Photobucket Breaks Image Links

Re: Photobucket Breaks Image Links

Postby AJC » July 1st 2017, 6:58am

artman wrote:http://i.imgur.com/eGy3fSI.jpg
Damn I can't get it to work!

Select that .jpg address and hit the "Img" button here above the text box (between the "*" and "URL" buttons.)

There should be a way to do it directly from imgur. Looks for the words "bbcode" and it should have something to copy and paste. Do you have a sceenshot of what it looks like on imgur. It would be easier for me to show you what to do.

-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » July 1st 2017, 7:12am

My Photobucket still works too, but I am on a mobile device. In order to download an app, I have to have my CC on file for purchases. Usually there is a pop-up window asking me if I authorize the purchase and I have to type my password. I'm hoping I don't get charged by Photobucket. With the sneaky $hit they just pulled I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck a large payment through.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » July 1st 2017, 7:19am

artman wrote:http://i.imgur.com/eGy3fSI.jpg
Damn I can't get it to work!

There is a little pop up next to the code, on the left with the green down pointing arrow, click it and it gives the options for embedding. Select BB Code and then copy the link in the box on right. Paste that link.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » July 1st 2017, 8:19am

AJC wrote:I've been pushing imgur on you motherfuckers for years. Free hosting and posting, albums, instant bbcoding for forums. Free and no ads.

Also imgur is a big proponent of net neutrality and, in the past, fighting SOPA. I wouldn't think about using any other image hosting site.

Imgur.

Yup. This is one of the few times I've actually listened to a fucking millennial smart young person for advice. Imgur's the tits, and photobucket can suck my motherfucking dick.*

"suck my motherfucking dick" gag ©2016 Reclinervision Enterprises & Laff Riot Partners.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby gerdson » July 1st 2017, 8:37am

I started in this "business" with photobucket, and switched to servimg.com when they fucked up their user interface in a way that annoyed me so much, that I barely logon there anymore. I can understand though, that they want to see some cash for their services, especially from users like us, using a direct link and bypassing any way for them to sneak in their commercials. But how would they then finance themselves? Anyways the amount they are asking for now is a sign for either desperation or just plain stupidity (or both).

I also thought about hosting the pictures myself. My wife has a webpage hosted by a German provider, and we have plenty of unused space there. But the URL is directly linked to our home adress... I kind of figured that is no wise idea either when showing off with a watch collection.

imgur... ok, I will take a look. But I don't think anything in this world is "for free", so what is the catch about them?
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Postby gerdson » July 1st 2017, 8:43am

damn, that was fast to register...
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » July 1st 2017, 8:51am

gerdson wrote:damn, that was fast to register...

Good looking watch...yeah, no problems w/ Imgur so far...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » July 1st 2017, 9:13am

AJC wrote:I've been pushing imgur on you motherfuckers for years. Free hosting and posting, albums, instant bbcoding for forums. Free and no ads.

Also imgur is a big proponent of net neutrality and, in the past, fighting SOPA. I wouldn't think about using any other image hosting site.

Imgur.

You didn't have to tell me twice - shifted a couple years ago.

What's mysterious to me is that what little spam I get from them is generally only pointing out some "meme of the day" or "most viral". Their income model is opaque to me which suggests the free ride may not go on forever. Imgur is so fucking much better than Photobucket the entire enterprise baffles me albeit in a good way.

Photobucket's biggest fuck-up in my estimation is that they managed to make their minimum 3rd party hosting tier considerably more expensive than simply setting up one's own.

Mysterious or not, Imgur is working a treat.

In addition to snagging the embed code it's just as easy to right click / select "copy image address" / hit the "Img" button on the forum edit box and paste the image address.

In stark contrast Facebook's income model is obvious - we're the product, not the customer.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » July 1st 2017, 9:34am

gerdson wrote:But I don't think anything in this world is "for free", so what is the catch about them?

I haven't seen a catch in the 5+ years I've been using it.

From what I remember it was started by regular joes to post pics on Reddit that were fed up with Photobucket and the rest of the corporate photo hosting sites.

Not sure if it still is, but it's still been perfect for me.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » July 1st 2017, 9:34am

Yup, t'works..
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 1st 2017, 9:59am

Global warming? Thousands of refugees drowning on the way to Europe? North Korean nuclear tests? Millions of kids dying from malaria every year? Don't bum me out, man! Photobucket wants to charge me four hundred bucks to keep up my fucking kitten pictures!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby kip » July 1st 2017, 10:33am

While I can understand the want/need to garner more income, submitting to extortion is deplorable. This so called business move by Photobucket, with no warning or grandfathering is unforgivable. They have not only affected forums, blogs and businesses worldwide, but the many millions of innocent people who do not have their photos backed up elsewhere. Even trying to download the photos/albums is almost an effort in futility.

In recent times I have also been migrating to Imgur as the advertising, pop ups and slow response time of Photobucket has degraded to deplorable and unusable most of the time. While I don't fault them for wanting a new income stream, regardless of how ridiculous the cost, to resort to these tactics without advance warning is ludicrous. Even if they correct the issue, I am gone. They have made a mess of the CW forum, in particular our Gallery and Reference Gallery that will take months to restore properly.

I would assume that there will be legal action involved in the not to distant future that will be the death knell of Photobucket. What was once a wonderful service with minor advertising has stepped way over the line. At this point, whenever I am able to complete my downloads will be the last I ever care to hear about these jackasses again.
kip
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Hawk » July 1st 2017, 10:41am

conjurer wrote:Global warming? Thousands of refugees drowning on the way to Europe? North Korean nuclear tests? Millions of kids dying from malaria every year? Don't bum me out, man! Photobucket wants to charge me four hundred bucks to keep up my fucking kitten pictures!!

Well, not to point out the obvious but that's 400.00 you could have sent to EFF, ACLU, PP, Médecins Sans Frontières, Nature Conservancy. Yadda.

Or, perhaps in my case, two bottles of Suntori single malt.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby gerdson » July 1st 2017, 12:15pm

Wait, people can not even download their own stuff anymore? They are held for ransom? Seems wannacry is nothing against that. I need to check that. Don't really care, I have it all on my local pc.

AJC wrote:
gerdson wrote:But I don't think anything in this world is "for free", so what is the catch about them?

I haven't seen a catch in the 5+ years I've been using it.

From what I remember it was started by regular joes to post pics on Reddit that were fed up with Photobucket and the rest of the corporate photo hosting sites.

Not sure if it still is, but it's still been perfect for me.

Yeah, but that is what we thought about google also, once...
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby AntFarm » July 1st 2017, 1:14pm

Photobucket sucks... Too many ads and popups. Too fucking slow. AJC has been right all these years. Imgur is the shit... Who''d a thunk it...
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » July 1st 2017, 1:24pm

I made this tutorial on using imgur here a few years ago, and have updated it below:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13153#p309412

________

How to post photos using imgur:

Create account
http://imgur.com/

Click 'New Post' button

Browse or drag photo(s) and they upload automatically

Select 'images' from top right menu from your username, then select your image

(desktop) Copy 'BB Code' link

(mobile) Select 'BB Code' from menu and copy link

Paste that code directly into your watchlords post (no need to click the 'Img' button here as that part is included in the link already)Image
Last edited by Racer-X on July 1st 2017, 5:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby artman » July 1st 2017, 3:45pm

I can't find the frikn BBCode. Your windows look different than what I see on my tablet and phone.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » July 1st 2017, 4:01pm

artman wrote:I can't find the frikn BBCode. Your windows look different than what I see on my tablet and phone.

Upoald orocess is same after you have an account. See my post above; has what the mobile website looks like for linking. I don't use the Imgur app, it sucks for uploads and linking.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Racer-X » July 1st 2017, 5:24pm

artman wrote:I can't find the frikn BBCode. Your windows look different than what I see on my tablet and phone.

Once on your photo, click the highlighted box, select BBCode from the menu, then copy link.

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Bahoomba » July 3rd 2017, 7:03am

Wow, did I get lucky. Turns out my CC date expired before my yearly date to automatically resubscribe to the "no ads" account. So now, even if they wanted to gouge me for the upgraded fees, they can't, because they have no CC info. Two days ago, I took about an hour and put all the photos I have on Photobucket and moved them to an external hard drive. A problem solved and an FU to Photobucket, and I didn't even have to lift a finger.
“From now on, let's see if you can possibly avoid playing kowtow to your whimsey.”
- Mr. Monahan, The Honeymooners
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » July 5th 2017, 8:52am

I need a different hosting than imgur, some here may like it but it flat out sucks on my tablet and phone. It is very confusing and too time consuming for me. Plus, I couldn't figure out how to private some pictures of friends and some inbred have made comments. Trashing grandma ain't cool.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby TemerityB » July 5th 2017, 1:28pm

svaglic wrote:I need a different hosting than imgur, some here may like it but it flat out sucks on my tablet and phone. It is very confusing and too time consuming for me. Plus, I couldn't figure out how to private some pictures of friends and some inbred have made comments. Trashing grandma ain't cool.

So true. I don't even know if Imgur has a way to make photos private. If not, it's a definite minus.

BTW - click on "Plans" on the PB page and those new pricing guidelines are there, and they were reported correctly. Dead site walking.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby koimaster » July 5th 2017, 1:34pm

open up settings in the right hand corner where your ID is. You can set your images to public or private same as your albums. You can also download all of them at one time.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby bobbee » July 5th 2017, 1:46pm

Postimage for those who like it simple.

https://postimages.org/
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » July 8th 2017, 4:20pm

It appears to me that to save images here and elsewhere you have to upgrade to the $39.00 annual package they have. Extortion without a doubt in my mind but the only way to save threads or posts that have relied on PB.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

PreviousNext

Return to General Watch talk