Running From IRMA

Running From IRMA

Postby MAX » September 19th 2017, 8:42am

We decided to bail at the last minute and of course couldnt take everything of value with us and the safe is only so big. I learned a little about myself and my feelings for my watches through this. Thinking we may come back to a leveled structure and nothing more I took these 3 out of 20.

and I wore this one 8 days straight. I really love this watch

Luckily all was well inside with the house when we returned and I have all my babies back. Would have hated to have lost them.

Did I make the right choices? Guess Ill never really know and Im happy about that.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Re: Running From IRMA

Postby TemerityB » September 19th 2017, 12:54pm

Good for you, max. Good to hear things seem to be working out.

Everyone down there, I hope all is good. I was hitting bricks for about a week since I have so many friends in FLA.
"May I suggest chicken?" - HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby svaglic » September 19th 2017, 1:02pm

It would suck having to make that choice.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby SynMike » September 19th 2017, 1:46pm

Wow. Deciding what to take... My parents lost there house to a "bush fire". That's Australian for forest fire. They were only married for a year at the time. They could only take whatever fit in 1 carload. They lost everything else. Years later my mom says Why did I bring the dish towels? It's not easy to be completely level headed in the "heat" of the moment (pun was not intended but noticed after the fact).

Getting out quickly with minimal stuff brings to mind the watch forum threads on "How many watches do you take when you travel" and the more hilarious "Do you ever wear more than 1 watch?". I think if my house was under threat, you might see me leaving with an Omega on each wrist.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » September 19th 2017, 6:10pm

Glad you are safe. I do love that red Steinhart of yours.

Have to admit that I have a box to transport all my watches. In a fire I wouldn't be able to get out with more than the one on my bedside table but with a few minutes warning that watch box is going in my backpack.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » September 19th 2017, 10:25pm

Very cool to hear all's well Max!
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MAX » September 20th 2017, 4:39am

Thanks guys, hope everyone else did as well as we did.

It is strange what you grab to take when you only have limited time. We have been writing up a list of what we would do and take if there is a next time.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby biglove » September 20th 2017, 5:40am

MAX wrote:Thanks guys, hope everyone else did as well as we did.

It is strange what you grab to take when you only have limited time. We have been writing up a list of what we would do and take if there is a next time.

Fortunately I have not had to do that. Sadly, in Florida you will probably get to implement your plan again. :(
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mark1 » September 20th 2017, 11:56am

Glad you made it out alright. I've got a Pelican waterproof case I customized to keep a dozen favorite watches in. If I ever need to I'll grab that thing on the way out the door. I live about 700 feet above river level but that thing floats as well.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Return to General Watch talk