The Times, They Are A Changin’ At SIHH

The Times, They Are A Changin’ At SIHH

Postby koimaster » February 13th 2018, 1:23pm

The Times, They Are A Changin’ At SIHH And Why That Matters: Observations From A Third-Timer

by Łukasz Doskocz

Pilgrimage.

That’s the word that comes to my mind whenever I think about those two weeks in the first quarter of the year when we (we as in the lucky-to-be-invited watch nerds and watch media) travel to Switzerland to witness the new and the old of the watchmaking world come together for five days.

While our friends might think we are taking a nice holiday in the land of prosperity, money, chocolate and cheese, what we are actually doing is packing heavy suitcases full of fancy clothes and taking an expensive flight to Geneva to do what our job is all about: learning about a fresh crop of luxury watches.

The 2018 edition was just my third time attending the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH) but, despite a few very minor glitches, I do have to admittedly say I’ve grown fond of this fair.

Here is why that is so, and why it matters.

Among the two big watch fairs of the year – the other being Baselworld – the SIHH was always (well, for the nine years I’ve been in the business) the smaller, less impressive, and far humbler [in size and scope– ed] of the two.

It used to be pretty much Richemont’s annual showcase of what’s new, but with time the event has grown bigger and bigger like a well-watered plant: a total of 35 brands exhibited in 2018, making it the biggest Salon so far in terms of exhibitors. [For a more complete overview, see Celebrating 25 Years Of SIHH– ed.]

There were also more people attending, more accredited journalists, quite impressive public-day attendance, more great-quality food and wine served, and in general more of everything. More does not automatically mean better, but in the case of the SIHH it truly does.

https://quillandpad.com/2018/02/10/time ... ird-timer/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Times, They Are A Changin’ At SIHH

Postby TemerityB » February 13th 2018, 2:41pm

I really wanted to get to Baselworld this year, but life had other plans. Recently read it's gonna be half the size of previous years (and I think I read that here).
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk