The Watchmakers' Time Bomb

The Watchmakers' Time Bomb

Postby koimaster » April 6th 2018, 9:44am

a vintage car and you know there will be running costs. Buy a work of art or a bottle of fine wine and you need to think about storing it in highly controlled conditions. But buy a watch and you charge the credit card and that’s it, isn’t it?

Some watchmakers make a point in their sales campaigns of the responsibility of holding on to their watch for future generations, and it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of buying a highly technical, precision-crafted timepiece. What is often overlooked is the cost of maintenance.

When Chuang Peck Ming sent his Lange 1 timepiece by A. Lange & Söhne for servicing and repair, he paid 4,100 Singapore dollars, or $2,960, and it took several months.

“I went ahead with the servicing because there’s no one other than Lange which could do it and it took three months,” said Mr. Chuang, whose timepiece was five years old. “I didn’t mind it took so long because Patek Philippe took as long when I sent my Patek World Time for servicing, though that cost only about 1,000 dollars, and it gave me time to save up to pay.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/27/fash ... epair.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Watchmakers' Time Bomb

Postby conjurer » April 6th 2018, 9:52am

Dang. A rich Singaporean has to save up to cover the service costs of his A. Lange. My heart bleeds.
My horse, Dobby, was my big present

--Smellody

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: The Watchmakers' Time Bomb

Postby Thunder1 » April 6th 2018, 11:02am

Just got my GP 4900 back from a local spa..a 3 hander(ETA 2892) with one complication(PR)..pd. $350.00 for its' long overdue service..and I have a few dozen more to go..a big reason why I haven't been adding much to my collection lately...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk