Photobucket Breaks Image Links

Photobucket Breaks Image Links

Postby koimaster » June 30th 2017, 2:12pm

Want embedded Photobucket images to continue loading in forums or on your website? Be prepared to pay $399 per year.

Embedding images on a website or in a forum post is a very common practice, with those images usually living on one of the many well-known image hosting websites. One such host is Photobucket, but a recent change to its subscription tiers means many millions of images across the Internet are no longer going to load outside of Photobucket's own site.

The key feature of a Photobucket account we're talking about here is called "3rd Party Hosting." It allows you to embed images from Photobucket in another location on the Internet, e.g. in a forum post or on a website.

As Norvic Philatelics discovered, Photobucket changed its terms and conditions and removed the 3rd Party Hosting feature from the lower subscription tiers. If you want to continue using that feature then a Photobucket Plus 500 subscription is required. It costs $39.99 per month or $399 per year.

Not only is that very expensive, it means existing Photobucket accounts on lower subscriptions tiers will have any embedded images they've created in the past cease to work. Considering Photobucket has been around since 2003 and hosts over 10 billion images, that's potentially millions of embedded images across the Internet being broken thanks to a policy change. Here's just one example of how this change impacts a forum thread.

The worst part of this debacle, according to Ghacks.net, is the fact Photobucket users were apparently given no warning of the change. The subscription features simply changed, and images stopped loading without explanation.

There's hope this is a mistake, or that Photobucket's management will realize the scale of the problem they have created with this change. But if that doesn't happen, expect to see that Photobucket broken link image above many times in the coming months.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Photobucket Breaks Image Links

Postby codguy » June 30th 2017, 2:47pm

Would rather not post pictures than to pay this fee. Luckily (for now), IMGUR still works here.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » June 30th 2017, 3:23pm

Yep, no warning, can't post any links and I'm deleting my account accordingly (or fuck Photobucket )
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby artman » June 30th 2017, 3:41pm

Crap.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » June 30th 2017, 3:46pm

Here was my message to them and Robert (the Photobucket robot reply)...

3rd party hosting account hijacked without warning ? really? well fuck you all and please delete my account at once, regards, Eddie Ardanza

On Jun 30, 2017, at 6:44 PM, Photobucket Support <support@photobucket.com> wrote:

**## Please do not write below this line ##**
Hi eddieardanza,

This is an auto-response from Robert, the Photobucket robot, to your email regarding deleting your account. The following information may help to delete your Photobucket account. If you are still unable to delete the account, please reply back to this email and a Photobucket Support Representative will contact you shortly.

For security reasons, we ask that you log into the account and delete it yourself. Click here for step by step instructions on how to delete your account: http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... my-Account"

If you do not have access to your account, click here for step by step instructions on how to recover it: https://secure.photobucket.com/forgot

For information regarding why your account or name is searchable on Google, go here: http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... gle-Search

Please reply to this email if you have any other questions. The Photobucket Support Team will get to your ticket as soon as possible!

Robert
(The Photobucket robot)

Do you know you can remove Advertising on Photobucket?

Without distracting ads, you can enjoy everything you love about Photobucket. For only $1.49 per month, you can remove the Ads in the background. Upgrade your free account to 'Ad Free' plan and experience Photobucket without advertisements! Click here to remove Ads: http://www.photobucket.com/pricing/adfree

The VIP Experience

Get the most out of your membership. Choose the plan that’s right for you where you’ll get more storage, unlimited bandwidth, Ad free browsing, FREE monthly Print Shop giveaways, and more! Click here to view plans & learn more: http://www.photobucket.com/pricing

Your ticket information:

Your ticket information:

eddieardan
eddieardanza
Jun 30, 4:44 PM MDT

[
Last edited by eddiea on June 30th 2017, 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Racer-X » June 30th 2017, 3:58pm

I hated photobucket since day one. Imgur about to get a whole bunch of new customers.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » June 30th 2017, 4:04pm

I'm one!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » June 30th 2017, 4:09pm

They are also making it very hard to download your photos

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby tiktok » June 30th 2017, 4:11pm

My Bucket is still working, any thoughts on this, it sounds like a ggreat way to destroy a company.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mark1 » June 30th 2017, 4:38pm

I haven't logged into Photobucket in a while. All their ads and scripts made the site very slow and unbearable to use. Don't see how going from free to $400 a year is going to work out for them long term. I suspect most will just abandon their account. Some businesses or individuals will be compelled by circumstances to pony up the money, but it's hard to believe very many will.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby tiktok » June 30th 2017, 4:44pm

Has anyonenoticed that Google looks weird today? Actually less ads and such.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » June 30th 2017, 4:47pm

tiktok wrote:My Bucket is still working, any thoughts on this, it sounds like a ggreat way to destroy a company.

Maybe they made an exception for NYC accounts?..they don't like people in Tx, apparently...I won't miss those invasive ads, though!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » June 30th 2017, 6:39pm

Register your own domain and a basic hosting package for under $15 a year. Been doing it for a decade.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby biglove » June 30th 2017, 6:42pm

tiktok wrote:Has anyonenoticed that Google looks weird today? Actually less ads and such.

Wonder if is in response to the European judgement and fine against Google this week?

https://www.economist.com/news/business ... evies-huge
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » June 30th 2017, 6:56pm

Mine is working okay, too, but I'm cancelling anyway. The thing sucks even without new account tiers; freaking thing is down half the time as it is.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby SynMike » June 30th 2017, 9:36pm

I paid the $8/year for an ad-free account starting about 3 years ago. The site works much faster now, no ads. Not perfect interface but acceptable. Paying the fee was easier than moving my pictures elsewhere. It is still working for me. I think. I can see this image, can you?

SynMike
Senior Member & WIS

Postby tiktok » June 30th 2017, 9:55pm

Yep
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » July 1st 2017, 3:50am

Yep, can see it.
I have used postimage.org for six years, they are the best.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby AJC » July 1st 2017, 5:26am

I've been pushing imgur on you motherfuckers for years. Free hosting and posting, albums, instant bbcoding for forums. Free and no ads.

Also imgur is a big proponent of net neutrality and, in the past, fighting SOPA. I wouldn't think about using any other image hosting site.

Imgur.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » July 1st 2017, 5:37am

I just opened an imgur account. How da fukk do you post photos? A little help here please!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » July 1st 2017, 5:46am

Click the photo and there should be a menu at the top, drop it down and select bbcode.

Copy and paste that in your post.

Edit: that's the mobile version . on the desktop version, open the picture and copy and paste the bbcode to the right of the picture.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » July 1st 2017, 5:54am

On Photobucket there is a share for Imgur. Is this a way to download albums to Imgur?
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » July 1st 2017, 6:14am

svaglic wrote:On Photobucket there is a share for Imgur. Is this a way to download albums to Imgur?

Sounds right.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » July 1st 2017, 6:17am

http://i.imgur.com/eGy3fSI.jpg
Damn I can't get it to work!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Kahuna74 » July 1st 2017, 6:56am

tiktok wrote:My Bucket is still working, any thoughts on this, it sounds like a ggreat way to destroy a company.

My bucket still works as well?
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Next

Return to General Watch talk