Seiko Pin and Collar Bracelets

Seiko Pin and Collar Bracelets

Postby AntFarm » November 26th 2017, 7:38am

Several years ago I had a Seiko Starfish and I needed to size the bracelet. I didn't realize that there were pins and collars holding the bracelet together until it was too late. Yes, the bracelet fell apart and I couldn't figure out why it happened. Finally I found information on pins and collars and realized my mistake. For those who may be unaware, I thought this would be a good video to share.
https://youtu.be/cwr3kkLKjqo
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Re: Seiko Pin and Collar Bracelets

Postby foghorn » November 26th 2017, 7:53am

Pin and collar bracelets are the work of the devil. I have sized some but there are times when I just pay to have it done when I don't feel up to the aggravation.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » November 26th 2017, 8:07am

foghorn wrote:Pin and collar bracelets are the work of the devil. I have sized some but there are times when I just pay to have it done when I don't feel up to the aggravation.

Thank you, thank you, THANKS. Earlier this year, I complained about the freakin' Seiko pin and collar bracelet and I got de-pantsed in quick order. Well, it's still a royal pain in the ass, since once i'ts accomplished it works no better and no worse than a traditional bracelet. That, and most Seiko bracelets pull more hair than a welfare mother battling the crowd for the last $9.99 toaster oven on Black Friday.
Last edited by TemerityB on November 26th 2017, 9:23am, edited 1 time in total.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby codguy » November 26th 2017, 8:45am

TemerityB wrote:That, and most Seiko bracelets pull more hair than a welfare mother battling the crowd for the last $9.99 toaster oven on Black Friday.

The funny shit you come up with is truly amazing.......

just wanted to put that out there TB

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » November 26th 2017, 9:16am

TemerityB wrote:
foghorn wrote:Pin and collar bracelets are the work of the devil. I have sized some but there are times when I just pay to have it done when I don't feel up to the aggravation.

Thank you, thank you, THANKS. Earlier this year, I complained about the freakin' Seiko pin and collar bracelet and I got de-pantsed in quick order. Well, it's still a royal pain in the ass, since once its accomplished it works no better and no worse than a traditional bracelets. That, and most Seiko bracelets pull more hair than a welfare mother battling the crowd for the last $9.99 toaster oven on Black Friday.

And more mfgs. are using this cursed system everyday.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » November 26th 2017, 9:24am

foghorn wrote:
TemerityB wrote:

Thank you, thank you, THANKS. Earlier this year, I complained about the freakin' Seiko pin and collar bracelet and I got de-pantsed in quick order. Well, it's still a royal pain in the ass, since once its accomplished it works no better and no worse than a traditional bracelets. That, and most Seiko bracelets pull more hair than a welfare mother battling the crowd for the last $9.99 toaster oven on Black Friday.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot easier. Getting it right the first time is the pain in the arse.

And thanks for the hat tip, cod.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » November 26th 2017, 11:02am

TemerityB wrote:
foghorn wrote:
TemerityB wrote:

Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot easier. Getting it right the first time is the pain in the arse.

Not for me. While the Seiko pin & collar system works, I've literally never sized a bracelet using it without losing at least one collar, and sometimes two or three. This might be due to the fact that I'm a spastic cock, and also that I tend to do this while drinking, which isn't a smart move.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » November 26th 2017, 2:28pm

Pin and collar systems are the devil incarnate. I have yet to resize one without letting loose a string of curse words that would make any drunken sailor proud.

My wife, on hearing these tirades now simply glances my way and asks, “pin and collar Seiko again?”
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » November 26th 2017, 2:48pm

I don't know that I have a Seiko with that system. Do remember encountering it on an Accutron years ago. Pain in the ass, especially
if you don't remember which way the pin goes in.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby horn_doc » November 28th 2017, 9:43am

Thank you for sharing the great info! I have a small tool set up to do my own sizing, but I haven't encountered that style of bracelet yet. I would have missed the boat on that system for sure!
horn_doc
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » November 29th 2017, 6:11am

I put a large bath towel on my work bench when I work on a watch. When a small piece tries to make a run for the wire it never bounces and hangs up in the towel.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » November 29th 2017, 7:04am

If you do happen to have one (of anything small) get lost, try covering the mouth of a vacuum cleaner with an old stocking, and zoom around where it might- or in some cases might not-be. That almost always works, and is much better than using a magnet, for obvious reasons.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby studmuffin » December 4th 2017, 7:19pm

I sized my Seiko Monster myself, but I didn't feel confident about it and spent a week constantly checking to see if the bracelet was on okay. I finally said screw it and replaced it with a Super Engineer II and never looked back. Of course all my "properly sized" images are on that #*@% PB site. I have all my original images so I just never got around to downloading my sized images from PB. Such a pain going to your old posts and seeing that asinine message from PB.

Edit: Downloaded the Chrome download extension and retrieved the images from PB. The Chrome extension worked like a charm. Now to check out Imgur.

Thanks for the tip about the downloaded extension.
studmuffin
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk