Revolution Talks Restoration

Revolution Talks Restoration

Postby koimaster » July 19th 2017, 8:35am

I am here in New York City attending the opening of Patek Philippe’s wonderful Grand Exhibition. We were fortunate enough to have a private Revolution USA tour before the exhibit opened, and the timepieces they have brought to the US are nothing short of amazing. If you have the opportunity to come here (the exhibition runs from until the 23rd of July), it’s well worth it. The exhibition is free and open to the general public, so think about making a trip to the Big Apple to learn more about the history of portable timekeeping and about Patek Philippe.

I was able to sit down with Christian Laats, a restoration watchmaker who works in the Patek Philippe Museum in Geneva and was instrumental in preparing the timepieces in the Grand Exhibition for display.

What is your role at the museum?

“In the museum, I have restored a number of the watches on display. I specialize in the antique, which is 100 – 500 years old. At the museum, we have two collections, Patek Philippe watches and the antique collection. Most of our watches in the collection are working. Some of the pieces are not working, because restoring them would change the “historical evidence.” For example, say we have a piece from the 16th century, if we have to restore it to working order, it would not be the same watch. We would have to change out the parts, and as a result, it would be remade by me. That’s not historically interesting.

https://www.revolution.watch/revolution ... ian-laats/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to General Watch talk