An Open Letter to the Swiss Watch Industry,

An Open Letter to the Swiss Watch Industry,

Postby koimaster » March 19th 2018, 6:03pm

The Wall Street Journal recently published an article “Is Time Running Out For The Swiss Watch Industry?“, which I read with great interest. The author spoke to LVMH watch division chief Jean-Claude Biver, one of the Swiss watch industry’s most successful and respected marketers, about his approach to the new crisis of millennials not buying Swiss watches, even as the generation moves into its prime income-earning decades. As both a millennial and watch collector, I wanted to share my thoughts on this issue and try to provide constructive feedback to the industry that I love so much.

http://watchesbysjx.com/2018/03/an-open ... nnial.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: An Open Letter to the Swiss Watch Industry,

Postby bedlam » March 19th 2018, 7:37pm

A good letter. The guy nails several issues I see in my daughter's approach to the consumer process.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby biglove » March 20th 2018, 12:00am

Good article and effective marketing ideas for more than just to millennials.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » March 20th 2018, 5:53am

I stopped at 10,000 dollar entry level.

Why, he's no fun, he fell right over.
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » March 20th 2018, 9:08am

Q: What do Millennials what?

A: Nobody gives a shit, particularly me. The good news is when they pick up the newest IPhone they shut the fuck up for at least three months. That's a good fucking start.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » March 20th 2018, 9:30am

conjurer wrote:Q: What do Millennials what?

A: Nobody gives a shit, particularly me. The good news is when they pick up the newest IPhone they shut the fuck up for at least three months. That's a good fucking start.

:lol:

The best point raised is that there are scores of people of every age, particularly in the U.S., who have no idea what an automatic watch is, and could care less because the TV box didn't tell them to run out and buy one. They also don't read The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal (let alone watch magazines, or magazines of any kind, for that matter) and see all those full-page color ads. As long as watch advertising stays stuck in 1971, well, the industry kinda deserves what it gets.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » March 20th 2018, 10:23am

For the vast majority of folks one or two watches would be plenty even if they thought kindly of mechanical watches.

However those buying Apple watches fall into two groups: one tosses the thing in a drawer never to be removed. The other group does what tech purchasers usually do - they don't so much buy something as they "subscribe" to it. As the smart phone or watch ages it will be replaced again and again thus skewing the numbers.

Phones and smart watches are disposable with limited life spans. Watches aren't. Or at least shouldn't be.

The reason I think comparing Apple watch sales to Rolex sales is bullshit:

c.1980s
Cell phone: Image
Rolex: Image

Many "smart watches" are useless without a phone. And I suppose if one was made around the time of that Motorola it would probably look like:

As soon as the Apple watch shrinks to the size of a Bluetooth earbud it will cease to be a watch and still won't impact watch sales.

If a milleneal strikes it rich he or she still gets a watch - specifically they get that gawdawful MBF wannabe WhoBlows that comes with the Ferrari they bought.

But, yeah. The Swiss aren't up to social media marketing for the most part. Hell, even Grand Seiko has a better presence on YouTube.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby boscoe » March 20th 2018, 3:23pm

Exactly, foghorn!
Fuck the millennials. Pampered pricks.
I don't care if they buy watches. I'm a hobbyist, not a watch manufacturing company.
I'll be long dead before the last Omega rolls off the line.
boscoe
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk