No, I won’t be at Baselworld this year. Here’s why.

No, I won’t be at Baselworld this year. Here’s why.

Postby koimaster » March 26th 2018, 6:06pm

I’m often asked if I attend Baselworld, the annual show that is considered the focal point of the wristwatch world. I think many people imagine Baselworld as a glamorous showplace where visitors compare Rolexs and exchange fine cigars as they stroll through beautiful displays while sipping premium cognac.

Yes, it’s just like that – if you buy watches by the thousand or have a checking account with a seven or eight figure balance.

I have attended Baselworld for the last four years, and it is indeed an unforgettable experience. The third largest city in Switzerland, Basel has a historic center that is more beautiful, grand, and interesting than any other city in the country.

The region near Basel is beautiful. I like to extend my stay for a few days because the countryside is the best in the world for biking. Climbing the Alps by bicycle is a challenge, but if you aren’t in the mood (or physical condition) for rigorous mountain pedaling, you can try the easy ride down the road about 20 kilometers to visit fantastic Roman ruins, which are definitely worth the trip.

Basel is usually very quiet but for Baselworld the hotels are crowded and very expensive - so expensive that many of the exhibitors and staff cross the border to France or Germany to sleep.

https://danhenrywatches.com/blogs/journ ... here-s-why

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: No, I won’t be at Baselworld this year. Here’s why.

Postby foghorn » March 26th 2018, 6:20pm

Great read. DH is OK. Looking forward to July.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby artman » March 26th 2018, 6:27pm

Dan Henry really wrote that? It's like listening to Hulk Hogan talk about the WWE and the wrestling industry off camera.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » March 26th 2018, 6:42pm

So much for my broke ass ever attending.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » March 26th 2018, 8:04pm

Small world, I won't be at Baselworld either this year.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby gerdson » March 26th 2018, 9:34pm

😀
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » March 26th 2018, 10:38pm

As usual, ALL of my aircraft that are capable of reaching Switzerland will be completely booked during that timeframe, so alas, eYe shan't be going, either...

As already mentioned, that is a very good read, and I can't help but agree with Mr. Henry 100 percent. Besides, WE'LL have Mongo & The Mouth over there again, this year, and THEY got us covered like stank own sheet, like whyte own ryce, like- well, you get it...unless their behavior got them banned this year...say it ain't soooo, Mongo! Say it ain't SOOOO, Tim (but please say it slowly and use fewer -- FAR fewer -- words, 'kay? 'kay.)!

I, too, am gonna look for'ard to July and the release of the gnu Dan Hanks's watches... :scratch: 'Kay-thks-bye! 8-)
Okay, so I was wrong... http://thewatchforum.net/forum/index.php ...but I was never so glad to be incorrect... ;)
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » March 27th 2018, 12:57am

I'd love to visit Switzerland someday, but not necessarily during this circus. Sounds like a lot of noise.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » March 27th 2018, 3:39am

Waiting for the first reported murder of one rich man trying to get his hands on a luxury dollar watch before another rich man. The frenzy over some products this year is pretty overwhelming.

The sucking of AD cock to be the first one to “get the call” almost makes me wish for the mother of all corrections. I say almost, because that correction will only flow funds into the pockets of the rich men all stamping on each other’s hands to claw their way towards the Rolex and PP counters!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk