An argument for quartz watches

An argument for quartz watches

Postby koimaster » January 1st 2018, 10:07pm

In this blog post I want to give my personal opinion as to why I think every watch collector should own quartz watches alongside their mechanical watches.

I am fairly new to watch collecting and based on all of my early research I began by purchasing only mechanical watches. While I have a fascination for the intricacies of mechanical movements, I still think there is a place for quartz watches in any collection. I know there are many watch collectors who will gasp in horror at the very thought of purchasing a quartz watch, but hear me out, and I might just change your mind.

https://malcolmsmusingsandstuff.wordpre ... z-watches/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: An argument for quartz watches

Postby bedlam » January 1st 2018, 10:54pm

The servicing cost is less than a mechanical because its quartz? There are many things that figure into service costs that are not about the movement. Certainly, I'll swap him the next service on my SBBN013 for any mechanical watch he likely owns.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » January 2nd 2018, 4:32am

I haven't thrown this up here for awhile.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 26&rid=130
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby codguy » January 2nd 2018, 5:58am

If the op is worried about intial cost and servicing of man jewelry, perhaps he should spend his money elsewhere.

Some people loves them some cheap watches, I don't fit that category.
I'd rather use my cell phone..... it also tells time, powered by a battery and has low maintenance costs.

Got to love those that feel the need to justify their use of quartz timepieces........

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Falstaff » January 2nd 2018, 8:18am

koimaster wrote:In this blog post I want to give my personal opinion as to why I think every watch collector should own quartz watches alongside their mechanical watches.

I am fairly new to watch collecting and based on all of my early research
I began by purchasing only mechanical watches. While I have a fascination for the intricacies of mechanical movements, I still think there is a place for quartz watches in any collection. I know there are many watch collectors who will gasp in horror at the very thought of purchasing a quartz watch, but hear me out, and I might just change your mind.

https://malcolmsmusingsandstuff.wordpre ... z-watches/

Newbie shares revolutionary insightzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
"There live not three good men unhung in England - and one of them is fat...."

Henry IV part 2
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Pubbie » January 2nd 2018, 8:55am

codguy wrote:Got to love those that feel the need to justify their use of quartz timepieces........

I don't see justification in that timezone thing, I see a gentle piss-ripping.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » January 2nd 2018, 10:13am

foghorn wrote:I haven't thrown this up here for awhile.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 26&rid=130

Good posting! Viz: It's OK to hate quartz if you wish to ignore the fact that the pursuit of improved accuracy has been a (arguably the) central thrust of horological development for centuries.

I remember my dad's watch back in the 1960s. It was a small field watch that he probably got while in the Army, with a small seconds at the 6, cathedral style hands with cooked off Radium on them, and a hand-cranker movement. Naturally, it was on a Twist-o-Flex bracelet. Every morning when he woke up, the first thing he'd do for the day was pick the watch up off his nightstand, wind it, and put it on. Every few days, he'd pick up the phone and call for the correct time.

I recall seeing a TV commercial for one of the big brands of the day, I think it might have been Longines, where they claimed their (mechanical) movements were accurate to fifteen seconds a day, or something. I mentioned the commercial to my dad, who said he'd be happy if his watch was accurate to fifteen minutes a day. Back then, if you wanted accurate timekeeping, you paid up for it, a lot of money in most cases, or you called for the correct time a few times a week and reset your watch.

America, back then, was On the Move. All those guys from the Greatest Generation had taken over business, and science, and industry, and they were going to make money like they had killed Germans and Japanese, by the bushel. They weren't fucking around, and there was no time to waste. If you showed up to a meeting on time, you were late. We were getting ready to put a man on the moon. Nobody could have given a shit if his watch--in some cases the only way of telling time--was made of wheels and gears and mainsprings, as long as it was accurate and got you to work or meetings or the moon on fucking time.

Then Seiko launched the Astron, and within a few short years quartz had taken over, and not too long after that you could get a quartz timepiece for free in a Happy Meal from McDonalds. From the price of a new car to free, quartz allowed everybody accurate time, it was one of those products that leveled the playing field for anybody. Accurate time was there for the average schmoe who couldn't afford a Longines or Rolex--in fact, quartz did what it did, tell time accurately, far better than any mechanical could, and ended up so cheap that if the watch failed, you threw it in the garbage and bought a new one.

Certainly, we can enjoy our mechanical watches, but quartz brought about a revolution in timekeeping, offering accuracy in orders of magnitude better than watches could before.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » January 2nd 2018, 12:13pm

I don't really go looking for a quartz watch, except my Bulova UHF. Recently I saw a couple of quartz watches that I liked, so I searched around for a while until I saw the prices I was willing to pay.

A couple of weeks ago I saw the Seiko SSASS Alpinist, these go for 250 to 450 when they come up for sale (there is one on eBay now, but the guy wants $4,000.00 for it, he is out of his god damn mind). If a good price on one comes up, I will probably get it.

I don't put much in to the marketing and limited edition of this watch, I just think it looks good.
I wish it was an automatic, then it would be perfect.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » January 2nd 2018, 8:32pm

There are some quality (and to me, enjoyable) quartz movements out there, in fact, a lot of them. My collection is split right down the freakin' middle and at this point, I don't count 'em to see which I have more of. I like what I fucking like.

If you look down at my wrist and see an occasional tick-tick-tick and think less of me as a collector, that's just fine with me, Pointdexter. There's more than one thing that makes a good watch a good watch - quality SS case, sapphire crystal, styling, dial work, or stones. Quality brands that I like such as Omega, Breitling, Grand Seiko, Sinn, Bulova, Citizen, and on down the line, continue to work on and produce some pretty innovative movements with quartz at the heart.

Hey, I'll still take automatics given a choice. But you can't eat steak every day; some days, a little variety, please. I'm in this hobby to have fun, and the day I start worrying others staring at a quartz watch I'm wearing is the day I take up a different hobby. I just love it when some fucker turns his nose up at a watch owner for wearing "only," say, a Breitling Colt quartz or quartz Seamaster or Aqua Terra, which are pretty nifty watches by any standard. Those jagoffs can drop to their knees and munch away.
"Nobody talks more of free enterprise and competition and of the best man winning than the man who inherited his father's store or farm." - C. Wright Mills, 1951
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » January 2nd 2018, 8:35pm

TemerityB wrote: Those jagoffs can drop to their knees and munch away.

You sound just like a Chicagoan!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » January 2nd 2018, 8:41pm

When I first started collecting wartches, most of them were quartz because I didn't really have the confidence to buy an auto or mechanical. Then, as time went by, I got my nerve up and bought that first auto wartch, an Invicter something-or-other that had a skelton skeleton dial and a mesh strap, and it looked pretty cool. Still more time went by, and all of those quartz wartches started running out of battery juice, and one battery even split open and destroyed the quartz movement it was supposed to be powering. (Of course, now that I've said that, there's gonna be some j'moke who says something like, "Aw, Mort, that's bullshite, and it's never happened to one of my wartches, ergo, it's never happened at all! FWAAA-HAAA-HAAAA-HAAAAAH!!!")

That's fine, but for those of us who live in a place where the sky is blue, it does happen, and it's a pisser, too. (Mine was a very nice Android quartz chronograph, and the movement was a Ronda something-or-other; I liked the wartch enough that I had the movement replaced, and it still runs nicely.) And then, after joining the WIT website, I came across a few posts and threads that informed me of other people having the same problem with Android watches, and the consensus seemed to be that Wing was using a batch of defective batteries. Wing's response? "So sorry. Please leave alone now, as have forehead polish and pedicure at two-furty." And then Android died an ignominious death at the hands of the phone maker of the same name, and poor Wing got a pittance ($800M, perhaps?) in return for losing a name he should've done a much better job copyrighting and aggressively defending.

But I digress...so sorry, O Oat Bran King, I shall try to be more brevitous in my comments, sire, toute de suite. And may I say that your bright green WIT shirt quite stunningly set off your generous pot belly at the Aragon get-together. In fact, I was immediately reminded of the first line of Steely Dan's seminal tune, Deacon Blues, from their amazing 'Aja' album: "This is the year of the expanding man..."

So, to get back on track, the 'exploding battery' thing does happen, mes amies, and it's one of several reasons I distrust quartz. I dislike quartz because of the expense involved with the batteries. It's a truism that when a group of women are at sea together during long deployments, their menstrual cycles align so that they all have their periods at the same time. (The USN hates to admit this, but if you push them hard enough, they'll eventually spill the menstrual beans.) I sometimes wonder if quartz watch batteries don't do the same, because it always seems that, at any given time, there's three or four that need new batteries, and there are additions to that pile every week. Hence, quartz watches become expensive and annoying...

Don't get me wrong, I DO have some nice quartz wartches that I love, like my beautiful Bulova's, Movado's and even a Gucci or two, and I'm very proud to have them in the old collezioni, but nowadays, I avoid quartz wartches pretty much the same way I did the women in Mombasa and Olongapo; it has to be a very special quartz-powered wartch to get me to purchase it...you know, something like a quartz wartch that Kate and Pippa Middleton (or even Rachel Feinstein and Amy Shumer) have rubbed all over their private parts; now that'd be a damned fine quartz wartch to own...

...and, finally, I think this post is tout finit...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » January 2nd 2018, 8:51pm

Mortuus wrote:When I first started collecting wartches, most of them were quartz because I didn't really have the confidence to buy an auto or mechanical. Then, as time went by, I got my nerve up and bought that first auto wartch, an Invicter something-or-other that had a skelton skeleton dial and a mesh strap, and it looked pretty cool. Still more time went by, and all of those quartz wartches started running out of battery juice, and one battery even split open and destroyed the quartz movement it was supposed to be powering. (Of course, now that I've said that, there's gonna be some j'moke who says something like, "Aw, Mort, that's bullshite, and it's never happened to one of my wartches, ergo, it's never happened at all! FWAAA-HAAA-HAAAA-HAAAAAH!!!")

That's fine, but for those of us who live in a place where the sky is blue, it does happen, and it's a pisser, too. (Mine was a very nice Android quartz chronograph, and the movement was a Ronda something-or-other; I liked the wartch enough that I had the movement replaced, and it still runs nicely.) And then, after joining the WIT website, I came across a few posts and threads that informed me of other people having the same problem with Android watches, and the consensus seemed to be that Wing was using a batch of defective batteries. Wing's response? "So sorry. Please leave alone now, as have forehead polish and pedicure at two-furty." And then Android died an ignominious death at the hands of the phone maker of the same name, and poor Wing got a pittance ($800M, perhaps?) in return for losing a name he should've done a much better job copyrighting and aggressively defending.

But I digress...so sorry, O Oat Bran King, I shall try to be more brevitous in my comments, sire, toute de suite. And may I say that your bright green WIT shirt quite stunningly set off your generous pot belly at the Aragon get-together. In fact, I was immediately reminded of the first line of Steely Dan's seminal tune, Deacon Blues, from their amazing 'Aja' album: "This is the year of the expanding man..."

So, to get back on track, the 'exploding battery' thing does happen, mes amies, and it's one of several reasons I distrust quartz. I dislike quartz because of the expense involved with the batteries. It's a truism that when a group of women are at sea together during long deployments, their menstrual cycles align so that they all have their periods at the same time. (The USN hates to admit this, but if you push them hard enough, they'll eventually spill the menstrual beans.) I sometimes wonder if quartz watch batteries don't do the same, because it always seems that, at any given time, there's three or four that need new batteries, and there are additions to that pile every week. Hence, quartz watches become expensive and annoying...

Don't get me wrong, I DO have some nice quartz wartches that I love, like my beautiful Bulova's, Movado's and even a Gucci or two, and I'm very proud to have them in the old collezioni, but nowadays, I avoid quartz wartches pretty much the same way I did the women in Mombasa and Olongapo; it has to be a very special quartz-powered wartch to get me to purchase it...you know, something like a quartz wartch that Kate and Pippa Middleton (or even Rachel Feinstein and Amy Shumer) have rubbed all over their private parts; now that'd be a damned fine quartz wartch to own...

Dang.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby smellody » January 2nd 2018, 9:07pm

Mortuus wrote:When I first started collecting wartches, most of them were quartz because I didn't really have the confidence to buy an auto or mechanical. Then, as time went by, I got my nerve up and bought that first auto wartch, an Invicter something-or-other that had a skelton skeleton dial and a mesh strap, and it looked pretty cool. Still more time went by, and all of those quartz wartches started running out of battery juice, and one battery even split open and destroyed the quartz movement it was supposed to be powering. (Of course, now that I've said that, there's gonna be some j'moke who says something like, "Aw, Mort, that's bullshite, and it's never happened to one of my wartches, ergo, it's never happened at all! FWAAA-HAAA-HAAAA-HAAAAAH!!!")

That makes complete sense!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » January 2nd 2018, 11:52pm

smellody wrote:

That makes complete sense!

Yup. As long winded as Mort can be--and he can be extremely long winded indeed, for one as dead as he is--he can also be remarkably succinct. In this post, not only does he tell us of his love of quartz watches, he also breaks pacerguy's balls, which is always a Good Thing. Breaking pacerguy's balls can take awhile, but Mort succeeds in doing it in record time.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » January 3rd 2018, 12:14am

Why, thank you, gentlemens...my face is red*, but my heart is happy, and all's well with da werld!! It's time to go and listen to Show Tunes and eat pepperoni pizza Hot Pockets until my little Daffy-dill and I pass out... :lol:

* :oops: - see? Ain't it "turr-bull?" as Charles Barkely would say...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » January 3rd 2018, 2:34am

TemerityB wrote:Hey, I'll still take automatics given a choice. But you can't eat steak every day; some days, a little variety, please. I'm in this hobby to have fun, and the day I start worrying others staring at a quartz watch I'm wearing is the day I take up a different hobby.

Good point. I don't go looking for quartz, just good design. In my soft suit in a meeting, a Nomos Tangomat is very comfortable. But If I need to depend on a watch not to break, then I'll pass on the automatic. Road trip across Africa? Bretiling Colt superquartz, please. Nomos? Nothanks!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » January 3rd 2018, 6:05am

Pubbie wrote: But If I need to depend on a watch not to break, then I'll pass on the automatic.

Automatic watches are fragile it appears.................

Perhaps I should quit wearing autos while shooting firearms, could get expensive.

FFS

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2018, 7:04am

Fact:Old,dead batteries can corrode and ruin a movement
Fact:Batteries require changing every 3-10 years and cost between 5 and 20 bucks a battery.
Fact: Automatic movements left idle for a long period or not serviced at semi-regular intervals can also be ruined or require extensive service.
Fact: Depending on the watch, service on an automatic can run anywhere between 100-800 dollars.

Fact:there are valid arguments for both quartz and automatic watch movements. To totally discount one or the other based on personal preference is entering the unreasonable zone.

I prefer automatics but ,when I think of it, I have no idea why. I often read about people that prefer auto/handwound gush over their love for the wonders of the mechanics involved and the laughable "soul" of a mechanical watch. Bullshit! You could sneak a Bulova UHF movement into one of their watches without an exhibition back and they'd be none the wiser. They would , however, marvel at the great power reserve. All this talk about the wonderful little machines that are seldom even visible. If they have soul then so does a handheld can-opener or my wifes pasta maker. They are just machines!

Others talk about how they just like hearing the "tickticktick" of a mechanical watch movement. This I understand if you are prone to occasionally jamming the watch in your ear,but otherwise it's unheard. And if you really like the tickticktick get a Timex weekender. No problem hearing those.

Still wondering why I lean towards mechanical watches and all I can come up with is that maybe it's because when I started wearing watches that's all there were for the first few years and it kind of just stuck in my brain. Not sure. I like 'em both. Solar too. I like 'em all as long as the date is a quick set.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2018, 7:04am

GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby codguy » January 3rd 2018, 7:24am

Simple for me, I have a total distain for stuttering second hands------> period.

A UHF watch would be "in my wheel house" but I understand they go through batteries faster than refried beans on Cinco De Mayo.

But now that I find out how fragile automatics are, perhaps I need to swap out my shit for some LCD timepieces.
I always wanted another one of these

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2018, 7:37am

codguy wrote:
A UHF watch would be "in my wheel house" but I understand they go through batteries faster than refried beans on Cinco De Mayo.

I bought my first one about 2 1/2 years ago and it's still floating along. Give one a shot.
I'll even lend you one for a trial run. Always willing to enable.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Pubbie » January 3rd 2018, 8:03am

codguy wrote:
Pubbie wrote: But If I need to depend on a watch not to break, then I'll pass on the automatic.

Automatic watches are fragile it appears.................

Perhaps I should quit wearing autos while shooting firearms, could get expensive.

FFS

I didn't say they were fragile! I've had one too many mechanicals pass out from magnetism, shocks (even just falling on the floor), dislodged hairsprings and toss accuracy in the past 30 years. No quartz has ever failed, but then I've learned to take dead batteries out of everything unused since I lost a TV remote to battery fluid.

The stuff about shooting is a red herring, too. You shoot, a shock goes up your arm, and the watch is buffered by all your skin, bone, muscle and fat.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 3rd 2018, 10:55am

foghorn wrote:
codguy wrote:

I bought my first one about 2 1/2 years ago and it's still floating along. Give one a shot.

Question, fog: I had a Precisionist, but I just recently grabbed that Sea King UHF since the price club basically begged me to take it off their hands, it was so cheap. Do the UHFs use the Necco Wafer-like CR-2016s that Precisionists do? I do find I change the battery in the Precisionist about every 18 months.
"Nobody talks more of free enterprise and competition and of the best man winning than the man who inherited his father's store or farm." - C. Wright Mills, 1951
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » January 3rd 2018, 11:13am

I'm pretty sure it's the same battery-CR2016. Listed battery life is "about" 2 years. The only one I've had longer than that is still going. I think the UHF movements are a bit different from the original precisionists.
Like a famous man once said. YMMV
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby codguy » January 3rd 2018, 11:24am

Pubbie wrote:
The stuff about shooting is a red herring, too. You shoot, a shock goes up your arm, and the watch is buffered by all your skin, bone, muscle and fat.

Oh, so you were simply talking about the chance you might drop a watch while on a road trip in Africa.................. ok, I get it now..... I guess.

codguy
ASSHAT

Next

Return to General Watch talk