Just sayin'

Just sayin'

Postby foghorn » June 18th 2017, 6:41pm

For all those who feel that an automatic movement" breaks in" . Are you filled with dread if you get a watch that is spot on out of the box?

I am the least mechanically inclined person in the universe. While I can (somewhat) appreciate the intricacies of hand made ,in house movements a simple NH35 , or basic Timex auto movements from the 60's still inspire awe in my simple mind.

I have finally figured out that I like the way a watch looks over how it works. I'd rather wear a good looking watch with a pedestrian movement than a fucking ugly watch with a perpetual minute repeater tourbillon solid gold with platinum micro rotor enamel bird dial automaton limited production one of a kind FTF'nW offering from a starving independent genius watchmaker whose watches are models of mechanical perfection but totally useless as daily wearers.

The hour hands on Tudors were designed by Matt Groening, right?

Titanium is a joke. Too light. Too easily marked. And even though it's stronger than steel how many actually use that as an advantage to beat it up? And if it's so fucking tough why do manufacturers add all this extra shit to make it even more betterer and durabler than steel than it already , supposedly , is?

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Re: Just sayin'

Postby artman » June 18th 2017, 7:06pm

Why does the NH35 get knocked for being simple whereas the 7S26 gets praised for being a workhorse?
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » June 18th 2017, 9:52pm

I think snowflake and Mercedes hands were an experiment to see how ugly things could be made and see if people still buy them.

Titanium is fine...the case on my Shogun is still flawless after years of use.

Agree about ugly watch/awesome movement vs beautiful watch/ok movement.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby MAX » June 19th 2017, 4:42am

My experience with watches spot on out of the box is that they tend to stay that way.
Since I rarely wear the same watch several days in a row it doesnt matter to me.
Rather have one run fast than slow however.
My 7s26 seems more accurate than my early NH35s. Out of 5 NH35s, two were far off while the latest 3 seem quite accurate.
Ill take form over function in a watch.
Where am I going with this?
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
MAX
Founding Member

Postby codguy » June 19th 2017, 5:16am

foghorn wrote:The hour hands on Tudors were designed by Matt Groening, right?

Yep

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » June 19th 2017, 5:35am

artman wrote:Why does the NH35 get knocked for being simple whereas the 7S26 gets praised for being a workhorse?

If you read past threads, 7S26's have been seen as agricultural as the NH35 , actually I was so frustrated with my gen1 Monster poor adjustment from the factory that I paid $60 to have the goddamned watch professionally adjusted (and re-tested for the 200meters W/R specs) it came back running at COSC specs but, that lasted about 3/4 months and when back to a shitty timekeeping....
I have much better luck with basic Orient models, widely known for been perfectly adjusted out of the box, even though are fitted with inexpensive movements as well...
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 19th 2017, 7:17am

eddiea wrote:[
I have much better luck with basic Orient models, widely known for been perfectly adjusted out of the box, even though are fitted with inexpensive movements as well...[/i]

Yep.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby smellody » June 19th 2017, 7:45am

I think Rolex makes the best watches in the world. I think Rolex reputation and quality are known the world around, maybe short of a few ass backwards areas down under.

Pencil, cathedral, snowflake, sword, and lollipop manufactured by Rolex are hands that should be cherished. One hand alone, in many cases, is more valuable than every other watch listed in this thread.

Guess what! In fifty years, it will be the same story.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Return to General Watch talk