No, you can’t buy a review

No, you can’t buy a review

Postby Racer-X » July 17th 2017, 9:57pm

by John Biggs "This is a note for all those requesting to “buy” a review on WristWatchReview: you can’t. I know it’s fun and seems easy and I know the other guys do it but we don’t. All of the watches we review on the site are actually reviewed from a critical perspective and if a watch doesn’t appear on this site its either because the a) company is too snooty to provide review samples (which we return) or b) we don’t like the watch and don’t want to go through the trouble of a detailed review for the bottom line to read “Ugh, this thing is awful.”

Article at WristWatchReview
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: No, you can’t buy a review

Postby conjurer » July 17th 2017, 9:59pm

Jaysus! What a concept!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 18th 2017, 7:40am

Good to know they aren't shills!
PiningforElgin

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 18th 2017, 9:02am

On one hand, it looks like a commendable approach to what plagues the watch media, but it's still far from good. Just reading between the lines, they won't really be properly critical of anything, which means, that while they might not necessarily be on the industry's payroll, it's still going to be all flattery. Frankly, that's where watch media is unique in terms of how shitty is the state of things in it. Looking at any other niche, cars for example, it's the manufacturers that try to appease the reviewers, and in watch journalism - here I'll paraphrase Frank Underwood a little bit- it's the reviewers blowing the industry, to an extent where while reading a review on any major site, you can smell the cock on the reviewer's breath.

It's of course quite nice to know, that this flattery won't be seasoned with a lack of integrity, but the lack of a spine is a seasoning no better. Not going through the trouble of reading just to learn that the reviewer doesn't like the watch? Bollocks. Almost as if they had no notion of how to disapprove of something with a bit of flair and class.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 18th 2017, 9:14am

When I used to lurk on WUS I enjoyed conjurer's reviews. He should start a review site
PiningforElgin

Postby bedlam » July 18th 2017, 4:57pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:On one hand, it looks like a commendable approach to what plagues the watch media, but it's still far from good. Just reading between the lines, they won't really be properly critical of anything, which means, that while they might not necessarily be on the industry's payroll, it's still going to be all flattery. Frankly, that's where watch media is unique in terms of how shitty is the state of things in it. Looking at any other niche, cars for example, it's the manufacturers that try to appease the reviewers, and in watch journalism - here I'll paraphrase Frank Underwood a little bit- it's the reviewers blowing the industry, to an extent where while reading a review on any major site, you can smell the cock on the reviewer's breath.

It's of course quite nice to know, that this flattery won't be seasoned with a lack of integrity, but the lack of a spine is a seasoning no better. Not going through the trouble of reading just to learn that the reviewer doesn't like the watch? Bollocks. Almost as if they had no notion of how to disapprove of something with a bit of flair and class.

So propaganda through the selective highlighting or hiding of information is still propaganda? How radical of you ;)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk