Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Re: Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 15th 2017, 2:48pm

Zenith, in terms of chronometers, is quite interesting- they were one of the three manufacturers, who won the most awards in the chronometer competition at the Neuchatel Observatory. However, in regular production, they did not care all that much for having their watches certified; with their reputation, they didn't - and don't - really need to. I would be surprised, if any of the contemporary Zeniths would perform out of the COSC specification.

As to performance within COSC-spec, but no certification, the accuracy is not always what sets a "higher end" movement apart from the "pedestrian" ones. That's especially the case with movements featuring a high number of complications, and movements designed with emphasis on power reserve, for example ones with a power reserve of 8 days or more, where 2 or 3 large mainspring barrels are squeezed into the movement at the expense of the balance wheel size.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 590
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby codguy » June 16th 2017, 6:16am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote: the accuracy is not always what sets a "higher end" movement apart from the "pedestrian" ones.


If you were responding to my post:
codguy wrote:This is part of what sets apart "higher end" wartches from pedestrian ones.


Please note I said wartches, not movement. For the most part, I can care less what movement is installed in a wartch providing it doesn't have maintenance issues.
It is my belief that most "higher end" manufactures take pride in offering mechanical wartches that are accurate. Pedestrian models, not so much (trust me, I have acouple of both).
.


Image
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 4705
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby AJC » June 16th 2017, 6:37am

Personally, if it's within 20-30 seconds, I'll wear the watch.

But I wouldn't buy (new) or sell a watch that is so inaccurate.

Nobody is gonna care of i said that. This post right here has no substance. Have a wonderful day.
-Madvillian
User avatar
AJC
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: May 14th 2012, 10:00pm
Location: Greater Philadelphia Shithole

Re: Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby Falstaff » June 16th 2017, 8:11am

AJC wrote:Personally, if it's within 20-30 seconds, I'll wear the watch.

But I wouldn't buy (new) or sell a watch that is so inaccurate.

Nobody is gonna care of i said that. This post right here has no substance. Have a wonderful day.



This statement is clearly well within COSC standards of statement accuracy.
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
What's the problem HAL?
I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6271
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby Thunder1 » June 16th 2017, 9:27am

Falstaff wrote:
AJC wrote:Personally, if it's within 20-30 seconds, I'll wear the watch.

But I wouldn't buy (new) or sell a watch that is so inaccurate.

Nobody is gonna care of i said that. This post right here has no substance. Have a wonderful day.



This statement is clearly well within COSC standards of statement accuracy.

:D
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2685
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Previous

Return to General Watch talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests