Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Re: Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 15th 2017, 2:48pm

Zenith, in terms of chronometers, is quite interesting- they were one of the three manufacturers, who won the most awards in the chronometer competition at the Neuchatel Observatory. However, in regular production, they did not care all that much for having their watches certified; with their reputation, they didn't - and don't - really need to. I would be surprised, if any of the contemporary Zeniths would perform out of the COSC specification.

As to performance within COSC-spec, but no certification, the accuracy is not always what sets a "higher end" movement apart from the "pedestrian" ones. That's especially the case with movements featuring a high number of complications, and movements designed with emphasis on power reserve, for example ones with a power reserve of 8 days or more, where 2 or 3 large mainspring barrels are squeezed into the movement at the expense of the balance wheel size.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » June 16th 2017, 6:16am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote: the accuracy is not always what sets a "higher end" movement apart from the "pedestrian" ones.

If you were responding to my post:
codguy wrote:This is part of what sets apart "higher end" wartches from pedestrian ones.

Please note I said wartches, not movement. For the most part, I can care less what movement is installed in a wartch providing it doesn't have maintenance issues.
It is my belief that most "higher end" manufactures take pride in offering mechanical wartches that are accurate. Pedestrian models, not so much (trust me, I have acouple of both).

The truly nice thing about integrated strap/bracelet watches..... it prevents someone from fucking them up with a gay NATO strap.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » June 16th 2017, 6:37am

Personally, if it's within 20-30 seconds, I'll wear the watch.

But I wouldn't buy (new) or sell a watch that is so inaccurate.

Nobody is gonna care of i said that. This post right here has no substance. Have a wonderful day.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Falstaff » June 16th 2017, 8:11am

AJC wrote:Personally, if it's within 20-30 seconds, I'll wear the watch.

Nobody is gonna care of i said that. This post right here has no substance. Have a wonderful day.

This statement is clearly well within COSC standards of statement accuracy.
In the space of one hour is Babylon the Great thrown down. Not a stone remained standing upon another and the reek of her burning did poison all the earth and the smoke thereof did blot out the sun so that noon-day did appear as midnight. Alas Babylon!
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » June 16th 2017, 9:27am

Falstaff wrote:
AJC wrote:Personally, if it's within 20-30 seconds, I'll wear the watch.

This statement is clearly well within COSC standards of statement accuracy.

:D
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Previous

Return to General Watch talk