Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby Racer-X » June 13th 2017, 5:40pm

by Andrew Connor "The watch world is full of highly technical, often highly French terms that any normal person, reasonably, doesn’t know. Welcome, then, to Horology in a Hurry, a semi-regular column where we’ll break down these terms at length one at a time to give you a better understanding of how watches work. This week: Chronometer."

Article at Gear Patrol

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Does a Mechanical Watch Actually Need to Be Accurate?

Postby 3Flushes » June 13th 2017, 5:56pm

I spose the akkercy ownlee matturs if won has tew be Sumwuere at an Apoyntid tyme. fer an apoyntmint

If sew' whare a kwarts. :lol:
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » June 13th 2017, 6:09pm

Yea that. Over romanticized automatic movements have felled many a manly heart.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » June 13th 2017, 6:42pm

The GS Chronometer 45 smashed the Swiss in accuracy back in the day, and it was a watch you could actually buy. Jump to today and 3 Swiss watches are pictured but GS hi-beat doesn't rate a mention in a story on accurate mechanicals? Nothing has changed.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » June 13th 2017, 6:56pm

3Flushes wrote:I spose the akkercy ownlee matturs if won has tew be Sumwuere at an Apoyntid tyme. fer an apoyntmint

If sew' whare a kwarts. :lol:

yeppers. & the Revvooer uses Way two manny commas he Shud bea Arthur more like robert Gobsmack.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby smellody » June 13th 2017, 6:58pm

Yes.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby artman » June 13th 2017, 7:02pm

No. That's what my phone is for.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » June 13th 2017, 8:05pm

bedlam wrote:The GS Chronometer 45 smashed the Swiss in accuracy back in the day, and it was a watch you could actually buy. Jump to today and 3 Swiss watches are pictured but GS hi-beat doesn't rate a mention in a story on accurate mechanicals? Nothing has changed.

You answered the question in your own statement.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » June 13th 2017, 9:51pm

If it isn't accurate, it fails it its purpose of marking time.

That's like asking if a surgeon needs to be skillful with a knife. Sure,any schlep that graduated med school and finished his general surgery residency can slice you open and take out a foot of colon; but, would you settle for that? Maybe if you had no other option; but, we all know that given the chance, we want a doc who is actually good at what he does.

Same applies to mechanical movements.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » June 14th 2017, 12:11am

My vintage have to be accurate within at least a minute a day. I usually set the time 5 ahead because I like to be early, but if my watch can't keep to a minute it is useless until a service.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 14th 2017, 1:11am

Depends on the watch. If we're talking about, shall we say, a verge-fusee from 1750 or thereabouts, no. Mostly because they never were accurate- their accuracy was measured in minutes per day. Guess nobody bothered back then. But from a lever escapement (or anything better than a cylinder, a pin-lever or a Roskopf escapement) pocket watch or wristwatch, from the early 19th century until this day, one could expect more; guess a minute per day is the maximum, and the newer the watch, the bigger the expectations.
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on June 14th 2017, 6:26am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » June 14th 2017, 2:31am

Depends on how one defines accurate.
A watch that is off by 30 secs a day is still something like 98% accurate given that there are 86,000 seconds a day.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » June 14th 2017, 6:17am

foghorn wrote:Depends on how one defines accurate.
A watch that is off by 30 secs a day is still something like 98% accurate given that there are 86,000 seconds a day.

A watch that is off by 30 seconds a day, every day is actually very accurate is all about the adjustment at the assembly point that counts .... I found the poor adjustment on those ever popular SII NH3X family of movements , very disappointing ...
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby iwasbanned » June 14th 2017, 6:52am

eddiea wrote:

A watch that is off by 30 seconds a day, every day is actually very accurate is all about the adjustment at the assembly point that counts .... I found the poor adjustment on those ever popular SII NH3X family of movements , very disappointing ...

All in how you look at it as the rooster says. For me 30s/day is unacceptable. In 4 days, less than a work week, you could be 2-3 minutes late to meetings. Unacceptable.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby DocKlock » June 14th 2017, 6:53am

Ben retirred 10 yers, sew ifin my macanickal wartch is close to reel tyme, its close nuf fer me.
Ifin I kneed acurate thyme eye use my quart wartch or my eyephone.
DocKlock
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » June 14th 2017, 10:19am

iwasbanned wrote:
eddiea wrote:

All in how you look at it as the rooster says. For me 30s/day is unacceptable. In 4 days, less than a work week, you could be 2-3 minutes late to meetings. Unacceptable.

Even if I wear the same watch for several days in a row, I reset the time daily - whether auto or manual - so that confines any inaccuracy to whatever the daily rate is for that watch.
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
What's the problem HAL?
I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » June 14th 2017, 11:25am

Yes, if you pay enough for it!

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby iwasbanned » June 14th 2017, 12:47pm

Falstaff wrote:Even if I wear the same watch for several days in a row, I reset the time daily - whether auto or manual - so that confines any inaccuracy to whatever the daily rate is for that watch.

iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 14th 2017, 1:15pm

eddiea wrote: I found the poor adjustment on those ever popular SII NH3X family of movements , very disappointing ...

Stuff's been so "underrated" for so long that the truth is they're vastly overrated.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » June 14th 2017, 3:19pm

Kind of a stupid question. A chronometer should be accurate enough to call it a chronometer. Otherwise, they should sell them on TV.
Well, welcome to the real world, my delicate little Instagrammed snowflakes. Piers Morgan
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby foghorn » June 14th 2017, 4:04pm

Mark1 wrote:Kind of a stupid question. A chronometer should be accurate enough to call it a chronometer. Otherwise, they should sell them on TV.

I get a kick out of some threads that I've read over the years where buyers of COSC watches are concerned that their watch is running -3 secs or + 5 secs and feel that it should be adjusted.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » June 14th 2017, 4:11pm

foghorn wrote:
Mark1 wrote:Kind of a stupid question. A chronometer should be accurate enough to call it a chronometer. Otherwise, they should sell them on TV.

I get a kick out of some threads that I've read over the years where buyers of COSC watches are concerned that their watch is running -3 secs or + 5 secs and feel that it should be adjusted.

I'll feel like getting a kick in my ass, if I paid good money for a COSC certified watch that is no performing as stated by the manufacturer, anything else within the parameters, I'm cool with...and -3 or +5 looks cool to me 8-)
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea

Postby conjurer » June 14th 2017, 9:27pm

codguy wrote:Yes, if you pay enough for it!

This.

At a certain price point (insert your own figure here) a watch should be, well, really fucking accurate (insert you +/- times here.)

We are all different; we all have ideas what an expensive watch is, or how accurate it should be. I owned a used Stowa Seatime that kept, for all intents and purposes, almost exact time, with a COSC ETA chronometer 2824 movement. I got the Stowa in a trade, it certainly wasn't new, and the cash value at the time would have been around $1200.

Since then, that's been my benchmark. If a mechanical watch costs more than $1200, it should be very fucking accurate (+/- 2 seconds a day.) I've owned some cheap Seikos that come close to that mark, and in one case, a very expensive Seiko that didn't.

If you're paying a few hundred bucks for a mechanical watch, and it's pretty accurate, you got lucky. If you spend a lot for a mechanical watch that isn't accurate, you got fucked.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
Master of Time

Postby codguy » June 15th 2017, 5:20am

conjurer wrote:If you're paying a few hundred bucks for a mechanical watch, and it's pretty accurate, you got lucky. If you spend a lot for a mechanical watch that isn't accurate, you got fucked.

So true. Example= my non-certified Zenith mechanical is adjusted to COSC specifications. No need to say so on the dial, no need for cert paperwork, it was simply adjusted so it is.

This is part of what sets apart "higher end" wartches from pedestrian ones.

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » June 15th 2017, 9:30am

codguy wrote:
conjurer wrote:If you're paying a few hundred bucks for a mechanical watch, and it's pretty accurate, you got lucky. If you spend a lot for a mechanical watch that isn't accurate, you got fucked.

So true. Example= my non-certified Zenith mechanical is adjusted to COSC specifications. No need to say so on the dial, no need for cert paperwork, it was simply adjusted so it is.

This is part of what sets apart "higher end" wartches from pedestrian ones.

Zenith is a very special brand everything they do, goes above and beyond....
eddiea

Next

Return to General Watch talk