Got a Solar Question Over Here!

Got a Solar Question Over Here!

Postby artman » March 6th 2018, 3:13pm

Is there such a thing as over charging a solar/eco-drive watch??
I bought these about the same time 3 years ago. They both get the same amount of sun and are worn a couple times a month. My problem is that even with semi regular use, they both lost charge about the same time, so I decided to place both watches next to a window to continuously keep them charged. Is this the right thing to do?? Should I just keep them in a box without any light to lengthen their life spans?? What do you guys do??
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Got a Solar Question Over Here!

Postby foghorn » March 6th 2018, 3:33pm

I've had a Citizen Skyhawk for a few years now and it has a PR scale. At times-usually in winter when there is less daylight-the charge level will go down even though it stays near a window. Because of this I occasionally place it directly in a sunny window for a few days to get jacked up on sun again. I only have to do this a few times a year. On the other hand I have a 20 year old citizen that hasn't skipped a beat and it just stays near a window in normal light.
I would keep them in the most direct sunlight possible for a couple days each month and the rest of the time in normal light and they should be OK. Maybe.

However it is possible to over charge. Unless there is a sale Macy's does all the time.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » March 6th 2018, 3:36pm

I've always had issues with Citizens with Eco-Drive; they don't seem to hold up well if they're not worn (or at least charged) frequently. I went so far as to send my Sailhawk in to Citizen for a new capacitor (or battery, whatever it's called) and it still does the same thing--if worn once or twice a month, and otherwise kept in a box, it loses its charge PDQ.

Interestingly, I never had an issue with solar Gees I've owned.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » March 6th 2018, 4:20pm

I gave up on Eco-Drives after struggling with several I bought my wife and a few for myself. I don’t care to be concerned with how much light and where they are positioned. Changing a battery is less hassle.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » March 6th 2018, 4:48pm

The only thing I can speak to is a Seiko Astron and it's been low maintenance. It got a couple days in the sun early on and spends most of its time sitting on a desk in the spare bedroom. Whatever ambient light that provides has been enough but there's some sun in there.

Left in the box long enough it will coerce you into wearing it for a bit - the GPS functionality signs off on less than a half charge. I've had it in the dungeon for at least a month at a time and probably two but I'm not sure. If it sits in the dark long enough it kicks into "power saver" and nothing moves until it sees light at which point it resets itself to the correct time.

One of these days I'll have to bury it deep and see how long it takes to get really annoyed and quits trying to keep time with the hands stopped.

It'll get more sun shortly - the daylight saving time ritual is upon us.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Mortuus » March 6th 2018, 5:58pm

I have a watch storage box with a glass top that I keep on a shelf next to a window. I also have a nighttime spotlight that's usually on for about four hours each evening, and it slams extra 'trons into the capacitor (which is quite a bit more advanced than a battery; capacitance is what computers use to store data) for use on those days when I choose to wear one of my solarizers...so THERE, dammit!
In Memoriam ~ BDWF ~ Riposa en Pace
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby catnap » March 6th 2018, 11:21pm

I’ve got 2 Gee atomic solars and whilst one will quite happily charge with any light it gets, sat on a shelf in the kitchen, the other, newer Gee NEEDS direct sunlight otherwise it dies on me. Only cure to get it up to full charge is is 3-4 days out in the garden sat on the roof of my shed
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » March 6th 2018, 11:57pm

Thanks for the feedback! You guys have been very helpful.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Steelhead » March 7th 2018, 2:03am

I keep my solar Gees on the windowsill. They're a bit fussy about the atomic signal (they have to be turned just so), but the battery level has never been a problem.
"And they will know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance on them"
-- Ezekiel 25:17
Steelhead
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DocKlock » March 7th 2018, 7:58am

I keep my solars on a west facing windowsill in my bedroom. When I wear one, I blow the dust off it, put it on, wear it till I'm tired of looking at it and then back it goes.
The only issue I have is the red hands of a couple of them have turned a kinda goldish color when the sun fades them.
Some of them are probably 10 years old or more. No problems.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MAX » March 7th 2018, 10:00am

Have had my Citizen dive watch since 2010 and I bought it used so I have no idea how old it really is. Keep it next to a window and it has never missed a beat.
I have noticed however that the hand that doubles as a charge indicator never goes to the maximum position anymore. Guess it needs a new capacitor, not a battery so they can still make the claim that it never needs a new battery. New cap is more expensive than a battery and sometimes you cant change them yourself. Ever try to get the back off of a Citizen? Some are impossible.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby catnap » March 7th 2018, 10:48am

MAX wrote:Have had my Citizen dive watch since 2010 and I bought it used so I have no idea how old it really is. Keep it next to a window and it has never missed a beat.
I have noticed however that the hand that doubles as a charge indicator never goes to the maximum position anymore. Guess it needs a new capacitor, not a battery so they can still make the claim that it never needs a new battery. New cap is more expensive than a battery and sometimes you cant change them yourself. Ever try to get the back off of a Citizen? Some are impossible.

This capacitor business is the only reason I’ve not pulled the trigger on a Reigh Meyears Tuph Solaaar
There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.
catnap
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 7th 2018, 1:04pm

I have five solar watches (couple of Citizens, couple of Seiko divers) that I keep a few feet under a light next to my bed, and they all keep perfect time so far - with the exception of a Seiko/Epson VS32 movement, which has never run correctly the entire time I've owned it; it keeps a charge but the timekeeping is barbaric.
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » March 7th 2018, 3:06pm

Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » March 7th 2018, 11:27pm

COOL! Nice find Wasp. I can sleep better knowing I'm not slowly killing my watches.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » March 8th 2018, 7:47am

artman wrote:

COOL! Nice find Wasp. I can sleep better knowing I'm not slowly killing my watches.

Agreed. And it's yet another reason why there's Eco-Drive, then there's everything else.
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » March 8th 2018, 12:18pm

As a side Seiko references the power storage device as not being a battery nor is it a capacitor. In the non technical descriptive they name it the "second power source".
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » March 8th 2018, 12:59pm

I have had my eco-drive five years, and it charges in no time just by holding it up to a 20 watt bulb. It is at least 15 years old too, and never had a problem.
Am I just lucky?
"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk