little help re: engraving/etching?

little help re: engraving/etching?

Postby nimbleboy » October 30th 2017, 12:05pm

Ladies, Gents-

I will, in the not-too-distant future, purchase my first unaffordable watch. I understand that prevailing attitudes in Watchland generally advise against engravings, but an engraving will be integral to the purchase. I have a list of things I'd like on this watch, and that's really the only set-in-stone requirement.

Most of the watches I look at have sapphire crystal on the case back and often, engraved information on the stainless steel around it. I've looked around online quite a bit, but have been unable to figure out if the sapphire can be engraved/etched/sandblasted. Is that a thing?

Otherwise, I'm happy to stick to plain case backs. It just limits the watches I'm considering. (Rolex, Tudor, (some) Nomos, and (some) IWC are the main contenders.)

As I said, I've looked around quite a bit, and I've apparently looked in the wrong places. Until now, I assume.

Thanks.
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Re: little help re: engraving/etching?

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 30th 2017, 3:22pm

Having the sapphire crystal on the back decorated with such an inscription isn't really the best of ideas. For one, it doesn't look good. It's what Seiko tends to do with certain models (though it's not stricte an engraving or an etching, more likely paint or a decal), and it has something really cheap about it. I mean, it tends to somehow "downgrade" a watch. I haven't heard of any personalized inscriptions being done this way.

Second, even if you manage to get that done, the next thing to remember is that you're having an inscription done on a somewhat disposable component. Well, not really disposable, but brittle. Drop the watch accidentally, and the precious personalized inscription's gone to Fiddler's Green. A closed case back doesn't shatter.

Rolex or IWC are great choices- something like a Rolex Datejust or an IWC ref. 3714 makes an excellent presentation/commemorative watch.

If I may offer a suggestion - you could also consider a JLC Reverso. Offers more than enough space for an engraving.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby smellody » October 30th 2017, 4:23pm

I like Rolex. It's yours... engrave away. Screw 'em. Screw 'em all!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Racer-X » October 30th 2017, 4:27pm

I prefer the look of engraving on metal for it's patina over time. A solid caseback engraving recently made a certain watch a bit more special...
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » October 30th 2017, 6:03pm

What others have said. Rolex casebacks seem perfect for engraving.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby nimbleboy » October 30th 2017, 6:16pm

OK, thanks. You've all confirmed what I mostly suspected. I have considered the Reverso, haven't ruled it out. I think it's a bit more formal than I'd like. But it sure is pretty (and interesting- which ticks that box)...

The Rolex has been in the lead for awhile. I'm not fond of the cyclops, which narrows my choices a bit. I'm not totally sure what my budget looks like, either. I hope to know this week sometime.

Anyway, thanks again for the thoughts. Certainly helpful.

Also, I've looked at every German and Swiss watch brand site I could find. That said, if someone has a great idea...
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk