Bamford Abandons Rolex, Focuses On LVMH Division Brands

Bamford Abandons Rolex, Focuses On LVMH Division Brands

Postby Racer-X » September 24th 2017, 3:23pm

by Ariel Adams "I recently ran into George Bamford – of Bamford Watch Department – who shared with me that he will soon entirely stop customizing Rolex watches for customers. This news is sort of a big deal given that Bamford put his name on the horological map by being the world’s premier aftermarket customizer of Rolex timepieces. Anyone in the know always thinks of Bamford when it comes to serious Rolex watch customization, and any time someone sees a black-colored Rolex, chances are the Bamford name comes to mind. While Bamford still has some Rolex watch orders to fill, one of the world’s most famous modern-day Rolex collectors is putting “the crown” behind him."

Article at A Blog To Watch

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Bamford Abandons Rolex, Focuses On LVMH Division Brands

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 24th 2017, 3:50pm

I'm OK with companies customizing watches, only most of them have a rather poor taste. Maybe save for Blaken - their reinterpretations of classic Rolex designs (like the Paul Newman Daytona) are erection-inducing.

Most of BWD's designs - IMO - suck flaccid cock. Only a few of them aren't that bad - the vast majority is just plain ghey.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 24th 2017, 4:11pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:I'm OK with companies customizing watches, only most of them have a rather poor taste. Maybe save for Blaken - their reinterpretations of classic Rolex designs (like the Paul Newman Daytona) are erection-inducing.

Most of BWD's designs - IMO - suck flaccid cock. Only a few of them aren't that bad - the vast majority is just plain ghey.

They are meeting a demand. It is the consumer with poor tastes, and in the case of Bamford, poor tastes with a large disposable income.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » September 24th 2017, 6:37pm

I have bad taste then, I love the look of that ^ Zenith.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 24th 2017, 6:50pm

Well, they couldn't fuck it up just by having it painted* black. It is, in a way, good-looking the way they've modified it.

No colours any more, I want them to turn blaaaack...

*well, not really "painted."
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 24th 2017, 7:44pm

biglove wrote: It is the consumer with poor tastes, and in the case of Bamford, poor tastes with a large disposable income.

I'm right there with you. Bamford has done unspeakable things to Rolex watches for years. And, yeah - to me, this whole concept is rich-guy-showing-off stuff, and well, good heavens.
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » September 25th 2017, 2:55am

Some of the Bamford Subs were the most interesting things carrying a Rolex label I have seen in a long time. But then looking at Rolex offerings often sends me to sleep.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk