BRIEF HISTORY OF THE TOURBILLON

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE TOURBILLON

Postby koimaster » February 6th 2018, 9:34pm

Out of all the complications one could put in a watch, the tourbillon is the only constant reminder that one is wearing a timepiece of extraordinary detail and engineering. Granted, both chronographs and minute repeaters alike are also reminders that watchmaking is a tedious and time-consuming drive for innovation. However, these aren’t always running (and in some cases, shouldn’t always be left running anyway). Only the tourbillon is in constant motion to draw the eye, we love calendar watches too, but they don’t move very much.

What I’m going to attempt next is a brief history of this famed complication, one of my favourites. To note, I don’t plan on going very in-depth with the whole argument as to whether a tourbillon in a wristwatch contributes to the accuracy of the said watch. That is an article for another day.

https://wristreview.com/brief-history-tourbillon/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: BRIEF HISTORY OF THE TOURBILLON

Postby Pubbie » February 7th 2018, 1:46am

A shame the writers glossed over the first company to put a tourbillon in a wristwatch. Which given the name of the magazine would, y'know, be of interest probably. Unfortunately it wasn't Swiss or expensive German so doesn't make rich men feel good about their high-test shit, and wet their pants when they see their brand name in lights.

By the way, dear journo, it was Fred Lipmann, so go and do some fuckin homework next time. "At some point in history, the tourbillon made it into the wristwatch", lolz.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » February 7th 2018, 2:49am

Edouard Belin of the Besançon school of horology, using a LIP T18 ebauche.

http://frenchescapement.com

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » February 7th 2018, 12:44pm

That's the one! It looks like an art deco dog's dinner, but there was a more stylish variant made that is in keeping with that era's designs (although I don't know if it's original, and nor do any of the Internet's experts it seems...).
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » February 7th 2018, 1:19pm

Looks like a breeze block, doesn't it? :D
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk