Confessions Of Serial Replica Watch Buyers

Confessions Of Serial Replica Watch Buyers

Postby koimaster » August 28th 2017, 8:56am

As a reminder, no replicas are allowed to be posted as your WURW on this forum. Have a fake watch, keep it to yourself or you risk be laughed out of the forum.

About 25 million authentic watches roll out of Switzerland’s manufacturing plants annually, compared to China’s 663 million. It is a known fact that some of these latter watches are illegal copies of others, resulting in a colorful and dynamic, albeit seedy and clearly criminal fake watch industry. Why are some of the world’s top brands copied when others are left alone? Who buys these replica watches and why? What can you do to ensure you’re getting the real thing? Let’s see.

While preparing this article, I spoke with a number of people who freely admitted to being replica enthusiasts. “Just don’t use my name,” each said. One young man told me how he justified buying his first copy watch.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/confessions ... L_CAMPAIGN)

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Confessions Of Serial Replica Watch Buyers

Postby conjurer » August 28th 2017, 9:04am

Fakes collectors are the NAMBLA of the hobby.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » August 28th 2017, 9:14am

There is a guy at TZ-UK that had a copy made of a wartime Panerai. He says it isn't a fake, it's a homage, but it has all the right names and numbers engraved/printed on it.
He got a little uptight when I told him it's still a fake watch, no matter how many thousand it cost...
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 9:55am

PiningforElgin

Postby TemerityB » August 28th 2017, 11:22am

^^^^^ Slightly off topic: Another example of ButtBucket screwing up threads, likely forever.

Can't stand PB for what it's done.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 11:40am

TemerityB wrote:^^^^^ Slightly off topic: Another example of ButtBucket screwing up threads, likely forever.

Can't stand PB for what it's done.

Hopefully the poster can replace them with the real pics! I thought it is possible to upload pictures to WUS
PiningforElgin

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 28th 2017, 1:31pm

bobbee wrote:There is a guy at TZ-UK that had a copy made of a wartime Panerai. He says it isn't a fake, it's a homage, but it has all the right names and numbers engraved/printed on it.
He got a little uptight when I told him it's still a fake watch, no matter how many thousand it cost...

Reminds me of all the morons, who came to WUS F11 for instructions on how to build a fake vintage watch - for example, there was one guy who wanted to fit a Heuer dial on a run-of-the-mill chronograph, "to enjoy the dial."

That Panerai - judging by the description - was a fake, plain and simple. A "hommidge" may be close to a full copy, but it is never entirely that.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 2:03pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
bobbee wrote:There is a guy at TZ-UK that had a copy made of a wartime Panerai. He says it isn't a fake, it's a homage, but it has all the right names and numbers engraved/printed on it.

Reminds me of all the morons, who came to WUS F11 for instructions on how to build a fake vintage watch - for example, there was one guy who wanted to fit a Heuer dial on a run-of-the-mill chronograph, "to enjoy the dial."

That Panerai - judging by the description - was a fake, plain and simple. A "hommidge" may be close to a full copy, but it is never entirely that.

If somebody did that for personal enjoyment and not showing off or deceiving people, but just as a hobby, like building paper copies of cars and ships, maybe it's not as bad. Like if some insanely rich dude built a life-size metallic model of a WWII military boat to look at in his room, of course it's not the real boat, but one can't really accuse him of making a fake - it's a model
PiningforElgin

Postby foghorn » August 28th 2017, 2:07pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
If somebody did that for personal enjoyment and not showing off or deceiving people, but just as a hobby, like building paper copies of cars and ships, maybe it's not as bad. Like if some insanely rich dude built a life-size metallic model of a WWII military boat to look at in his room, of course it's not the real boat, but one can't really accuse him of making a fake - it's a model

GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 28th 2017, 4:10pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

If it is accurate down to stuff like serial and reference numbers (and - optionally - military issue markings), then yes, it is a fake.

"No, officer, that artificially aged Van Gogh canvas that I have painted is a model, not a fake, and I didn't want to sell it at Sotheby's, I just wanted to hang it on the wall in the loo, I don't know how did it end up being for sale!"
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 4:18pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

If it is accurate down to stuff like serial and reference numbers (and - optionally - military issue markings), then yes, it is a fake.

"No, officer, that artificially aged Van Gogh canvas that I have painted is a model, not a fake, and I didn't want to sell it at Sotheby's, I just wanted to hang it on the wall in the loo, I don't know how did it end up being for sale!"

The kind of replica paintings are pretty common and you can buy one on Amazon for two Benjamins:

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Painted-Rep ... B006VULDPE

If it's illegal Amazon would have taken it down
PiningforElgin

Postby Mark1 » August 28th 2017, 4:21pm

This thread is HorseTrack approved.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 28th 2017, 4:30pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

The kind of replica paintings are pretty common and you can buy one on Amazon for two Benjamins:

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Painted-Rep ... B006VULDPE

If it's illegal Amazon would have taken it down

They're imitations that differ from the real deal, not even pretending to be very accurate. And with watches where stuff like serial, reference (and issue) numbers are being copied, we're talking of the David Stein level.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » August 28th 2017, 4:56pm

Mark1 wrote:This thread is HorseTrack approved.

Ahhh, memories....
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Richt2k » August 29th 2017, 7:15am

I came here from a replica forum looking for information on Lum-Tec who were advertising heavily on the rep sites at the time. Thanks to you guys and to the information on this forum, I swore off replicas and I haven't purchased any since. I regret spending so much money on junk and funding criminals.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the members here!
Richt2k
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 29th 2017, 12:28pm

The only thing as bad as Serial Replica Watch Buyers: Replica cereal.

Beware (and these are all real, and heaven knows where or how they're made):
Fruit Loops ...Fruity Os, Fruit Spins
Trix ... Pranks
Life .. Live It Up
Cap'n Crunch .. Krispy Krunch, Crunchy Caps

Whatever you do, don't eat replica cereal while wearing a fake Tudor. You're just asking for it.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to General Watch talk