Beginner’s Guide for Competitive Timepiece Fans

Beginner’s Guide for Competitive Timepiece Fans

Postby koimaster » September 23rd 2017, 11:03am

Watch Geek 101: A Beginner’s Guide for Competitive Timepiece Fans

You just got your first serious watch, a Tag Heuer Autavia or maybe a Rolex Datejust, and everyone’s calling you a “Watch Geek.” Here’s how to actually become one and out-nerd your friends

Sept. 21, 2017 3:13 p.m. ET

Q: I just got my first serious watch, a NOMOS Glashütte Club Campus, and now everyone is calling me a watch geek. What would it take to actually qualify as one?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/watch-geek ... 1506021215

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Beginner’s Guide for Competitive Timepiece Fans

Postby conjurer » September 23rd 2017, 4:41pm

They want to subscribe so I can read the full story!! Fuck those elitist bastards!!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 23rd 2017, 5:52pm

conjurer wrote:They want to subscribe so I can read the full story!! Fuck those elitist bastards!!!

Yep. No chance.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » September 23rd 2017, 8:44pm

I must have done so at one time as it's showing up just fine.

However, in my estimation, it was no better than any similar article likely to appear in any similar general interest publication.

Nasty surprise trivia of the day: it seems a subscription to Stratfor auto renews and that baby is north of 300 bucks. I hate surprises.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » September 23rd 2017, 11:01pm

Hawk wrote:I must have done so at one time as it's showing up just fine.

However, in my estimation, it was no better than any similar article likely to appear in any similar general interest publication.

Nasty surprise trivia of the day: it seems a subscription to Stratfor auto renews and that baby is north of 300 bucks. I hate surprises.

Auto renews make me wish to hammer a Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 24th 2017, 2:56am

Paywall. No fucking way.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » September 24th 2017, 6:22am

Fuck 'em.
I shall smugly sit here and say the article is full of shit, and nobody will deny it - coz nobody read it.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby Hawk » September 24th 2017, 6:34am

bobbee wrote:Fuck 'em.
I shall smugly sit here and say the article is full of shit, and nobody will deny it - coz nobody read it.

Allow me an excerpt:
Bucking the digital-only publishing trend, the New York-based site Hodinkee (hodinkee.com) known for its stories on vintage watches, just did a print edition. The company also hired Joe Thompson, the dean of American watch writers, who for 17 years was editor at “WatchTime,” a bimonthly magazine that’s still worth the subscription.

And nary a mention of MK's "Bring a Brain" series.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 24th 2017, 7:28am

If that paragraph from the article was to be closer to the truth, it should be something like:

"Bucking the digital-only publishing trend, the New York-based site Hodinkee (hodinkee.com) aka Hoodwinkee, known for its fleecing Shop, rancid editorials, poorly written, badly researched and hype-oriented stories on vintage watches, just did a print edition, because every lie tends to get more trustworthy the moment it's printed. In an attempt to restore their questionable credibility (currently worth less than a bucket of manure), the company also hired Joe Thompson, the dean of American watch writers, who for 17 years was editor at “WatchTime,” a bimonthly magazine that’s not worth the subscription, as watch journalism is hardly ever worth paying for."

Why, no site will ever mention Bring a Brain, at least not for any other reason than to denounce it as the horological plebs' reactionist vendetta. That's because kissing Donkey arse pays better than supporting watchdogs, crusades for honesty and integrity, and the endless hunt for the truth.
Although, if it ever hits the headlines or even gets the most miserable mention just at the end of the daily batch of articles, I'll consider it a personal victory worth drinking to.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » September 25th 2017, 5:41am

"Competitive" says it right. Men wanking themselves - and occasionally each other - over who has something rarer, more exclusive and right-on in their "private collection" that sends the right messages. Essentially, hair gel that comes with a warranty card and a service liability. Oh well.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk