Dreck on watch websites

Dreck on watch websites

Postby Pubbie » October 25th 2017, 7:40am

From time to time I lurk on WUS, TRF and suchlike. Bugger me with a pitchfork, there's a whole mess o'ignorance there; I thought the internet was supposed to improve knowledge, not make people fuck-thick. Whenever people on those forums stop talking about brands and luxury, and pretend to get serious about movements, the ignorance is alarming. Amongst the horseshit I've read:

Can I handwind an automatic? No. Even if it winds up when you do it, it will explode. Don't
Does winding a manual-wind watch harm it? Yes. Those watches are not designed to be worn and used, just cooed over on the internet
Give me documented citations NOW that movement A is better than movement B. Bordering on autism, I feel?
Is Spring Drive a quartz watch? Sure. Or not. Depends which side of today's pointless bet you're on
Classify all these movements for me now in terms of high, medium-high, medium, medium-low and low levels of luxury and aspiration. Go forth and mulitply (but not in those words), you taxonomical freak
Is an 60-hour power reserve better than 40? No, it's worse. A shorter, more inconvenient power reserve is always better

Can anyone better these last few weeks' worth of utter sloblock?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Dreck on watch websites

Postby bedlam » October 25th 2017, 5:03pm

Its always a little annoying to see new people to the watch world stumble into all the stuff we learned long ago. I have some time for the noobs (though a lot less if they can't seem to Google anything for themselves).

Its the people who have been around but still hold onto classic chestnuts and proselytise about them at every opportunity...quartz v mech, sapphire v hardlex, low-beat v high-beat, etc. WUS is a haven for such people.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby labman » October 25th 2017, 8:18pm

Pubbie wrote:From time to time I lurk on WUS, TRF and suchlike. Bugger me with a pitchfork, there's a whole mess o'ignorance there; I thought the internet was supposed to improve knowledge, not make people fuck-thick. Whenever people on those forums stop talking about brands and luxury, and pretend to get serious about movements, the ignorance is alarming. Amongst the horseshit I've read:

Can I handwind an automatic? No. Even if it winds up when you do it, it will explode. Don't
Does winding a manual-wind watch harm it? Yes. Those watches are not designed to be worn and used, just cooed over on the internet
Give me documented citations NOW that movement A is better than movement B. Bordering on autism, I feel?
Is Spring Drive a quartz watch? Sure. Or not. Depends which side of today's pointless bet you're on
Classify all these movements for me now in terms of high, medium-high, medium, medium-low and low levels of luxury and aspiration. Go forth and mulitply (but not in those words), you taxonomical freak
Is an 60-hour power reserve better than 40? No, it's worse. A shorter, more inconvenient power reserve is always better

Can anyone better these last few weeks' worth of utter sloblock?

Post gave me a good laugh :cheers:

Although, I did have to google "Dreck" for an accurate definition rather than a poor assumption.

The questions presented did provide a good glue though :mrgreen:
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » October 26th 2017, 1:49am

Spend a little time surfing a site before speaking, it saves a lot of heartache and tons less 'pissed' posts from fucked-off WIS.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » October 27th 2017, 1:08am

It's not so much the genuine thirst for knowledge as the unthinking nature of the questions, and the agggressive, grasping way that people ask them. "Educate me NOW about something that's entirely discrationary and driven only by personal preference, you service provider". "Give me evidence now to support a 3rd party's assertion". How about "fuck off"?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 27th 2017, 3:46am

I saw a recent post asking what the best watch for sailing around the world is.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Pubbie » October 27th 2017, 4:03am

foghorn wrote:I saw a recent post asking what the best watch for sailing around the world is.

Jesus Christ.

How do these people get out of bed in the morning?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » October 27th 2017, 4:19am

Pubbie wrote:

Depends on what watch they wear for getting out of bed.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby codguy » October 27th 2017, 5:06am

What is WUS, TRF and suchlike?

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » October 27th 2017, 5:09am

You think it's bad on WUS, etc. Try looking at some of the mindless dross popping up on TZ-UK's "watch talk" sub-forum...
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » October 27th 2017, 5:30am

bobbee wrote:You think it's bad on WUS, etc. Try looking at some of the mindless dross popping up on TZ ROLEX-UK's "watch talk" sub-forum...

Fixed it for ya ;-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby codguy » October 27th 2017, 5:40am

What is TZ-UK?

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » October 27th 2017, 5:41am

bedlam wrote:
bobbee wrote:You think it's bad on WUS, etc. Try looking at some of the mindless dross popping up on TZ ROLEX-UK's "watch talk" sub-forum...

Fixed it for ya ;-)

Yup, TRF is a yes-man's paradise. Gushing and crowing, considerably-richer-than-you guys who constantly hint at their wealth, and a certain fake watch expert who bores the world. :D
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby MAX » October 27th 2017, 6:06am

Pubbie wrote:
foghorn wrote:I saw a recent post asking what the best watch for sailing around the world is.

Jesus Christ.

Better question is how do they find their way home after the street signs are taken down?
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » October 27th 2017, 6:11am

MAX wrote:
Pubbie wrote:

Jesus Christ.

Better question is how do they find their way home after the street signs are taken down?

They uses there loom!!
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Pubbie » October 27th 2017, 8:25am

codguy wrote:What is TZ-UK?

Quite an angry forum by the looks of it (although look where it's hosted!) - lots of people threatening to hurt each other in the last GTG thread I read. I didn't bother.

Allied to Timefactors, the company that owns the Smiths brand when it comes to watches?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 27th 2017, 10:55am

bobbee wrote:
bedlam wrote:

Fixed it for ya ;-)

Yup, TRF is a yes-man's paradise. Gushing and crowing, considerably-richer-than-you guys who constantly hint at their wealth, and a certain fake watch expert who bores the world. :D

Checked the Rolex Forum, and I didn't find anything by this "expert..." Unless we're not talking of the gremlin dressed like a German truck driver.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » October 27th 2017, 11:15am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
bobbee wrote:
bedlam wrote:

Fixed it for ya ;-)

Checked the Rolex Forum, and I didn't find anything by this "expert..." Unless we're not talking of the gremlin dressed like a German truck driver.

This sub forum: https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
In his Russel Crowe persona...
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 27th 2017, 1:30pm

bobbee wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
bobbee wrote:
bedlam wrote:

Fixed it for ya ;-)

This sub forum: https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
In his Russel Crowe persona...

Well, I know a far more suitable Latin username for him - Fraudator.
Bit of a pity it's not a new Roman Empire that we live in - if it was so, maybe he'd get eaten by a lion on an arena (the poor beast would likely suffer from digestion issues after that, though).
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk