Follow UP question I have

Follow UP question I have

Postby abduksion » July 11th 2017, 8:41am

I didn't want to hijack my own thread from yesterday when I asked about watches under $2k. Now right now
has I type this I'm 50/50 between a new watch or a new laptop now my BD is coming up in a couple weeks so twice
a yr I usually buy a new watch for myself BD and Christmas I know its a little cheesy but its the two times a yr I don't
feel guilty. Now I was thinking if I do get a new watch should I stay with local jewelers and try to workout a deal? Or
should I buy pre owned from a site like Ashford? I've brought from them once last yr but never used watches. Is it better
to go used with all the boxes and paper work or spend the extra cash for a newer model?
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf.
abduksion
Old Fart

Re: Follow UP question I have

Postby koimaster » July 11th 2017, 9:06am

Look for a good pre-owned one if looking to save a few bucks. As far as computers, it depends on what you are looking for.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby iwasbanned » July 11th 2017, 9:15am

Why don't you start with what watch you want and then figure the rest.
iwasbanned
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » July 11th 2017, 11:13am

koimaster wrote:Look for a good pre-owned one if looking to save a few bucks. As far as computers, it depends on what you are looking for.

For the watch I wear just about anything from Dress to Diver as for the Laptop wanna get another Lenovo
which Lenovo that's something I'll need to look at more closely.
in memory of bigedsurf.
abduksion
Old Fart

Postby abduksion » July 11th 2017, 11:14am

iwasbanned wrote:Why don't you start with what watch you want and then figure the rest.

I wish I knew I'll just keep looking till I find the watch I feel comfortable spending the money on.
in memory of bigedsurf.
abduksion
Old Fart

Postby foghorn » July 11th 2017, 1:51pm

Go with a good jeweler with a good selection and knowledgeable sales staff. They should also have some sort of in house watch repair. Don't go local just because it's convenient. Like I said in the other thread-you aren't that remote that you can't access a reputable AD with a good selection in the price range you say you are looking at.
If this wiill be your first "big ticket" purchase go new an from an AD. Covers your ass for a couple of years just in case.
And like Juan said- first decide what you want,then start looking. It's very dangerous to walk int the AD with a pocket full of cash and no clue exactly what you want. More often than not you end up buying the first shiny new watch you see, only to realize later that you liked something else more. Don't ask how I know. Just a hunch.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby bobbee » July 11th 2017, 2:05pm

It's my BD too in a couple of weeks (26th.), so buy me a cheap watch and get yourself a cheaper laptop!:)
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » July 11th 2017, 2:21pm

foghorn wrote:Go with a good jeweler with a good selection and knowledgeable sales staff. They should also have some sort of in house watch repair. Don't go local just because it's convenient. Like I said in the other thread-you aren't that remote that you can't access a reputable AD with a good selection in the price range you say you are looking at.
If this wiill be your first "big ticket" purchase go new an from an AD. Covers your ass for a couple of years just in case.
And like Juan said- first decide what you want,then start looking. It's very dangerous to walk int the AD with a pocket full of cash and no clue exactly what you want. More often than not you end up buying the first shiny new watch you see, only to realize later that you liked something else more. Don't ask how I know. Just a hunch.

Well the thing is I have a Gift Card to a local Jewelry store I've been saving it for this upcoming Saturday
I could of used it before but want to wait for the right moment.
in memory of bigedsurf.
abduksion
Old Fart

Postby biglove » July 11th 2017, 5:09pm

abduksion wrote:
foghorn wrote:Go with a good jeweler with a good selection and knowledgeable sales staff. They should also have some sort of in house watch repair. Don't go local just because it's convenient. Like I said in the other thread-you aren't that remote that you can't access a reputable AD with a good selection in the price range you say you are looking at.

Well the thing is I have a Gift Card to a local Jewelry store I've been saving it for this upcoming Saturday

Is said gift card for a significant amount, say $250+?

If not, you may be better off buying used or gray. Can always go try on some things you are interested in. That's always free.

Really think you need to put in your due diligence with proper research. As it is, a vague want for a new watch without some further ideas is a recipe for a regretted buy.

Set your price limit, determine if there is a specific brand you want, then research the hell out of their models. This is where Google and forum reviews are your friend.

A vague question such as "I have $1000, what watch should I buy?" is just too damned broad and will get you nothing worthwhile. And there are hundreds of posts like that at WUS with thousands of answers. And that's really what this and the other post feel like.

And $2K is more than enough for a nice laptop, unless gaming (and in that case an XBox is a better buy) or CAD/PS is your thing, and still have enough for a $1K+ watch. Hell, a $200 Chromebook is just fine for surfing the net.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby abduksion » July 11th 2017, 5:19pm

biglove wrote:
abduksion wrote:

Is said gift card for a significant amount, say $250+?

If not, you may be better off buying used or gray. Can always go try on some things you are interested in. That's always free.

Really think you need to put in your due diligence with proper research. As it is, a vague want for a new watch without some further ideas is a recipe for a regretted buy.

Set your price limit, determine if there is a specific brand you want, then research the hell out of their models. This is where Google and forum reviews are your friend.

A vague question such as "I have $1000, what watch should I buy?" is just too damned broad and will get you nothing worthwhile. And there are hundreds of post like that at WUS with thousands of answers.

Its less then $100 but I can cover the rest if I happen to find what I like. I know this local jeweler carries
Shinola, Citizen, Seiko, Movado, ESQ, Breitling, Oris and Used Rolex which are a hit or miss.
in memory of bigedsurf.
abduksion
Old Fart

Postby TemerityB » July 11th 2017, 6:36pm

foghorn wrote:Go with a good jeweler with a good selection and knowledgeable sales staff.

Bingo. That's been my credo for years now. And I'm sure fog would agree that a "good jeweler" doesn't necessarily mean an AD - it could be a store that sells new and pre-owned stuff that really knows their stuff. There's a jewelry and watch store in Long Island that's a long way from where I live, but they have a watchmaker on staff and the trust factor means a whole lot. Plus, as fog notes, these people stand behind what they sell. They want you as a customer, especially these days.

Buying in person is the most underrated thing in this hobby. I like to save a buck as much as the next person, but even if you're spending just a few hundred dollars, a good retailer is well worth the effort to find.
"No way was I ever going over to the dark side of WL." – Abraham-Louis Brequet
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby AntFarm » July 11th 2017, 6:49pm

abduksion wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:Why don't you start with what watch you want and then figure the rest.

I wish I knew I'll just keep looking till I find the watch I feel comfortable spending the money on.

If you don't know what you want to buy then save your money. That local guy seems to have a pretty good assortment for you to try on and check out so I would start there. Figure out style and brand and move on from there J M $0.02
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk