5 COSC Watches That Won’t Break the Bank

5 COSC Watches That Won’t Break the Bank

Postby koimaster » February 21st 2018, 9:08pm

The past two decades have seen a shift in why people wear watches. Thanks to the omnipresence of smartphones, laptops, and other digital devices, it’s no longer necessary to wear a watch to know the exact time. Some may claim that idea as sacrilege, but as a younger enthusiast, I know that the reason I fell in love with watches wasn’t that I was worried I would be late to dinner. While the reasoning we cherish our mechanical marvels of the wrist may have changed — be it a romantic fascination, an appreciation for design and engineering, or simply as a fashion statement — it’s always nice to have a timepiece that is more accurate than not.

The governing body for accuracy in the Swiss watchmaking industry is the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronométres (COSC). If you read WatchTime often, you’ve probably noticed it being namedropped fairly often when we discuss new releases. We recently went into detail about how the COSC operates and what is needed for a watch to receive the classification and we highly encourage you to check the process out. While it’s true that there will always be a correlation between price and the quality of movement, this list proves that you don’t have to take out a second mortgage to find an attractive Swiss mechanical watch that is COSC certified.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/affo ... pher-ward/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: 5 COSC Watches That Won’t Break the Bank

Postby TemerityB » February 21st 2018, 9:18pm

Been eyeballing those Powermatic 80 Tissots for awhile, and might pounce soon; they certainly won't break the bank.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » February 21st 2018, 10:19pm

I can see myself with that Tissot or that CW. Those look attainable.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » February 21st 2018, 10:36pm

Interestingly, the Longines gives me a boner.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby codguy » February 22nd 2018, 5:43am

What, no Seiko's?

that's like a joke man- conjurers entertainment LLC

I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy- The Who
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » February 22nd 2018, 6:01am

The Longines gives my lad a pulse, but the Tissot let's me break rocks with it.
Tissots are classy.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » February 22nd 2018, 6:14am

MehOSC

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Thunder1 » February 22nd 2018, 6:34am

The Brellum, Longines, and the Tissot all find favor with me...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MAX » February 22nd 2018, 7:29am

The article even has them in the right order. None are shabby though.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MAX
Founding Member

Postby Hawk » February 22nd 2018, 8:44am

codguy wrote:.

What, no Seiko's?

that's like a joke man- conjurers entertainment LLC

Understandable after the Swiss got all butt hurt when Seiko scared them in the observatory trials. The observatory trials have restarted but is now restricted to a European playground. Makes sense that Seiko would develop their own standard more stringent than COSC.

"The Grand Seiko Standard differs from the other recognised chronometer standards in two important respects. While most accuracy standard testing is done for five positions at two temperatures, the Grand Seiko Standard tests six positions at three temperatures. This is because the Grand Seiko Standard seeks to replicate real world conditions. The sixth position, namely the 12 o’clock upright position, is the way many people place their watch when not wearing it. In addition, the extra temperature rating is closer to body temperature. The idea is simple - to test the watch under conditions similar to actual use."

Regrettably Swiss accuracy standards have become rather reminiscent of royal inbreeding - an unfortunate tendency that risks hemophilia and feeble minds.

...also a bit of gentle ribbing.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » February 22nd 2018, 8:54am

Hawk wrote:
codguy wrote:.

"The Grand Seiko Standard differs from the other recognised chronometer standards in two important respects. While most accuracy standard testing is done for five positions at two temperatures, the Grand Seiko Standard tests six positions at three temperatures. This is because the Grand Seiko Standard seeks to replicate real world conditions. The sixth position, namely the 12 o’clock upright position, is the way many people place their watch when not wearing it. In addition, the extra temperature rating is closer to body temperature. The idea is simple - to test the watch under conditions similar to actual use."

The only problem with Seiko is that nobody seems to recognize the high quality standards they usually offer - probably because they don't shout "COSC!!!" at everyone and send out paper statements of water resistance as if they're the prize in the Cracker Jack box. Great points, Mr. H.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk