Where are they now? Watch brands fading away

Where are they now? Watch brands fading away

Postby koimaster » August 21st 2017, 3:11pm

All things come and go in cycles even watch brands. So what happened to brands like Perrelet? Unless you hang on forums Stowa and Nomos are spitting in the wind IMO. Clerc is another one I never see anymore. I doubt anyone but WIS know of Oris or Montblac (fountain pens if known at all).

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Where are they now? Watch brands fading away

Postby biglove » August 21st 2017, 3:29pm

koimaster wrote:All things come and go in cycles even watch brands. So what happened to brands like Perrelet? Unless you hang on forums Stowa and Nomos are spitting in the wind IMO. Clerc is another one I never see anymore. I doubt anyone but WIS know of Oris or Montblac (fountain pens if known at all).

Otis Oris, in my experience, is known outside of WIS. One of our local docs wears one.
Last edited by biglove on August 21st 2017, 8:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » August 21st 2017, 3:33pm

biglove wrote:
koimaster wrote:All things come and go in cycles even watch brands. So what happened to brands like Perrelet? Unless you hang on forums Stowa and Nomos are spitting in the wind IMO. Clerc is another one I never see anymore. I doubt anyone but WIS know of Oris or Montblac (fountain pens if known at all).

Otis, in my experience, is known outside of WIS. One of our local docs wears one.

does he also have a milo watch?

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Mark1 » August 21st 2017, 3:55pm

Every time I look at WatchRecon or just about any watch retailer I see brands I have never heard of. The industry seems very saturated at this point. I can't imagine there has ever been a time when there were more watch brands available than there are today. There's only so much shelf space around at AD's. With so many brands and so many people buying online, the outlook is bleak for all but the few long established and average consumer recognized brands.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » August 21st 2017, 3:56pm

Otis, my man!!!
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Thunder1 » August 21st 2017, 4:17pm

Ebel is another brand with little momentum going for it..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » August 21st 2017, 4:21pm

A senior executive at my office I've seen often has worn multiple Oris watches (at different times of course) which was a pleasant sight to see for a warch enthusiast

Enicar is a classic brand IMO is fading away. New Enicar watches are all meh
PiningforElgin

Postby Falstaff » August 21st 2017, 5:13pm

Yup, Oris - along with Hamilton, is often a budding collector's first "better" watch. I don't see Longines setting the world on fire though.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » August 21st 2017, 5:18pm

Falstaff wrote:Yup, Oris - along with Hamilton, is often a budding collector's first "better" watch. I don't see Longines setting the world on fire though.

Longines make 1 million watches per year, even more than Omega.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » August 21st 2017, 5:26pm

tiktok wrote:
Falstaff wrote:Yup, Oris - along with Hamilton, is often a budding collector's first "better" watch. I don't see Longines setting the world on fire though.

Longines make 1 million watches per year, even more than Omega.

I seldom see them other than on the forums.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby abduksion » August 21st 2017, 5:36pm

I have yet to see any of the brands listed above except Omega and Oris in the flesh.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby tiktok » August 21st 2017, 5:46pm

I used to see Longines offered as the premium line in B level jewelry stores in every mall. Some of their products are quite nice...for someone.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » August 21st 2017, 5:59pm

I have to disagree about Nomos - hottest brand out there. They're all over NYC and Long Island, but then again, I realize this area is what it is. All I know is his: I know people in real time than own them (at least three but it could be four). The new Club Campus models are freakin' everywhere, here because they're both affordable and come in a bunch of Android-like day-glo colors (and, obviously, the first Nomos models I wouldn't get near).

And again, it must be my large city perspective - every single brand you guys mentioned seems to be doing just fine around here. I think my perspective is warped by living in a city with like 100 brand boutiques and a watch store on every block, seemingly.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » August 21st 2017, 8:42pm

Don't forget the Campanolas on 42nd Street. If the watches weren't so freaking big I would have pounced.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » August 21st 2017, 8:47pm

At the same time TB, these boutiques are advertisements for the brands. An AD friend sold Breguet until Breguet opened its boutique and now Breguet seems eager to close deals. I haven't played negotiations with a sales associate, seems unfair just to see how low they will go, but price drops, the enemy of the boutique ethos are to be had
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby iwasbanned » August 21st 2017, 9:11pm

Grand Seiko. The only one I've ever seen, was on my wrist!
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » August 21st 2017, 10:09pm

iwasbanned wrote:Grand Seiko. The only one I've ever seen, was on my wrist!

They're said to be very big in Tokyo.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby abduksion » August 21st 2017, 10:10pm

I believe its because a lot of non watch collectors see the name Seiko and just assume you paid $200
cause most non watch collectors would never pair $6k for a GS.
I've never felt like I truly belonged here and I believe it's time I move on.
abduksion

Postby BigCheez » August 22nd 2017, 3:46am

abduksion wrote:

I believe its because a lot of non watch collectors see the name Seiko and just assume you paid $200
cause most non watch collectors would never pair $6k for a GS.

Most non collectors would only pay that for a car. Unless they have to get a Rolex to prove they have arrived. (Not a dig on Rolex, just the reality of the non-enthusiast watch world)
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » August 22nd 2017, 4:10am

BigCheez wrote:Most non collectors would only pay that for a car.

A lot of collectors too.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby BigCheez » August 22nd 2017, 4:15am

foghorn wrote:
BigCheez wrote:Most non collectors would only pay that for a car.

A lot of collectors too.

Apparently, based on my sales history ;)
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 22nd 2017, 7:55am

A lot of brands became WIS-oriented, as advertising at the watch blogs and forums tends to be easier than trying to get to the average non-WIS buyer. Probably less expensive, too.

Sometimes it's just about inept marketing departments, really. Eterna, for example - almost no ads anywhere, no social media presence, nothing. Dunno who's in charge of marketing there, but possibly someone whose mind is stuck in the Stone Age.

Perrelet is a zombie brand. Not to mention, that if they skeletonize the rotor on a Soprod ebauche and call it an in-house movement, there's just something very fucking wrong with them.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » August 22nd 2017, 8:51am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:A lot of brands became WIS-oriented, as advertising at the watch blogs and forums tends to be easier than trying to get to the average non-WIS buyer. Probably less expensive, too.

Sometimes it's just about inept marketing departments, really. Eterna, for example - almost no ads anywhere, no social media presence, nothing. Dunno who's in charge of marketing there, but possibly someone whose mind is stuck in the Stone Age.

Perrelet is a zombie brand. Not to mention, that if they skeletonize the rotor on a Soprod ebauche and call it an in-house movement, there's just something very fucking wrong with them.

Eterna and Enicar are both Chinese-owned now, right? I recall seeing that somewhere, although their watches are still assembled in Switzerland with Swiss movements

As for Perrelet, they are owned by Festina, which to my knowledge is not a company known for playing dirty games. Correct me if I'm wrong though
PiningforElgin

Postby svaglic » August 22nd 2017, 9:16am

Brands coming and going has always been a part of the watch game. Look at all the vintage brands that came and went, there are tons of names no one has heard of before on eBay. I even have some in my watch box.
Louvic, Belle De Jour, Harvester, Valjean, Delaware etc...
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 22nd 2017, 9:22am

PiningforElgin wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:A lot of brands became WIS-oriented, as advertising at the watch blogs and forums tends to be easier than trying to get to the average non-WIS buyer. Probably less expensive, too.

Eterna and Enicar are both Chinese-owned now, right? I recall seeing that somewhere, although their watches are still assembled in Switzerland with Swiss movements

As for Perrelet, they are owned by Festina, which to my knowledge is not a company known for playing dirty games. Correct me if I'm wrong though

Eterna is owned by the Chinese alright. Enicar, well... Enicar is a zombie, producing rather ghastly watches, which - save for the logo - has little or nothing to do with the original Enicar. Dunno who owns the brand, may well be the Chinese, but given how shitty most of contemporary Enicars look, frankly I'm beyond caring as to who owns the company.

Never heard of any Festina controversies- Festina itself doesn't need to play dirty games. Perrelet, which doesn't have much of a following, has all reasons to play them, though - it's a matter of surviving in the market, I think.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Next

Return to General Watch talk