Real, fake and real fake watches

Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby koimaster » November 27th 2017, 12:25pm

Counterfeiters are increasingly turning their attention to collectible watches, whose prices have skyrocketed. Sometimes all it takes is one tiny detail, which is easy to fake, to treble the price of a watch.

The face of the second-hand watch market has changed somewhat over the last fifteen years. While in the 1990s there were relatively few resellers to share the spoils, the situation is rather different today. And it’s understandable, when one sees the price disparity in the great majority of watches made from 1990 up to the present. This market now has its own little community of collectors and bargain hunters who have come to play in the big boys’ playground. It is not uncommon these days to attend watch auctions whose record sales figures are on a par with those seen at sales of classical or contemporary artwork.


The origin of this turnaround may be found, first of all, in a resurgence of interest by the public. Some watches already considered expensive fifteen years ago have now crossed squarely over into the realms of the frankly unaffordable, or have joined the pantheon of collectors’ watches that are quite simply in a different league altogether. Rather than looking solely at the speculative side of this phenomenon, it is interesting to consider the revolution it has brought about.


Although some people, even today, consider the second-hand watch market to be entirely separate from that of new products, there are clear indicators that this is not the case. In order to flesh out this hypothesis, let us look at some collectible watches that have increased in value, and analyse the influence this has had on the new watch market.

THE RED AND CORNINO ROLEXES

Leafing through auction house catalogues, we can see that what was commonplace fifteen years ago has now become a sought-after commodity. Take a look at the Rolex Submariner and GMT-Master. In both these cases it is now almost impossible to find a bargain, because the prices are virtually set to the nearest penny. Added to this phenomenon is the ‘special model factor’, where particular models are given a special name, such as the ‘Red’ for the Submariner, or the ‘Cornino’ for the GMT-Master 1675. In fact, the Cornino is no more rare than the ‘ordinary’ 1675, despite fetching up to three times as much, for a model that originally sold by the thousands.


http://www.europastar.com/watch-knowled ... tches.html
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 32258
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby Mark1 » November 27th 2017, 12:41pm

Counterfeiters are getting fairly sophisticated nowadays. At our last get together, Kelly the watchmaker was saying how a lot of his work is authenticating watches for people. He's seen even seasoned collectors and sellers who have brought him fakes.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member
 
Posts: 7147
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby TemerityB » November 27th 2017, 4:06pm

Mark1 wrote:Counterfeiters are getting fairly sophisticated nowadays. At our last get together, Kelly the watchmaker was saying how a lot of his work is authenticating watches for people. He's seen even seasoned collectors and sellers who have brought him fakes.


That's freakin' scary. For Donny Doofus to buy his first Omega for $350 and find out he got a fake Seamaster, that's one thing. When guys are dropping tens of thousands for fakes, that's incredible.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 13156
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby tiktok » November 27th 2017, 4:12pm

Ms Tikker got an Hermes scarf as a gift. I took it to Hermes but they will not authenticate anything.
User avatar
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: March 20th 2015, 7:18pm

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby conjurer » November 27th 2017, 4:15pm

TemerityB wrote:
Mark1 wrote:Counterfeiters are getting fairly sophisticated nowadays. At our last get together, Kelly the watchmaker was saying how a lot of his work is authenticating watches for people. He's seen even seasoned collectors and sellers who have brought him fakes.


That's freakin' scary. For Donny Doofus to buy his first Omega for $350 and find out he got a fake Seamaster, that's one thing. When guys are dropping tens of thousands for fakes, that's incredible.


Indeed. One of the stories that Kelly relayed to us was about him checking out a Rolex that a customer brought to him for verification. He said it took him nearly half an hour to make a decision that it was fake, since the movement had been faked as well, and he noticed that one of the gear trains was anodized the wrong shade of red.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24642
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby smellody » November 27th 2017, 4:54pm

I bought a white Mont Blanc pen off ebay last month... it arrived FAKE... it was the right price for an unpopular model... but arrived Fake, Fake, Fake..... waiting on my refund. I do not understand how sellers have another week to refund the return on receipt of the package.

I'll stick to Costco for purchasing my writing instruments.
   
User avatar
smellody
Founding Member - WIS
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby bobbee » November 27th 2017, 5:05pm

You ought to see these that a guy sells in UK.



Image
Image




Made from different woods, hand turned. Really reasonable prices too. £22 for the smaller, £28 the large
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
User avatar
bobbee
Master of Time
 
Posts: 934
Joined: November 30th 2016, 1:01am

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby bedlam » November 27th 2017, 5:06pm

smellody wrote:I bought a white Mont Blanc pen off ebay last month... it arrived FAKE... it was the right price for an unpopular model... but arrived Fake, Fake, Fake..... waiting on my refund. I do not understand how sellers have another week to refund the return on receipt of the package.

I'll stick to Costco for purchasing my writing instruments.

I recommend the Parker Urban. Best value pen around and they do one in gold with pearl finish that might tickle your fancy.

http://www.purepens.co.uk/acatalog/Park ... -Pens.html
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6989
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby conjurer » November 27th 2017, 5:23pm

Anybody who spends more than 49 cents on a pen is fucking nutz.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24642
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby foghorn » November 27th 2017, 5:36pm

conjurer wrote:Anybody who spends more than 49 cents on a pen is fucking nutz.


True dat Brutha Bic!


I remember a member at BDWF back in the glory days by the name of Pipes. I think he made pens too.
GET OFF MY LAWN
Image

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member
 
Posts: 15387
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby Mark1 » November 27th 2017, 6:27pm

A friend of mine from the flying clubs wife makes pens. She obtained a chunk of wood from the Spruce Goose to make some pens which were auctioned off for a charity. She also made one from the donated material which she gave to the Evergreen Aviation Museum that houses the Spruce Goose. Little known fact: the Spruce Goose is made primarily of Birch but what rhymes with that?
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member
 
Posts: 7147
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby conjurer » November 27th 2017, 7:06pm

foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:Anybody who spends more than 49 cents on a pen is fucking nutz.


True dat Brutha Bic!


I remember a member at BDWF back in the glory days by the name of Pipes. I think he made pens too.


I remember Pipes! One night in the Hiberian Room at the BDWF mansion Pipes, who didn't take no shit from nobody, really got into it with Chuck Ninetoes. Even back then, BDWF was a pretty sleepy place; a lot of older guys nodding off over snifters of cognac, shit like that. Pipes was showing around a couple pens he had whittled out back by the BDWF latrine, and over storms Ninetoes--well, not storming, it's hard to storm over with a limp, and Ninetoes was pretty gimped up over his dire injury to his baby toe. Anyways, Ninetoes starts screaming at Pipes, "what the heck, Pipes! You want twenty bucks for one a those bull-hockey pens? Why, I get better pens at the mall, at the Precision Writing kiosk, right next to the Build-a-Bear. I get these great Scroto-mayer pens, for only a buck-fifty. That way, I have plenty of money left for my Crocs and my house down the shore."

Well, this didn't sit well with Pipes, and he piped up, sure enough: "Hey, Chuck," says he, pretty short, "nobody gives a fuck about your crap Chinese pens, so sit down, have some Boscoe, and shut the fuck up, would ya?"

Now, while the least little thing would make Chuck run for the hills, he didn't get riled up over much, apart from obese patients breaking expensive medical tables and shit, and people who spent more than twenty bucks on a watch (or a buck fifty on a pen). So they got into it, shit was getting broke all over the fucking place, and finally Mikey had to come out of the BDWF wine cellar and kick both of them in the motherfucking balls.

That sure was good times.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24642
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby JAS1125 » November 28th 2017, 3:53am

conjurer wrote:
foghorn wrote:
conjurer wrote:Anybody who spends more than 49 cents on a pen is fucking nutz.


True dat Brutha Bic!


I remember a member at BDWF back in the glory days by the name of Pipes. I think he made pens too.


I remember Pipes! One night in the Hiberian Room at the BDWF mansion Pipes, who didn't take no shit from nobody, really got into it with Chuck Ninetoes. Even back then, BDWF was a pretty sleepy place; a lot of older guys nodding off over snifters of cognac, shit like that. Pipes was showing around a couple pens he had whittled out back by the BDWF latrine, and over storms Ninetoes--well, not storming, it's hard to storm over with a limp, and Ninetoes was pretty gimped up over his dire injury to his baby toe. Anyways, Ninetoes starts screaming at Pipes, "what the heck, Pipes! You want twenty bucks for one a those bull-hockey pens? Why, I get better pens at the mall, at the Precision Writing kiosk, right next to the Build-a-Bear. I get these great Scroto-mayer pens, for only a buck-fifty. That way, I have plenty of money left for my Crocs and my house down the shore."

Well, this didn't sit well with Pipes, and he piped up, sure enough: "Hey, Chuck," says he, pretty short, "nobody gives a fuck about your crap Chinese pens, so sit down, have some Boscoe, and shut the fuck up, would ya?"

Now, while the least little thing would make Chuck run for the hills, he didn't get riled up over much, apart from obese patients breaking expensive medical tables and shit, and people who spent more than twenty bucks on a watch (or a buck fifty on a pen). So they got into it, shit was getting broke all over the fucking place, and finally Mikey had to come out of the BDWF wine cellar and kick both of them in the motherfucking balls.

That sure was good times.


Ah, memories....
The Hiberian Room was never quite the same after that.
Image
User avatar
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: January 29th 2013, 11:00pm

Re: Real, fake and real fake watches

Postby Datsun240Z71 » November 28th 2017, 4:53am

Fond memories are those.
Randy in Nashville
User avatar
Datsun240Z71
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: February 9th 2010, 11:00pm


Return to General Watch talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests