Modem Killer: Worn & Wound Watch Fair

Modem Killer: Worn & Wound Watch Fair

Postby TemerityB » October 29th 2017, 4:31pm

This weekend – heck, it's still going on as I'm typing this – at Chelsea Market in downtown New York City is the Worn & Wound Wind Up Watch Fair, which features a few established brands and a whole mess of micros and Kickstarter imprints. As Worn & Wound itself put it: “It's a 3-day-long watch culture event featuring a range of curated watch brands, accessories, and ephemera.” I love copy writers; this was miles away from the Watch Time event, this was a huge mess of card tables with watches on them of varying qualities. I'm not putting W&W down – it was a lot of fun to check out some brands for the first time, or mess with stuff you never have access to. Since there's no admission (and the amazing Chelsea Market, with is a giant art deco building filed with gourmet food shops), the watch fair was mobbed (I went on Saturday and today, Sunday, since I had to be in the neighborhood for something unrelated). A big plus was that you could buy stuff from the brands right on the spot, in most cases.

As with WatchTime, here's a mess of photos (not quite as good as last time but so be it), given to you the order of the stuff I was interested in first, down to the Kickerstarter crud that I would re-gift if someone was dumb enough to give me as a present. I didn't take photos of everything that was there thanks to vantage point limitations (tables surrounded by the backs of heads). The brands included Oris (the lead sponsor), MK II (couldn't get photos of this section because I couldn't get close enough to it, it was that popular), Orient, AutoDromo, Van Braughe, Adpt Straps, Halios, Geoffrey Roth, Dan Henry, Farer, Mondaine, Stowa, Tockr, and many new brands that you've never heard of, and will never be sold via traditional means. I'll skip any sort of editorial comment on that, but note that what I gravitated to was the stuff I personally am interested in. Between the Watch Time event and this one, I also now have enough catalogs to make a watch library in my den.

Whoever arranged this thing knew what they were doing: As soon as you entered, there was Oris right in the front, and they had much of their product line on display. Of great interest to me was one of the newest in the jazz line, an homage to Dexter Gordon, which, amazingly, sold about 20 minutes after I looked at it. A lot of divers, and lot of military styled pieces, and a lot of fun to check out. Given the knowledge base of this forum, I don't think I have to explain a lot of about Oris; most autos are modified Sellita. All their watches are automatic.

Orient made a rare touring appearance, buoyed by the presence of Long Island Watch's Mark Frankel, who actually helmed the booth, as I guess he reps the brands in this area. Got to chat him a little bit, which wasn't easy since the Orient area was packed. I eventually wound up buying a piece there, which I'll show at the end.

Hey, fog – Dan Henry! Before this event, I had never seen a Dan Henry in the wild; gotta tell you – I was really impressed with the quality at the super-low price points. Even my wife thought the designs were hot stuff, and I ended up buying her a watch as well – though we're gonna end up sharing it because it's really handsome and I'll wear it from time to time. Those 1970s auto diver-styled pieces now rank among the best bangs for the buck I've seen, and I'll recommend them after this. Present was Dan Henry himself, and he talked enthusiastically about his year-old brand, and people were gobbling them up left and right. Now I'm a fan, too.

Good to see so many Stowas on display. Their Prodiver line looks great; rock solid feeling and they were so high-end that Swiss movements, etched case backs, beautiful builds. I was kinda shocked to see them mixed in with this bunch.

I kind of enjoyed the area of a company called Those Watch Guys, which is a mail order/web company selling vintage pieces based in Massachusetts. Rolex, Gruen, Elgin, Tissot, Bulova, one Rolex; prices seemed fair.

I was also impressed with a company called Mercer, based in Jersey (!), which offered an array of classic-styled dress pieces, chronos, and such. Crystals ranged from mineral to sapphire, movements from Sea-Gull to Seiko to Swatch; most of their pieces are assembled in the U.S. Against all odds and my general micro-brand cynicism, I really liked what I saw.

Farer is a London brand that actually employs a lot of ETA autos and SuperLuminova (!) and they earn the “Swiss Made” mark on their dials, yet, they didn't do a lot for me. Kind of interesting with retro styling, but at what they were charging, I don't see it as any sort of value proposition like Dan Henry or Orient or even Oris, and if I'd spend that kind of scratch, it's the big boys for me.

Klokers is another Kickstarter brand with Swiss credibility, at least, and their designs aren't overly big … even if their dials are busier than a soup kitchen on Thanksgiving weekend.

Tockr watches look like 1970s drive-in movies speakers. They're Swiss-made and ridiculously heavy, like, they make SAN IIIs feel like plastic Swatch watches. I did enjoy meeting one of the company's founders, Sophy Rindler.

More recycling: Danish brand Rec takes metals from stuff like old Mustangs and classic Minis and Porsches and, well, you know the drill.

I've always admired Mondaine from afar because they've always done with they do; their designs are like the Ray Bans of the watch world, timeless – so have they done? Like those new Ward watches, they have a new Helevtica-faced design that actually says Helvetica right on the dial. Well, okay!

Here's some more brands on display:

Vortic was teeming with enthusiasm and they'll surely change the face of the watch universe:

Ended up buying a couple of pieces: My wife fell for the Dan Henry 1968 Dragster Chrono: Limited to 1968 pieces,
41mm, stainless steel 316L, anti-reflective sapphire, Miyota 6S20 quartz, shockingly good lume. I have to admit, I liked the styling on this one as much as she did. Yep, the roll, the extra Nato, the capsule, the works.

Also picked up this second generation Orient Bambino (version three), which I was enticed into since it was so inexpensive, as is the Orient way. Specs: Oriient Caliber F6724 Automatic, hand-winding, hacking, 40-hour power reserve, and looks like a nice dress watch, and got a great deal.

Hope you enjoyed.
Last edited by TemerityB on October 29th 2017, 4:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Modem Killer: Worn & Wound Watch Fair

Postby bedlam » October 29th 2017, 4:39pm

Brilliant 8-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » October 29th 2017, 4:58pm

I most certainly did enjoy. What a great time.
I'd love to get a hold of the Oris Dexter Gordon. Reading about it forced me to dig into some old pics I took back in the late 70's when I was "active" in the Boston jazz scene. I took this picture of "Long Tall Dexter" at a club called Jonathan Swifts in Harvard square and had the honor of talking a bit to DG. Coolest dude ever. Note the diminutive watch (by todays standards)(8:45-must've been the first set)

OK-Cecil over.

Thanks for the best post since the last one. Lotta fun.
And enjoy those 2 cool watches!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Racer-X » October 29th 2017, 5:14pm

Fantastic post. Like your pickups too.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 29th 2017, 5:33pm

foghorn wrote: I took this picture of "Long Tall Dexter" at a club called Jonathan Swifts in Harvard square and had the honor of talking a bit to DG. Coolest dude ever. Note the diminutive watch (by todays standards)(8:45-must've been the first set)

That's a man's watch, right there.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby artman » October 29th 2017, 10:55pm

Cool watches and you met Dan Henry! Sounds like a great time.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » October 29th 2017, 11:56pm

Almost as good as being there. The DH is a handsome looking watch, might have to pickup one of those myself.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » October 30th 2017, 3:48am

Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing T.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Wasp » October 30th 2017, 4:30am

Vicarious romp through a few makes that I was unaware of.
Cheers.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » October 30th 2017, 7:33am

Thanks for taking the time to post up the pictures and give a tour. I love these kind of threads.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » October 30th 2017, 9:09am

Great way to spend the day! Nice showcase for the start-ups. Thanks for the look-see.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » October 30th 2017, 9:20am

Dang, T; between you and ticker, we're starting to get up-to-date on the NYC watch scene. Excellent post and pics. Thanks!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby nimbleboy » October 30th 2017, 9:37am

Well, I pulled the trigger on that 1968. Hello, impulse buy. I ordered a different strap to go with it, though- a black and red Hirsch rally strap. I like the design of the one that comes with it, but I don't know what to do with dark brown straps.
Is it safe?
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » October 30th 2017, 11:32am

conjurer wrote:Dang, T; between you and ticker, we're starting to get up-to-date on the NYC watch scene. Excellent post and pics. Thanks!

The more I think about it, the more I guess I should be thankful for a lower-priced event just two weeks after one where most of the wares were pie-in-in-the-sky, save Tag and Alpina and the like - and I guess it's true that not every city gets to have stuff like this. The W&W was so mobbed on Sunday that I kind of just peeked in few a few minutes, picked up the Orient, and left; it was crazy. I'd wager a lot of people found something new they might have liked, so it's all good.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk