“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Time to train new watchmakers

Postby TemerityB » June 16th 2017, 11:01am

God, would I love to to this. I'm too old, I'm sure, but to become a watchmaker would be a great way to serve my remaining time. I'm being utterly serious as I write this.

Just dreamin' out loud.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » June 16th 2017, 2:37pm

I'm not sure there are a lot of candidates out there that would be successful. A lot of the attributes needed can't really be taught. The patience, steadiness, eyesight and ability to sit on short stools at really high workbenches for hours are just as important as the desire to be a watchmaker.
It's like anyone can learn to play an instrument but you need that "je ne sasi quoi" to be a musician.
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby biglove » June 16th 2017, 6:06pm

You can teach almost anyone to play a piano; but, not everyone will be a Billy Joel. Some of it is just genetics with good training and discipline added.

My dream was always to be a helicopter pilot and I came close to going back for it; but, knew I would have to drop 150#s. And it would have been better if I was 5'9" instead of 6'4". Oh, and had had better eyesight. The pacer/defib implantation ended that dream completely.

I would like to fancy myself able to learn the watchmaking trade; but, it would kill my back/shoulders. My eyesight, sans glasses, is actually like a magnifying glass but depth of field is less than a half inch and I would have to be about two inches from the movement, breathing all over it. And my hands aren't as steady as they once were and I sure as hell don't have the patience.

Looks like I will stick with my desk job as an RN and pray it holds out until I retire.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk