Buying a new watch? Don’t even think about investment value

Buying a new watch? Don’t even think about investment value

Postby Racer-X » June 11th 2017, 9:50am

by Sandra Lane "Being in the watch writing line of work it’s no great surprise that friends and acquaintances often ask me for watch-buying advice. Call it an occupational hazard, call it a compliment that they should consider my advice worth seeking but (unlike a doctor friend, who gets irritated by being asked for free clinical advice at dinner parties) I never tire of talking about watches."

Article at Time and Tide
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Buying a new watch? Don’t even think about investment va

Postby conjurer » June 11th 2017, 10:02am

And so, it you’re contemplating a watch, do your homework on the price (of course) and then ask yourself if you will really, truly love wearing it. As long as you can afford the difference between, say, $10,000 and $15,000, the money doesn’t matter. And then enjoy the three or four decades of pleasure that you will have until the watch (with luck) appreciates in value.

I know plenty of people who will appreciate this advice!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » June 11th 2017, 10:44am

Nautilus vs Aquanaut - the poor man's Nautilus, lol.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby 3Flushes » June 11th 2017, 2:21pm

99.9% of our little marvels are expenditures. Those that will appreciate will do so largely on the basis of an increase in the price of precious metals or a feeding frenzy of collectors brought on by some trivial factor; the angle of the tit of the seconds hand, a celebrity who owned one, the background color of the calandar and so forth. If you have to rationalize buying a watch as an investment, you can't afford it.

Buy them if you can afford them and let your heirs worry about what they'll be worth.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » June 11th 2017, 5:01pm

In 2017, flippers who buy watches as an "investment" are playing a fool's game. Huh!? Even the Rolex golden age of appreciation is long, long over; a 2017 Datejust ain't never gonna appreciate like a 1970 one did. Those new watches - shudder! - are actually gonna be worth a little less in the years to come regardless of quality or style improvements.

Enter the Greek chorus of auction assholes: This can't be happening!!! Sorry, boys; nothing goes up in price forever; try to find a Honus Wagner, and then go fuck yourselves. Try buying a good quality watch and enjoy it for the rest of your life like an actual watch collector would instead of treating the hobby like a slot machine.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » June 11th 2017, 5:08pm

Reduce my collection to 6 watches is my goal this year with emphasis in eco-drives and below $1500 easy to service auto/mechanicals....
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby tiktok » June 11th 2017, 5:11pm

eddiea wrote:Reduce my collection to 6 watches is my goal this year with emphasis in eco-drives and below $1500 easy to service auto/mechanicals....

Somehow I find that hard to believe, you still have that JLC?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » June 11th 2017, 5:23pm

eddiea wrote:Reduce my collection to 6 watches is my goal this year with emphasis in eco-drives and below $1500 easy to service auto/mechanicals....

Ha, good one eddie.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby eddiea » June 11th 2017, 5:55pm

Still have all my watches but, not for long ...keeping what I truly use, focusing on low maintenance pieces that still are nice and different...
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Steelhead » June 12th 2017, 2:34am

The whole "resale value" thing always struck me as the comeback for when the spouse says "you spent HOW MUCH?? on a WATCH????"

"I can sell it and get the money back. It's an investment, see?"
"And they will know that I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance on them"
-- Ezekiel 25:17
Steelhead
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » June 12th 2017, 6:05am

Steelhead wrote:The whole "resale value" thing always struck me as the comeback for when the spouse says "you spent HOW MUCH?? on a WATCH????"

One of the all time best quotes in a watch forum signature, "My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby Thunder1 » June 12th 2017, 6:44am

biglove wrote:
Steelhead wrote:The whole "resale value" thing always struck me as the comeback for when the spouse says "you spent HOW MUCH?? on a WATCH????"

One of the all time best quotes in a watch forum signature, "My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

So true..but what if it turned out that you really could take stuff(that you were buried with) w/ you?..wouldn't it be a drag to start all over again?
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk