NYT: Brands & The Secondhand Market

NYT: Brands & The Secondhand Market

Postby TemerityB » February 13th 2018, 12:49pm

One of the few recent watch biz articles I really enjoyed. From The New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/fash ... usser.html

Watch Brands Confront a Risky Business: The Secondhand Market

Watchmakers have long neglected the secondhand market, fearing both its strategic and logistical challenges. But now there is growing competition from a new, more trusted breed of online retailer.

About four years ago, Maximilian Büsser, founder of the boutique watch brand MB&F, bought his wife a 1970s Rolex Air-King for $2,500 on the website Chrono24. When it arrived, he was dismayed (though perhaps not shocked) to learn that he’d been conned.

“The crown was not original, the dial was not original, the case was not original and the glass was not even glass but a piece of Plexi glued to it,” Mr. Büsser recalled. “Buying a pre-owned or vintage timepiece is extremely risky business. Most brands have turned their backs on the market and left it in the hands of a lot of individuals who are not to be trusted. It’s time to reclaim it.”

Come summer, the brand will do just that, when its website begins selling pre-owned MB&F timepieces offered mostly by customers. Mr. Büsser emphasized that the models will be limited editions no longer available at retail “because I don’t want my retailers to think I’m competing with them.”

Return to General Watch talk