed. Odd as that seemed (why would I subscribe to a competitor's feed?), I went ahead and did so, being informed by the site ranking administrator that Tempus Fugit would be reviewed and added.

Well, not exactly...

What followed was a full-court press from a sales agent from the site ranker informing me that:
Tempus Fugit is really interesting and the content is great! Subscribe to our service (i.e. PAY US) and we will place you in the top 100 rank! To which I replied,

"how will people visiting your page know what a legitimate rank really is when, in fact, the only requirement for being listed is to pay you?"

Silence, then another pitch.

And then another pitch.

And then another pitch.

And then another pitch.

And then another pitch.

I finally responded that I was not interested.

I might add that I saw several big name watch blogs listed, and several that I had never heard of, and when I visited realized that they had not been updated for months, and in some instances, years.
So it seems that their check cleared long ago...

It is getting to a point where there is next to no legitimate way other than people physically showing their actual tracking numbers to REALLY know what the legitimate traffic numbers are, as opposed to the click farmed, paid follower, paid booster traffic that PR and marketing offices keep writing big checks for. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get nice big checks too. But then again, I don't want to pay a dubious organization to hoodwink not only the marketing offices of watch brands, but also bamboozle the people interested in reading about watches. There is plenty of deception in the watch business without my adding to it.

Here at Tempus Fugit, we're going to keep our traffic organic.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Pay to play - Organic traffic

Postby Hawk » April 30th 2018, 9:07am

koimaster wrote:I recently read this at Tempus Fugit and agree 100%. I also receive SEO and traffic increase emails every day and I mean every day. I toss them into the scrap pile where garbage goes. Lots of promises made but many require you to put ads or click bait on your site. They often also have access to your admin rights as well. It will never happen here.

Good to hear.

I suspect such services are ubiquitous these days.

My business did not have a retail outlet though some few of our competitors did. If an individual managed to track us down we kept a list of local small shops that could service their needs but such instances were relatively rare.

A sales rep stumbled in once doing cold calls proclaiming she could increase our web traffic dramatically. My assistant asked if we could pay to have it lowered. Eventually I was called to 'splain things to the persistent sales person whereupon I challenged her to find one cash register, a terminal for credit cards or anything resembling a product display. Walk-ins were a nuisance factor and she was rapidly becoming one. We knew where our customers were and they knew where we were.

Come to think of it, it was a perfect position for a socially challenged introvert - I kind of miss it.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » April 30th 2018, 9:12am

Hawk wrote:
koimaster wrote:I recently read this at Tempus Fugit and agree 100%. I also receive SEO and traffic increase emails every day and I mean every day. I toss them into the scrap pile where garbage goes. Lots of promises made but many require you to put ads or click bait on your site. They often also have access to your admin rights as well. It will never happen here.

Good to hear.

I suspect such services are ubiquitous these days.

My business did not have a retail outlet though some few of our competitors did. If an individual managed to track us down we kept a list of local small shops that could service their needs but such instances were relatively rare.

A sales rep stumbled in once doing cold calls proclaiming she could increase our web traffic dramatically. My assistant asked if we could pay to have it lowered. Eventually I was called to 'splain things to the persistent sales person whereupon I challenged her to find one cash register, a terminal for credit cards or anything resembling a product display. Walk-ins were a nuisance factor and she was rapidly becoming one. We knew where our customers were and they knew where we were.

Come to think of it, it was a perfect position for a socially challenged introvert - I kind of miss it.

Hard to believe a buzzard misses cleaning the meat off the bones of customers. Ads from this morning -

I am Erik, (Business Development Manager)

We Offer Website Development on CMS Platform Like Wordpress/ Joomla/Drupal /Magento with One time Development cost and No Recurring cost involved in it

ü Corporate Website/Portal

ü Website Re-Designing

ü Online store for your products (E-commerce websites)

ü Informational websites

ü Online Business Brochure websites (1-2 page websites for marketing)

ü Social Network/Community building websites

ü Personal/Business Blogs

ü Mobile device friendly website

ü Mobile apps (IOS, Android & Hybrid)

Please let us know in case you are interested.

I would be happy to share our Work Portfolio, Client testimonials and Service Packages

You can give me your (Skype Id or Phone Number) to discuss more.

Kind Regards,

Erik Weaver | Business Development Manager

WEBSITE DESIGN and DEVELOPMENT |MOBILE APPS |WEB HOSTING |BRAND MANAGEMENT

Get Instant Traffic to Your Website

Get the website traffic you need today quickly and affordably.
Our traffic network generates over 15 million unique visitors and over 50 million page impressions daily!

GET STARTED NOW!

Add MoreTraffic

High Exposure

Give your site the exposure it needs with high quality, targeted traffic. Our network of over 10,000 web properties can deliver millions of hits to your site.

Add MoreTraffic

Targeted Traffic

We can provide your site with extremely targeted traffic. We have options to target many different GEO locations.

Add MoreTraffic

Increase Sales

So are you ready to start making more money from your website? Start today and buy your traffic package from AddMoreTraffic.

Article advertisement on -watchlords.com_101

From Jason UnderwoodAdd contact
To admin@watchlords.comAdd contact
Date Today 00:58

Hello, we are interested advertising on - watchlords.com - in a form of hosted article, our article will be written according your site theme and will include a link to a Gambling site . What is the rate for this?
In case that you have more sites to offer please send those as well with a prices

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Hawk » April 30th 2018, 8:50pm

koimaster wrote:Hard to believe a buzzard misses cleaning the meat off the bones of customers. Ads from this morning -

Yup. But that's why we have no feathers on our heads or neck - keeps the maggots from getting a foothold so to speak.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk