What Can Nicolas Hayek Tell Us About Fixing The Industry?

What Can Nicolas Hayek Tell Us About Fixing The Industry?

Postby Racer-X » September 3rd 2017, 4:25am

by Ariel Adams "I recently re-read an interview from 24 years ago with Nicolas Hayek Senior that felt surprisingly relevant today. In the 1980s Nicolas Hayek Sr. put together the company now known as the Swatch Group, aka SMH. Among many other things he did, Hayek is the person most people associate with the force that "saved the Swiss watch industry" after the "quartz crisis" which severely threatened the traditional watch industry back in the 1970s and 1980s. While Hayek didn't act alone, a big part of his legacy continues to be the clever steps he took to save the Swiss watch industry, as well as its manufacturing base from the threat of cheaper – and in many instances more reliable – watches that could be produced much more cheaply in the Far East."

Article at A Blog To Watch
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: What Can Nicolas Hayek Tell Us About Fixing The Industry

Postby biglove » September 3rd 2017, 6:08am

AA lost me when I got to the bottom of the first page. Four pages of his rambling writing style is just too much.

I imagine AA sits and reads his own articles aloud to himself just to hear the sound of his own voice.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » September 3rd 2017, 7:01am

Why the fuck does REL feel the need to say that Hayek died the day before REL's birthday. Simply writing June 28th 2010 provides the pertinent information.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » September 3rd 2017, 7:07am

foghorn wrote:Why the fuck does REL feel the need to say that Hayek died the day before REL's birthday. Simply writing June 28th 2010 provides the pertinent information.

Because AA is a raging egomaniac. All history is, for him, centered around his birth.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby ocean » September 3rd 2017, 8:08am

Lost my interest as soon as I saw the site and AA name.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
ocean
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 3rd 2017, 11:15am

Skimmed through the first page only, as I can't really stomach much of his writing. Though the part about Hayek accusing others in the industry of "greed" and "arrogance" is quite ironic - especially with the SG and its monopolistic practices being the epitome of greed and arrogance alright.

BTW, what does "REL" mean? I guess it's an abbreviation of some "title" that AA has earned with his lousy writing. Really Egocentric Loser?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby biglove » September 3rd 2017, 11:33am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Skimmed through the first page only, as I can't really stomach much of his writing. Though the part about Hayek accusing others in the industry of "greed" and "arrogance" is quite ironic - especially with the SG and its monopolistic practices being the epitome of greed and arrogance alright.

BTW, what does "REL" mean? I guess it's an abbreviation of some "title" that AA has earned with his lousy writing. Really Egocentric Loser?

Phonetic, "R-E-L" = pronunciation of "Ariel," as far as I know.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » September 3rd 2017, 11:43am

biglove wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Skimmed through the first page only, as I can't really stomach much of his writing. Though the part about Hayek accusing others in the industry of "greed" and "arrogance" is quite ironic - especially with the SG and its monopolistic practices being the epitome of greed and arrogance alright.

Phonetic, "R-E-L" = pronunciation of "Ariel," as far as I know.

yup

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » September 3rd 2017, 6:26pm

You guys aren't kidding. All this I - me - my; I don't think TV Antenna Adams was like that when he started, but his writing has disintegrated into Steve Bannon-like auto fellatio.

These articles shouldn't even note what watch trends matter to the writer - they should just state what's going on. But such if life in the Interweb era, where professionalism is counted in site hits and re-Tweets instead of any actual quality.

I know I sound like an old fart, but well, it's fucking infuriating.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk