Maybe Timex Doesn't Suck Donkey Dicks So Bad...

Maybe Timex Doesn't Suck Donkey Dicks So Bad...

Postby conjurer » November 15th 2017, 1:09pm

Now that I'm over my childish rant over my First World Problem of Timex's lack of box-worthiness, I thought I'd take some snaps of the Marlin reissue, along with some quick impressions before I send the fucker away to my PITA brother.

Overall, the watch looks pretty good; the case measures closer to a 34mm than the advertised 33, 35mm with crown, 41.5mm lug to lug, 10.5mm thick. The lug width is 18mm. The crystal is nicely domed, with (I suppose) mineral glass. Winding via the very small crown:

Seems a little gritty, but not too bad. The finishing on the case is OK, but not very well done. The lines between high-polished parts (bezel, case side, and caseback) looks slightly muddy and not too sharp. The caseback pressing looks a little sub-par, although I haven't removed the plastic protector sheet:

The dial is very pretty, silver, with a nice sunray effect. The Sea-Gull movement looks to be 6bps. I haven't had a chance to time it, as I have to get it over to the Jolly Lesbian pretty quick, but Sea-Gull movements are good quality, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Obviously, this is a small watch, although it looks OK on my girlish 6.75 inch wrist:

The strap, which is embossed leather, feels a little stiff, like most lower-end straps. The buckle is signed and seems well made.

As a guy who really isn't into the whole vintage-look thing, I'm a little underwhelmed by the watch. If I was to compare it to some other stuff on the market, like the Hammy hand-crank field watch, or the new hand-wind stuff coming out from Orient, I'd go with them over the Marlin. Of course, hand-wind throwback men's watches in 34mm aren't exactly thick on the ground. In this thing of ours, pissing and moaning over the price of a $200 watch seems like bad form, and considering that Timex has blown these out the door and goofs are reselling them for almost twice the MSRP on ebay (I saw one on Etsy for the asking price of over $800), I guess this watch is priced about right.

Anyway, it's off to the Jolly Lesbo.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Maybe Timex Doesn't Suck Donkey Dicks So Bad...

Postby Falstaff » November 15th 2017, 2:06pm

Uh huh - "marry in haste...."
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » November 15th 2017, 2:42pm

Well, if he's in PITA, then he may take issue with the strap... This is actually a very cool watch, that I wish was a tad larger, but it's true to form.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » November 15th 2017, 3:14pm

Photos look good but I trust your hands on impressions more than pics. $200 seems ok but anyone who pays $800 for it really is an idiot.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Pubbie » November 17th 2017, 5:59am

biglove wrote:Photos look good but I trust your hands on impressions more than pics. $200 seems ok but anyone who pays $800 for it really is an idiot.

And idiocy needs money wringing out of it. I fully support the extraction of all surplus from idiocy!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk