My top 20 of Baselworld 2018

My top 20 of Baselworld 2018

Postby koimaster » April 2nd 2018, 10:48am

Blog is in French, just use google translate.

I had a lot of trouble making the list of my 20 favorite watches from the 2018 edition of Baselworld. The proof that it was rich and dense and anyway, I perceived it as having a higher interest compared to the previous edition. Be careful however: do not cry to the genius either. Brands have for the most part adopted a conservative and conservative attitude with designs quite frequently inspired by models of the past. The neo-retro is resistance but should we be surprised? In a market that has a strong presence of horological icons, the brands hope, by bringing up to date the models having marked their stories, seduce a clientele with paradoxical behavior. Indeed, the logic of purchase are generally different from the wishes expressed: customers claim to seek creativity and daring but very often return to the great classics when it comes to the blue card.

The other trend is for a number of important players tariff moderation. The realities of the markets are better taken into account but brands remain trapped in the price structures of the crazy years. They are then showing imagination to answer this challenge. They thus ensure to improve the watchmaking content at an equivalent rate rather than to reduce the prices.

http://equationdutemps.blogspot.fr/2018 ... -2018.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: My top 20 of Baselworld 2018

Postby svaglic » April 2nd 2018, 12:15pm

Decent looking list, I didn't care for the skeleton dial ones and really didn't like the Chanel. I don't understand how a watch that ugly gets put out, shouldn't there be levels of approval in a watch design before it gets made? It must have got signed off on at the office Christmas party when the alcohol was mostly gone.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » April 2nd 2018, 7:17pm

I like the Omegas, short hands and all. That Nomos looks like utter shit.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 2nd 2018, 9:15pm

Cripes - did Stephen Jay get a job at Bell & Ross or something?
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Pubbie » April 3rd 2018, 7:36am

Well B&R is French, not Swiss. And the French do like to buy their own. After all, nothing else explains the existence of Renault!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk