A Concise History Of The Modern Watch World

A Concise History Of The Modern Watch World

Postby koimaster » October 6th 2017, 10:16am

Forty years ago last month, I started a new job as an associate editor on a monthly magazine with the tortured name of Jewelers’ Circular-Keystone. My reporting career began the year before on a newspaper in Cape May County, New Jersey. Things there went well. In addition to covering local news and politics, I got to cover some national stories like the Democratic Convention of 1976 and Jimmy Carter’s inauguration. The journalism gods smiled on the rookie and I won a couple of reporting awards. They were my ticket out of Cape May County in pursuit of that coveted five-figure salary. (Yep, it was four figures per year on small-town papers in those days.)

On my first day at the new job, the editor-in-chief, a wise Irishman named George Holmes, told me “You are going to cover watches.” JCK was a trade magazine whose audience consisted of jewelry industry professionals, primarily retail jewelers and their buyers. Watches was one of the magazine’s major beats, along with diamonds and colored gemstones.

I drove home from work that day depressed. Watches? Really? What can you possibly write about watches once a month?

Turns out it wasn’t hard at all. In 1977, the watch world was at war. The Swiss, the Japanese, the Chinese (Hong Kong and Taiwan then), and the Americans were engaged in a furious battle we know as the Quartz Watch Revolution. (In Switzerland, it’s still called the Quartz Crisis.) Within days of starting to cover the watch industry, I was hooked. This beat had everything: a 500-year-old consumer product that was an object of both art and science, a global market, national industries in the throes of technological change, high stakes and high drama, with a cast of remarkable characters fighting ferociously on the marketing and technology fronts. To paraphrase the great Wordsworth, writing about another revolution, “Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive / But to be a young watch reporter was very heaven!”

It has been my great fortune over four decades to have had a front-row seat at the making of the modern watch world. As I see it, today’s watch world was created by a series of four revolutions that, each in its turn, roiled the industry, creating not just fascinating new watches, but new categories of watches, as well as new watch consumers, brands, companies and groups.

Those revolutions are the Quartz Watch Revolution of the 1970s, the Fashion Watch Revolution of the 1980s, the Mechanical Renaissance of the 1990s, and today’s Smartwatch Revolution.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/four- ... troduction

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: A Concise History Of The Modern Watch World

Postby Pubbie » October 6th 2017, 10:35am

The modern watch world, according to Fuckdonkey? Brands, cash money, sovereign-wealth luxury, ostentatiousness, breathless internet reach-arounds and so much hype the Greeks must be spitting at the thought of even donating that word to denote such a pointless and self-obsessed spasm of mutual butthole massage. And don't forget fucking Facebook.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Re: A Concise History Of The Modern Watch World

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » October 6th 2017, 11:52am

Pubbie wrote:The modern watch world, according to Fuckdonkey? Brands, cash money, sovereign-wealth luxury, ostentatiousness, breathless internet reach-arounds and so much hype the Greeks must be spitting at the thought of even donating that word to denote such a pointless and self-obsessed spasm of mutual butthole massage. And don't forget fucking Facebook.

Amen.

Seeing the Donkeys make any analysis is somewhat enjoyable. I mean, it's enjoyable just like seeing a monkey on roller skates, trying to catch balance.

If like me you hate the Hoedonkeys, you might enjoy this:
http://watchlords.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=194
It's an almost complete record of my wee crusade against them - their ghastly Shop, which this would sum up best (Hoodwinkee in a nutshell):

...and a thorough bombardment of their rancid editorials and columns.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk