Hodinkee Sea Dweller article for the fans

Hodinkee Sea Dweller article for the fans

Postby bedlam » July 6th 2017, 5:38pm

If you can stomach Clymer regurgitating every fact he can from the entire history of Rolex dive watches and gushing relentlessly about the watch, except for taking time to almost question the cyclops and the watches depth rating, then this is for you.

Apparently the only possible options if you don't want this watch are the Swiss IWC Aquatimer or the Swiss Omega Ploprof. Its as though the Japanese Seiko 1000m Marinemaster didn't exist for him. I'm shocked, just shocked.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-r ... nce-126600

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Re: Hodinkee Sea Dweller article for the fans

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 6th 2017, 6:19pm

I have skimmed through it- I hardly ever read what he writes, spare for editorials, where the title and thesis alone are silly enough; then, I read it to give it a round of proper bombardment in the Bring a Brain threads on WUS.

Personally, I think that his "journalism" is rubbish (he has no notion of ethics in journalism- the ulterior motive for the hype, the unsavoury collaborations with watch manufacturers...), and his editorials are a rancid fest of useless and masturbatory musings of a self-aggrandized snob.

As to him ignoring the Japanese competition for the watch- keep in mind, that since he's a poser, his narrow and very limited perspective made, makes and will make itself known every single time. I mean, can you expect a Donkey to run in the Grand National or at Ascot?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 6th 2017, 11:44pm

There's an unhealthy worship of Rolex in the watch world

Personally I dig most of the Seiko watch you mentioned, except the outer circle rim outside of the bezel looks tacky
PiningforElgin

Postby AJC » July 7th 2017, 6:41am

PiningforElgin wrote:There's an unhealthy worship of Rolex in the watch world

Someone ping Smellody.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » July 7th 2017, 7:01am

PiningforElgin wrote:There's an unhealthy worship of Rolex in the watch world

True dat ,homie.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Return to General Watch talk