Indiana Horn and the Tim Temple of Doom

Indiana Horn and the Tim Temple of Doom

Postby foghorn » November 1st 2017, 7:11am

Whilst rummaging through some of my older , seldom worn stuff and trying to organize boxes w/watches to make sales easier I came across my 4 remaining "TV WartcHes"

All are at least 10 years old. The easiest way to tell their age is that they don't appear to be built like shit. Plus I saw the receipt for one of them.

Here are the results of my archeological dig.

My first ever Invicta. Gold plated Pro Diver from the pre JS days on whatever Evine was called back then. I actually wore it for a couple of years as a work watch.No model number on the back. Miyota movement.

The gold plate was good shit back then. Scratches stayed gold.

Model 4499 Corduba.
I recall dumping on the fact that the big date was obscured by the chrono seconds hand. Other than that a solid waRtch. Crown and pushers screw down.

Speedway Elite-Model 9609A

Another solid watch with screw down crown and pushers. A perfect 40mm mens watch.pLATING ALSO HOLDS UP WELL ON THEIS BAD BOI!

And ,lastly, the world famous Magico "SpongeBob". At the time this was probably the biggest watch in the world. In reality it's about 42 mm square. It weighs a fucking ton though and is thick as a brick. Another Miyota. It came in a winder which I believe no longer exists in my world of horological detritus. May very well have one of the best bracelets ever .

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Re: Indiana Horn and the Tim Temple of Doom

Postby Rusty » November 1st 2017, 12:34pm

I think I remember when you got that Magico...

Every so often, I will catch myself watching that 70's show called "Invicta Night on Evine" and I remember my 30+ Invicta watches I had at one time. Some were nice, some were OK, and some were pure shit. But all are gone now and I sleep well knowing that.
Rusty
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 1st 2017, 8:18pm

A fun trip down Mendacity Lane, fog.

Those Miyota Pro Divers aren't awful because, as Mort and I both noted, there's very little Invicta in those Invictas - I'd wager Miyota (and, later, when the movements morphed into Seikos, as the watches are noted by Evine to be made in Malaysia) do the builds, as IWG farms out everything, even the Florida Crack Whores (TM).

I was actually gifted an auto Pro Diver a while back that I think I've worn once. I might break it out and see how it's doing.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby DocKlock » November 2nd 2017, 5:41am

Was that gold platten before Invicter changed to plating at the mole lect urerer level???
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk