RedBarPDX meeting yesterday

RedBarPDX meeting yesterday

Postby koimaster » July 13th 2017, 12:53pm

Jaw invited several of us to attend a RedBar gathering in Portland yesterday. The local RedBar chapter was started by a local watch maker Kelly Hunter. This was the first time I had seen several of the members since 2015 when I was finally released into the wild by my doctors. Jaw, the Pirate Smellody, John (conjurer) were there along with Kelly and several RedBar members I did not know. MArk could not make it to this event. John was released from parole by his wife so he could come down from the Seattle area to enjoy the company of Pirates and other unsavory types.

Jaw brought several of his watches including a Doxa :shock: This will be the only time I will ever have a Doxa on my wrist. Jaw brought several other watches including a Magerette. which he tried to use as a hammer on the Pirate. John was showing us his Omega and the Tudor he purchased from Christopher. Both very nice watches. Christopher was quite pleased with is chocolate Daytona but I have to wonder where that rubber strap he had on it was sourced from. It looked a bit like an Inflicta one.

It was nice to see the folks I know once again. Been too long. I want to thank all of the guys for coming to the meeting, to Jaw for inviting me, to John for breaking parole and to Smells for beaching his pirate ship for a bit.

Cheers.

ABOUT REDBAR

The RedBar Crew is a group of watch collectors and enthusiasts that meets regularly in NYC. Started by Adam Craniotes and Dr. Jeffrey Jacques after a chance encounter, it quickly grew from a monthly drink and chat between the two of them to a weekly gathering of dozens of collectors. RedBar has now expanded to other cities and the #redbarcrew hashtag on Instagram is avidly followed by horology enthusiasts around the globe.

RedBar Group is the official organization for our international collective of watch collectors. Founded by Adam Craniotes and Kathleen McGivney, RedBar Group's goals include fostering the growth of existing collector communities around the globe, helping fellow enthusiasts start new meetups in their local areas, and encouraging collectors to give back to the local communities where our gatherings take place. As a company, we want to echo our passion for horology with a dedication to helping those in need in our communities.

http://redbargroup.com/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: RedBarPDX meeting yesterday

Postby conjurer » July 13th 2017, 1:00pm

I certainly had a great time, capped off by a slightly hair-raising ride back to the Hyatt by Christopher in his Mercedes. He told me an amusing anecdote about a tweeker he crossed paths with that made me laugh hard.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » July 13th 2017, 1:07pm

Was there vaping?

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby jaw » July 13th 2017, 1:15pm

Thanks for showing up guys. I'm proud that you managed to display your best behavior without jacking-up a young hipster or two. Please know that I personally checked all your trunks for abductees on my vape breaks. Besides, It would have been a pretty scant meeting without the Lords. There are usually more attendees filtering in/out, + a watch photographer that eventually posts here https://www.instagram.com/redbarpdx/.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » July 13th 2017, 1:18pm

Please send Adam my love.💛🐺🐺🐺
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby smellody » July 13th 2017, 1:36pm

It was a great time. Thanks again for the invite Jaw! There was a dude there that likes Tooters as much as me.

Koi tried to wear my Daytona home. Tried. . .

Conjurer said something about "go ahead and dent my door." John was staying at one of Portland's poshest spots down by the river and uses valet parking.

Thank God Koi, John, and Jaw ate my fucking tots.

Pretty cool time! Looking forward to the next!

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » July 13th 2017, 5:23pm

smellody wrote:
Thank God Koi, John, and Jaw ate my fucking tots.

Now, there's a line that I dare not respond to.
"No way was I ever going over to the dark side of WL." – Abraham-Louis Brequet
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » July 13th 2017, 5:32pm

Wish I could have made it, let me know when you have another. Would have liked to see you guys but on the plus side I was about 4 inches from an Eagle on the 14th hole. Got one of the KP prizes, so all was not lost.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » July 13th 2017, 9:54pm

jaw wrote:Thanks for showing up guys. I'm proud that you managed to display your best behavior without jacking-up a young hipster or two. Please know that I personally checked all your trunks for abductees on my vape breaks. Besides, It would have been a pretty scant meeting without the Lords. There are usually more attendees filtering in/out, + a watch photographer that eventually posts here https://www.instagram.com/redbarpdx/.

This was my first (relatively) extended stay in Portland, and I have to admit, there were certainly hipsters in great abundance.

I got to the Hyatt at about three in the afternoon; I handed the keys of my jaunty Hyundai roadster to the hipster valet, and decided to enjoy a coffin nail before checking into the hotel--it was non-smoking, as was pretty much everyplace else in Portland. It was a beautiful day, in the low eighties, and there I was, a middle-aged, overweight fucking Chicagoan puffing on a Marlboro. Everywhere around me were hipsters; if I had a camera during the eight minutes it took me to suck down some nicotine, I could have shot enough pictures to publish a Portland 2018 calendar. To the left I saw plenty of streetcars clanking along; to the right, a group of hipsters riding lime green shared bicycles, looking like they were finalists in the Special Olympics. And all around me, all of them talking on their smartphones, hipsters of various stripes, all of them needing shaves, many in skinny jeans and neckbeards and porkpie hats. If foghorn was there, his fucking head would have exploded like the guy in Scanners.

I have to admit, however, that everyone I met there was exceedingly--almost annoyingly--friendly, more so than I usually see in Seattle, which generally pins the Douche-o-meter.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » July 14th 2017, 5:39pm

It takes you 8 minutes to smoke a cigarette?

I can suck down two 100's in that time.

Me>You
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » July 14th 2017, 6:03pm

AJC wrote:It takes you 8 minutes to smoke a cigarette?

I can suck down two 100's in that time.

Me>You

I can knock out three in 10" and that's if I am not in a hurry. Of course my lungs aren't 100 years old, either. ;)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » July 15th 2017, 6:23am

biglove wrote:
I can knock out three in 10 and that's if I am not in a hurry. ;)

And yet you were the one preaching espousing the harmful effects of vaping.............

koimaster wrote: http://redbargroup.com/

That Seamaster GMT looks familiar, I had seen one just like it being worn at a nearby book store. :Beerbang:

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » July 15th 2017, 8:59am

codguy wrote:
biglove wrote:
I can knock out three in 10 and that's if I am not in a hurry. ;)

And yet you were the one preaching espousing the harmful effects of vaping.............

Yep. Still stand by what I have said previously. Cigarettes are a known and regulated entity, vaping is neither.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bobbee » July 15th 2017, 9:08am

Vaping stopped me from smoking.
I was on forty a day until my near-death experience with DVT and XL pulmonary embolism. I took to vaping like the proverbial fish to water, and after 3 months I ran out of the vape oil and thought "Fuck it, I don't need any of this".
Never had any of either since March 2011.
Cigarettes kill, both (within 36 hours of each other) my inlaws, two cousins and an uncle died of cancer. Another uncle had a lung removed from passive smoking (his partner smokes 20-30 a day-STILL!) only a month ago.
Vaping is simply a life saver to me.
Compared to deaths by smoking, the deaths of vaping are nothing.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » July 15th 2017, 10:33am

I just recovered from 2 months of simultaneous pneumonia and bronchitis which resulted in a week long hospital stint and asthma. Lit up a pall mall when I got home.

You know why? Because...

-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » July 15th 2017, 10:35am

Oh fuck. I didn't read the post above me. Sorry for your loss.

I still smoke contrary to what my body is telling me.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » July 15th 2017, 11:06am

bobbee wrote:Vaping stopped me from smoking.
I was on forty a day until my near-death experience with DVT and XL pulmonary embolism. I took to vaping like the proverbial fish to water, and after 3 months I ran out of the vape oil and thought "Fuck it, I don't need any of this".
Never had any of either since March 2011.
Cigarettes kill, both (within 36 hours of each other) my inlaws, two cousins and an uncle died of cancer. Another uncle had a lung removed from passive smoking (his partner smokes 20-30 a day-STILL!) only a month ago.
Vaping is simply a life saver to me.
Compared to deaths by smoking, the deaths of vaping are nothing.

Sorry for your losses and glad you are off both.

Thing is, we know that vapers have a higher incidence of MRSA pneumonia already. What damage it is really doing may not be known for 20-40 more years.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » July 15th 2017, 11:08am

MRSA pneumonia? Are you shitting me? That's a death sentence, right?
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » July 15th 2017, 1:09pm

AJC wrote:MRSA pneumonia? Are you shitting me? That's a death sentence, right?

Nah, just more difficult to treat. Looking at 10-14 days IV Vancomycin or a few other antibiotics. Does tend to recur more often.

Out of a 27 bed floor I am over we had three cases this week. Considering the patient admit/discharge rate, that's about 2% of the patients there the last seven days.

One of my coworkers was just speaking a couple of weeks ago about the spike in cases after vaping became popular locally.

"Upon exposure to e-cigarette vapor extract (EVE), airway colonizer SA had increased biofilm formation, adherence and invasion of epithelial cells, resistance to human antimicrobial peptide LL-37, and up-regulation of virulence genes. EVE-exposed SA were more virulent in a mouse model of pneumonia. These data suggest that e-cigarettes may be toxic to airway cells, suppress host defenses, and promote inflammation over time, while also promoting virulence of colonizing bacteria."

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 016-1378-3
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » July 15th 2017, 2:21pm

biglove wrote:
One of my coworkers was just speaking a couple of weeks ago about the spike in cases after vaping became popular locally.

Not to mention the spike in epididymal obstruction cases caused by skinny jeans.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » July 15th 2017, 2:39pm

foghorn wrote:
biglove wrote:

Not to mention the spike in epididymal obstruction cases caused by skinny jeans.

And some four years later we are now seeing an increase in necrotizing fasciitis of the scalp from dirty pork-pie hats
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk