rollercoaster pt. 2: well, shit

rollercoaster pt. 2: well, shit

Postby nimbleboy » December 19th 2017, 6:31pm

The down part of the coaster.

I recently purchased a significantly-more-expensive-then-my-usual watch for a special occasion. I gave it plenty of time to arrive for Xmas, as the holiday will enhance the enjoyment of said watch. Today I was expecting a call from the jeweler where I bought it. I've been waiting a little over a week; it's coming from Germany, and he said he thought it would be in yesterday.

Sure enough, George from JB Hudson called. The package arrived as planned. Somewhere between Glashütte and downtown Minneapolis it had been opened and resealed and the watch had been taken. George assumes it's someone at FedEx.

Scheisse.

Obviously, I'll get another sent over, but likely too late for Xmas. Also, it's engraved, so uh... enjoy that, whoever...
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Re: rollercoaster pt. 2: well, shit

Postby smellody » December 19th 2017, 6:38pm

Wow!! That totally sucks. A true rollercoaster. At least you have that nice Hamilton in hand.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby svaglic » December 19th 2017, 7:19pm

That sucks. This the season for thief's though. Hopefully there will be an investigation and they will be caught
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » December 19th 2017, 7:29pm

That blows. It was probably a goddamn kraut, though. You can't trust 'em farther than you can throw 'em, the Teutonic bastards. They're worse than the goddamn Italians.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » December 19th 2017, 7:47pm

Sucks now, but that will make an awesome New Year's present when it finally gets to you.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » December 19th 2017, 8:34pm

Holy crap! I have heard of that kind of stuff happening but have never been acquainted with anyone it happened to. I can think of a few people I know that deserve that crap. None of them are on WL.

Really hate that for you.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » December 19th 2017, 9:04pm

Wow. That's just freakin' awful.

Really lame, but I hope it all comes together in due time. Fingers crossed it all works out.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » December 19th 2017, 9:07pm

Can't believe someone could wear it and feel good about it. What a shame. There's always another I suppose.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » December 19th 2017, 11:03pm

That sucks. On the plus side, since it was delivered to the jeweler there isn't any way they can claim anything other than it was stolen. You probably won't get it by Christmas but you will get it. It's hard to wait but years down the road it will just be a good story.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member - WIS

Postby codguy » December 20th 2017, 5:50am

Racer-X wrote:Can't believe someone could wear it and feel good about it. What a shame. There's always another I suppose.

Nah, probably be sold or traded for a small bag of weed.

A lot of temps hired this time of year to deliver packages, we have that and packages stolen off porches..... tis the season.

I don't care about pollution, I'm an air-conditioned gypsy- The Who
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » December 20th 2017, 6:02am

Good to hear that a new one will be shipped post haste.
Bah Humbug > Cheers!
Last edited by Wasp on December 20th 2017, 10:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby DocKlock » December 20th 2017, 7:47am

I try and refrain from buying anything around Christmas that needs to be delivered by USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc just because of the reason Codguy stated about so many places hiring temps.

A neighbor of mine found a USPS package for me up the street in the middle of the road (thankfully not run over yet) that was dropped by a temp USPS. The neighbor brought it to me. I immediately called our local Post Office and filed a complaint. Just plain carelessness in my case, not thievery.
Hopefully FedEx will investigate it, but are probably swamped with claims this time of year.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » December 20th 2017, 9:37am

nimbleboy wrote:The down part of the coaster.

I recently purchased a significantly-more-expensive-then-my-usual watch for a special occasion. I gave it plenty of time to arrive for Xmas, as the holiday will enhance the enjoyment of said watch. Today I was expecting a call from the jeweler where I bought it. I've been waiting a little over a week; it's coming from Germany, and he said he thought it would be in yesterday.

Sure enough, George from JB Hudson called. The package arrived as planned. Somewhere between Glashütte and downtown Minneapolis it had been opened and resealed and the watch had been taken. George assumes it's someone at FedEx.

Scheisse.

Obviously, I'll get another sent over, but likely too late for Xmas. Also, it's engraved, so uh... enjoy that, whoever...

That is lower than a crippled cricket's ass..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » December 20th 2017, 12:38pm

That stinks on ice, man.

The engraving will keep the jerk-off who stole it from getting anything for it- even dope dealers won't take anything so readily identifiable anymore.

Parenthetically, a couple of years ago, I had a meth-addicted bi-polar patient get arrested for the possession of an Apple computer he stole in the course of a burglary. He held onto it for a few days following the break-in because none of his fences or dealers would take it off of his hands. The Apple system zeroed in on him resulting in his arrest and subsequent conviction resulting in his third strike.

Perhaps your thief will experience a similar karmic outcome whilst trying to hock the damn thing- pawn brokers are pretty good about spotting bullshit stories related to engraved or personalized items- they definitely do not want to be caught with hot merch by the police during periodic inspections of their dealings.

I hope the fucking bastard gets caught.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby nimbleboy » December 20th 2017, 2:16pm

Thanks, all. I'll write a fairly long post when I get the next one, and honestly, this just makes the story about it a bit more interesting for anyone who doesn't live in the Twin Cities or know me personally.
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » December 20th 2017, 5:10pm

I have all my packages delivered to a UPS Store. If a package is tampered with I open it in front of their staff so that I have witnesses. Gives me peace of mind that stuff does not sit on my front porch unattended all day long.

Well worth the $160/year box fee.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Ofcmark » December 20th 2017, 7:56pm

FedEx and UPS both have extensive internal security I'm sure they'll be an investigation. I can't remember which one of the companies but they would hire off-duty policemen at Christmas time to watch the employees
Ofcmark
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk